One reason our players make bad NFL decisions

Only thing I'll say to this...knowing the pops of one of those LBs will have eyes on posts like this throughout the year...

Just look at the types of LBs that get drafted high in recent years. Also, look at the flood of linebackers that fall in the Round 4 through Round 7 and UDFA that all run similar ht/wt/spd. You gotta stand out. You can't be 4.7 running 3rd team All-Conference player making a good decision jumping to the pro.

And consistently taking bad angles..........caught up in the wash.....etc......

Advertisement
Your analysis is too basic.

Cash bonus of 400,000-600,000 in the fourth round to slightly more than $60,000 in the seventh round. Most 7th rounders are out of the league quick and don’t see all 4 years of the contract. Teams don’t cut 3rd and 4th rounders as quickly.

60k is barely a good night at Crazy Horse III or the Spearmint Rhino.

"underwhelmed" is being very nice. At first glance, he was the worst athlete at the iDL position drafted this year.

I'm willing to give him a little leeway due to injury...but he tested like he straight up can't play. Improving his scores marginally due to injury still make him a poor athlete.

As for the fit...going to be interesting. The Giants added three front seven players in the draft (BJ Hill, Lo Carter, and RJM) and are changing it up to a 34. He's got some work ahead of him if he's going to justify jumping early.
RJ is a great 5tech fit.
Carter is an OLB 100% and Hill is a NT

Advertisement
Only thing I'll say to this...knowing the pops of one of those LBs will have eyes on posts like this throughout the year...

Just look at the types of LBs that get drafted high in recent years. Also, look at the flood of linebackers that fall in the Round 4 through Round 7 and UDFA that all run similar ht/wt/spd. You gotta stand out. You can't be 4.7 running 3rd team All-Conference player making a good decision jumping to the pro.
Well said. It’s a delicate situation. Shaq is the definition of a Cane, and I think we are in unanimous agreement that we are blessed to have him. And we all love papa shaq.

That said, I can’t, in good faith, blow smoke up his ***. He is smart, a leader of men, high football IQ...but he lacks, the lesser of, nfl level (i) athleticism, or (ii) production. If you don’t have the measurables, you need to be a standout at the collegiate level. Standout means first team all-ACC. Shaq better be 1st team before he even considers declaring.

The only reason people keep harping on our players leaving is bc we havent restocked the cubbord properly behind them.

In an ideal world, all players would be leaving after three years; if you dont have players behind them ready to step in then youre not handling the roster properly.
I wonder during our glory years what was the rate of underclassmen leaving for the draft. If it was somewhat significant it certainly had very little impact on our success because the pipeline continue to step in and continue our dominance. If premise is accurate then post I am responding to has a lot of merit. But, naturally, post was down voted because “herd” does not want
to currently hear anything negative about lack of success of program.

Advertisement
Norton and McIntosh made huge mistakes going pro. That got me thinking: why do our players consistently make bad NFL decisions?

There are several reasons, but I think a big one is this: Miami has eight of the 200 highest paid players in the NFL. Nobody has more players in the Top 200. Only Georgia (with Richt) has more players in the Top 100. These are the names:

Olivier Vernon (3rd)
Greg Olsen (1st)
Brandon Linder (3rd)
Calais Campbell (2nd)
Jimmy Graham (3rd)
Allen Hurns (UFA)
Lamar Miller (4th)
Travis Benjamin (4th)

Our guys are getting paid on their second contracts. These guys hang around the program, and players notice. Their mindset is just getting into the league and letting their play carry them to a big deal.

But banking on your second contract is a huge mistake. You can get hurt, and Day 3 picks get a lot less leeway than Day 1 picks. Guys like Norton and Kaaya need to be cautionary tales to the Michael Pickneys of the world. Be like Chad Thomas and leave a legacy in Miami.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...rs-from-each-power-five-program/#6f80e38c1ef6

All good points as usual.

But remember that recruiting-wise we sell UM as being "NFL U".
That is our biggest recruiting card for most of the kids we sign.
It's not the beach, sunny weather, clubs, gameday atmosphere, soBe or even the great academics at the school.
So we have to expect to lose kids once they have a good year, even though in most cases they should
stick around and work on becoming a finished product for the next level.
McIntosh and Norton were ****-bent on bolting for the 2018 draft since last spring.
Decision was made a long time ago, unfortunately, and it is not far fetch to assume that some slimeball
or two got into their heads.

Agreed. I don't understand why people think Shaq or the other LBs will leave early next year. Lbs are picked early based on size and speed neither of which Shaq has. To be honest, I think his ceiling is 3rd round.

People also assume Richards is guaranteed to leave early as well. He would have to stay healthy AND dominate this season.

Did you forget what team Richard plays for? He could get injured during spring ball, be out the entire season, and still declare for the draft.

Kids have the 3 and out mindset before they even step on the field for their first practice. Richt knows this and has said as much when talking about redshirting players. He says most players don't stay four years anymore. Just the culture of the game now. Gotta be even more up on your ish with roster management these days.

Advertisement
We'll see. We thought the same would happen with the class that left early (Golden's first year) with guys like Olivier Vernon, Tommy Streeter, Brandon Washington, etc. But we see it continue to happen. Maybe this is another reminder.

That year was such a **** show that I thought it would be a permanent reminder for our program. Rosenscum’s reputation was so tarnished for having his hands all over it that I was surprised to learn he had his hand in this one as well with RJ.

Norton and McIntosh made huge mistakes going pro. That got me thinking: why do our players consistently make bad NFL decisions?

There are several reasons, but I think a big one is this: Miami has eight of the 200 highest paid players in the NFL. Nobody has more players in the Top 200. Only Georgia (with Richt) has more players in the Top 100. These are the names:

Olivier Vernon (3rd)
Greg Olsen (1st)
Brandon Linder (3rd)
Calais Campbell (2nd)
Jimmy Graham (3rd)
Allen Hurns (UFA)
Lamar Miller (4th)
Travis Benjamin (4th)

Our guys are getting paid on their second contracts. These guys hang around the program, and players notice. Their mindset is just getting into the league and letting their play carry them to a big deal.

But banking on your second contract is a huge mistake. You can get hurt, and Day 3 picks get a lot less leeway than Day 1 picks. Guys like Norton and Kaaya need to be cautionary tales to the Michael Pickneys of the world. Be like Chad Thomas and leave a legacy in Miami.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...rs-from-each-power-five-program/#6f80e38c1ef6
Honestly we need to keep fvck boys like mehlki & drew away from the program. That would make a substantial difference. Mehlki in particular is the reason r.j. & kendrick didnt come back.

Honestly we need to keep fvck boys like mehlki & drew away from the program. That would make a substantial difference. Mehlki in particular is the reason r.j. & kendrick didnt come back.

What's the solution? How can the staph keep these parasites away from the players?

It's impossible.

Advertisement
What's the solution? How can the staph keep these parasites away from the players?

It's impossible.
Stay away orders from campus and campus activities. Same with the stadium. Peter is a perfect example of how they corrupt ****. Site them for trespassing the first time. Fine the second & arrest from then on out... not exactly practicle but its integral for the program to figure that out.

That year was such a **** show that I thought it would be a permanent reminder for our program. Rosenscum’s reputation was so tarnished for having his hands all over it that I was surprised to learn he had his hand in this one as well with RJ.
He didnt. He just signed him. 100% mehlki on all this crap.

Advertisement
Back