One reason our players make bad NFL decisions

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Norton and McIntosh made huge mistakes going pro. That got me thinking: why do our players consistently make bad NFL decisions?

There are several reasons, but I think a big one is this: Miami has eight of the 200 highest paid players in the NFL. Nobody has more players in the Top 200. Only Georgia (with Richt) has more players in the Top 100. These are the names:

Olivier Vernon (3rd)
Greg Olsen (1st)
Brandon Linder (3rd)
Calais Campbell (2nd)
Jimmy Graham (3rd)
Allen Hurns (UFA)
Lamar Miller (4th)
Travis Benjamin (4th)

Our guys are getting paid on their second contracts. These guys hang around the program, and players notice. Their mindset is just getting into the league and letting their play carry them to a big deal.

But banking on your second contract is a huge mistake. You can get hurt, and Day 3 picks get a lot less leeway than Day 1 picks. Guys like Norton and Kaaya need to be cautionary tales to the Michael Pickneys of the world. Be like Chad Thomas and leave a legacy in Miami.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...rs-from-each-power-five-program/#6f80e38c1ef6

Advertisement
These kids listen to their handlers too much and start believing their own hype.

I'd say I feel bad for them but they have been attending one of the best universities in the nation for several years now and still can't figure out the basics.

Fkn morans.

You can't compare Kaaya and RJ/Norton. Kaaya was a 6th round talent regardless of whether he came back. He had nothing left to show scouts. RJ and Norton had the opportunity to come back and drastically improve their draft position.

Advertisement
I bet DMoney is right to an extent but we also live in a hotbed of local agents a short drive away from being able to routinely pump a kid's head full of sunshine and roses. A Rosenscum or a Mehl-ki WaWa and surrogates aren't exactly local to kids in the Big Ten or a lot of Bumblefuk campuses in the SEC.

Last edited:
Thanks, DMoney.

The point that you made about leeway is an important one. There's immense pressure on teams to make something out of their early-round picks (where late rounders and UDFAs are thrown to the wolves on a whim), and that doesn't get mentioned a lot in these "get to your second contract money" conversations.

Advertisement
These players need reality checks and need to seek out much better advice.

Seeing Norton and RJ McIntosh declare is one thing, but then to see them perform during the draft process like a couple of jamokes is f'n embarrassing. Not only did they make a bad decision, they prepared like ****. If this was a "business decision" for these players, you'd figure they'd show out through the process.

These players need reality checks and need to seek out much better advice.

Seeing Norton and RJ McIntosh declare is one thing, but then to see them perform during the draft process like a couple of jamokes is f'n embarrassing. Not only did they make a bad decision, they prepared like ****. If this was a "business decision" for these players, you'd figure they'd show out through the process.

Pretty sure they got better advice from multiple sources. Heeding it is the issue. The amount of poor advice from multiple other sources that our guys seemingly receive is the other issue. Plus, we live in a community that also seemingly values "getting yours" NOW over actually maximizing what you get.

Here's a line Rick should use with the next player that is getting horrible advice or is set on making a bad choice:

"The last kid that didn't listen to me or the advisory board had multiple punters drafted before him."

*and that's assuming Norton gets drafted.

Advertisement
Norton and McIntosh made huge mistakes going pro. That got me thinking: why do our players consistently make bad NFL decisions?

There are several reasons, but I think a big one is this: Miami has eight of the 200 highest paid players in the NFL. Nobody has more players in the Top 200. Only Georgia (with Richt) has more players in the Top 100. These are the names:

Olivier Vernon (3rd)
Greg Olsen (1st)
Brandon Linder (3rd)
Calais Campbell (2nd)
Jimmy Graham (3rd)
Allen Hurns (UFA)
Lamar Miller (4th)
Travis Benjamin (4th)

Our guys are getting paid on their second contracts. These guys hang around the program, and players notice. Their mindset is just getting into the league and letting their play carry them to a big deal.

But banking on your second contract is a huge mistake. You can get hurt, and Day 3 picks get a lot less leeway than Day 1 picks. Guys like Norton and Kaaya need to be cautionary tales to the Michael Pickneys of the world. Be like Chad Thomas and leave a legacy in Miami.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...rs-from-each-power-five-program/#6f80e38c1ef6
@DMoney Do you think Richt will have better influence on whether or not a player decides to leave? By influence, I mean in the sense that he would provide better counsel. I believe he wants what's best for his guys and will counsel them as such.

The only reason people keep harping on our players leaving is bc we havent restocked the cubbord properly behind them.

In an ideal world, all players would be leaving after three years; if you dont have players behind them ready to step in then youre not handling the roster properly.

The only reason people keep harping on our players leaving is bc we havent restocked the cubbord properly behind them.

In an ideal world, all players would be leaving after three years; if you dont have players behind them ready to step in then youre not handling the roster properly.

lol why is this troll not banned yet? He reminds me of FullyEricht aka WilforkHOF. Are you him?

Advertisement
Assuming either way (leave early or stay) they get a good second contract, isn't the real loss what they would have made between contract 1 leaving early vs contract 1 staying? if so, then starting to collect a year early on contract 1 and contract 2 might make some sense? someone should do the math to figure this out.

On a 53 man roster, teams aren’t cutting the guy they took in the first three rounds. You’re a 6th rounder with potential? Sorry, it’s a business decision
B

Wrong. We’ve had legends stay through their senior years so that’s why we have trouble supporting players with decent production (JAGs) leaving early.

I wouldn't be shocked if Pinckney left with Shaq, if he & Shaq continue to play at a high level both of them will be picked between rounds 1-3 (Shaq is a mid-late 1st/2nd round player with another year of production & Pinck is a 2nd/3rd imo).

The one who better stick is McCloud, if he decides to follow his boys & declare early he'll be making a huge mistake. People within the program need to get in his ear right now & start getting him to understand that leaving early would be his worse decision. I know as fans we're all hard on him, but our Defense can use him as a Senior & he still has value to this team.

Also hope Pat Bethel pays close attention to RJ & Kendrick, he shouldn't listen to anybody that says he should come out after his Junior year. Don't think he will, but in case some agent does, we need somebody in the program to smack the sh*t out of whoever tries to talk Bethel into declaring lol.

Pinckney is nowhere near a 2nd-3rd round pick. That's the type of thinking that gets these kids to make bad decisions. He's an undersized, bad body LB who won't run a good 40. He will not be drafted if he leaves after next year.

Joe Jack, Richards, Shaq, and Homer are top 3 round picks. If they all want to leave, it's hard to argue. Guys like Pinckney are borderline draft prospects. I mean McIntosh just had a great season, and he still didn't go till Rd 5. Pinckney is a good college LB, but he doesn't project well to the NFL.

McCloud and Bethel shouldn't even have a decision to make. Then again, when trash like Malki Kawa gets around these guys, who knows. Kawa told Norton he'd be a 2nd Rd pick. He's just scum, even for an agent

I wouldn't be shocked if Pinckney left with Shaq, if he & Shaq continue to play at a high level both of them will be picked between rounds 1-3 (Shaq is a mid-late 1st/2nd round player with another year of production & Pinck is a 2nd/3rd imo).

The one who better stick is McCloud, if he decides to follow his boys & declare early he'll be making a huge mistake. People within the program need to get in his ear right now & start getting him to understand that leaving early would be his worse decision. I know as fans we're all hard on him, but our Defense can use him as a Senior & he still has value to this team.

Also hope Pat Bethel pays close attention to RJ & Kendrick, he shouldn't listen to anybody that says he should come out after his Junior year. Don't think he will, but in case some agent does, we need somebody in the program to smack the sh*t out of whoever tries to talk Bethel into declaring lol.

At this point neither LB are day one picks. They all need to learn from RJ and Norton's mistake.

Advertisement
Back