One reason our players make bad NFL decisions

Advertisement
Perryman was one of the best LBs in all of cfb his last 2 years and he was a 2nd round pick. Shaq or mike has not played anywhere the level of perryman and to think they would be drafted high is crazy.
What this guy said as well

Richards was banged up as a sophmore. It isnt like the dude has been injury prone. He still finished 3rd on the team in receiving yards and he only played 6 or 7 games.

I hear you. The games he did play in he didn't have the greatest film (tons of drops and failed to get separation which caused a lot of pass breakups). He likely was playing through the injury but he still has to produce (injured or not). Part of being elite (and worthy of 1st or 2nd round pick) is being able to still ball while injured. It's something that GMs focus on.

Willis isnt going in the top 2 rounds no matter what he does. Arden key just went 4th round because of off field questions and he was a projected 1st round pick.

They are going to dig into what happened at uf. They are going to find out why he was suspended twice in 2016. And they gone find out what was the situation with him this past season. The best willis is likely looking at with a strong year is 4th round.

Yep you are right with that. Plus I think there is a deep DT class next year. He would have to be unblockable (especially against the marque teams/OG) to possibly have a team take a shot in the late 2nd round or early 3rd round because of fear he might be gone by the 4th. But you never know (all it takes is one team). But he has to have a dominate year to be considered mid round or higher.

I hear you. The games he did play in he didn't have the greatest film (tons of drops and failed to get separation which caused a lot of pass breakups). He likely was playing through the injury but he still has to produce (injured or not). Part of being elite (and worthy of 1st or 2nd round pick) is being able to still ball while injured. It's something that GMs focus on.

He didn't have a ton of drops. He dropped 3 passes vs syracuse which was the most in his career and all of a sudden yall make up shît saying he had a ton of drops. On top of playing with a severe hamstring pull he still averaged almost 20 yards a catch and had 400+ yards on just 22 catches in 6 or 7 games. Dont know what you was watching but you wasn't paying attention because that's producing while injured.

Advertisement
You can't compare Kaaya and RJ/Norton. Kaaya was a 6th round talent regardless of whether he came back. He had nothing left to show scouts. RJ and Norton had the opportunity to come back and drastically improve their draft position.

His talent is what it is but if he came back and showed more pocket awareness, better lower body mechanics and won more games he would've been picked as high as the 3rd round. He's not less talented than Mike Glennon.

He didn't have a ton of drops. He dropped 3 passes vs syracuse which was the most in his career and all of a sudden yall make up shît saying he had a ton of drops. On top of playing with a severe hamstring pull he still averaged almost 20 yards a catch and had 400+ yards on just 22 catches in 6 or 7 games. Dont know what you was watching but you wasn't paying attention because that's producing while injured.

I guess we were then. People automatically assume Richards will be a first rounder if he has a great year and all I am saying is not so fast. It would really be one elite (first round caliber year) year (I know he was great as a freshman). I can see some teams being hesitant on taking him in the first or second round especially if they are other WRs with two years of elite production.

I think he could use another year under Dugans and be a top ten or fifteen pick unless he is Andre Johnson this season.

I have a question. If a lot of our former players are that good to get a great second contract then what’s the reason for the poor evaluations? Is it cause they leave too early and not enough tape or not fully developed? The NFL is a cold hearted business and a physically demanding sport. It would seem from the out side looking in that it’s wiser to stay one more year and bank early.
Another question would Willis’ playing time hurt or help rj and Norton if they stayed? And, did that fit into them leaving as well?

RJ McIntosh didn't really make that bad of a decision to declare early. He just had medical issue which caused him to miss the Combine basically, and he underwhelmed at the Pro Day.

Norton absolutely ****ed up.

Advertisement
Norton and McIntosh made huge mistakes going pro. That got me thinking: why do our players consistently make bad NFL decisions?

There are several reasons, but I think a big one is this: Miami has eight of the 200 highest paid players in the NFL. Nobody has more players in the Top 200. Only Georgia (with Richt) has more players in the Top 100. These are the names:

Olivier Vernon (3rd)
Greg Olsen (1st)
Brandon Linder (3rd)
Calais Campbell (2nd)
Jimmy Graham (3rd)
Allen Hurns (UFA)
Lamar Miller (4th)
Travis Benjamin (4th)

Our guys are getting paid on their second contracts. These guys hang around the program, and players notice. Their mindset is just getting into the league and letting their play carry them to a big deal.

But banking on your second contract is a huge mistake. You can get hurt, and Day 3 picks get a lot less leeway than Day 1 picks. Guys like Norton and Kaaya need to be cautionary tales to the Michael Pickneys of the world. Be like Chad Thomas and leave a legacy in Miami.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...rs-from-each-power-five-program/#6f80e38c1ef6

I think another reason is all these money hungry baby agents telling the kids 💩 that isn’t true

Those lame later-round signing bonuses - one really needs to divide that dollar amount by the length of the contract to get an accurate evaluation.

If you get $60,000 and have a four-year contract - you're dumber than **** leaving early.

If you get $400,000 for a four-year contract - that $100,000 per year isn't all that much money - whereas the per year payout is much better if your draft stock goes up.

Short-sighted folks always seem to take it up the ***. Because they decided to take it up the ***.

Advertisement
RJ McIntosh didn't really make that bad of a decision to declare early. He just had medical issue which caused him to miss the Combine basically, and he underwhelmed at the Pro Day.

Norton absolutely ****ed up.

"underwhelmed" is being very nice. At first glance, he was the worst athlete at the iDL position drafted this year.

I'm willing to give him a little leeway due to injury...but he tested like he straight up can't play. Improving his scores marginally due to injury still make him a poor athlete.

As for the fit...going to be interesting. The Giants added three front seven players in the draft (BJ Hill, Lo Carter, and RJM) and are changing it up to a 34. He's got some work ahead of him if he's going to justify jumping early.

Advertisement
I fully expect to lose one LB to next years draft.... someone will think their the man and leave on some similar norton advice....

I fully expect to lose one LB to next years draft.... someone will think their the man and leave on some similar norton advice....

Only thing I'll say to this...knowing the pops of one of those LBs will have eyes on posts like this throughout the year...

Just look at the types of LBs that get drafted high in recent years. Also, look at the flood of linebackers that fall in the Round 4 through Round 7 and UDFA that all run similar ht/wt/spd. You gotta stand out. You can't be 4.7 running 3rd team All-Conference player making a good decision jumping to the pro.

Advertisement
Back