OK, some thoughts on the opener....

The only other thing I'll say is that in all my years of watching college football....what we saw today is common, especially when good teams play overmatched opponents early in the year. I'm not going to worry about it yet.

Now if FSU lights us up for 40.....that's a different story. Some of you need to gain a little perspective...football is funny sometimes and quality of opponent really does play a role in how engaged and concentrated guys are.
In all these years I've watched......I've rarely watched the superior team get marched on and get their **** pushed in on the defensive side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Advertisement
homer looks like an nfl back. i know the defense is low competition but he is super shifty and made the best of every play

The only other thing I'll say is that in all my years of watching college football....what we saw today is common, especially when good teams play overmatched opponents early in the year. I'm not going to worry about it yet.

Now if FSU lights us up for 40.....that's a different story. Some of you need to gain a little perspective...football is funny sometimes and quality of opponent really does play a role in how engaged and concentrated guys are.

Have to agree to an extent...some of our best teams, going back into the '80's, we still just barely squeaked by some really weak opponents. I kind of remember a bunch of us at somebody's apartment during one of our best seasons, and we were trailing somebody like Northern Illinois. We finally won, but we were all on edge. I recall that we were all listening to it on radio since it was not on TV at all in our part of the country. That was pre-internet, pre-streams and not millions of games on ESPN at the same time. It was a very jittery living room until we finally won. If I can figure out which game and which year, I'll edit this post.

Yeah, I was bummed out by today's game, wondering where this dazzling smashing defense was supposed to be, but I have to keep it in perspective. Often enough, we've played down to the level of a weak opponent. We seem to be playing very mediocre ball but then we cruise to a victory by 30 or more points. Today, it was 28 points. Whatever.

EDIT: Actually, it might have been our '87 game against Toledo which we only won 24-14. That was a UM team that turned out undefeated and won the NC. It's hard for me to remember that specific game but I'm sure we went in expecting to win by more than ten. We must have been sweating bullets to only win by ten. Whether that was a home or away game I don't remember. I was with a bunch of UM fans in the Washington, D.C. area so we usually tried to find a place with a satellite dish to pick up games for us.

So, I wouldn't give up hope for this year's team, yet.

Last edited:

Have to agree to an extent...some of our best teams, going back into the '80's, we still just barely squeaked by some really weak opponents. I kind of remember a bunch of us at somebody's apartment during one of our best seasons, and we were trailing somebody like Northern Illinois. We finally won, but we were all on edge. I recall that we were all listening to it on radio since it was not on TV at all in our part of the country. That was pre-internet, pre-streams and not millions of games on ESPN at the same time. It was a very jittery living room until we finally won. If I can figure out which game and which year, I'll edit this post.

Yeah, I was bummed out by today's game, wondering where this dazzling smashing defense was supposed to be, but I have to keep it in perspective. Often enough, we've played down to the level of a weak opponent. We seem to be playing very mediocre ball but then we cruise to a victory by 30 or more points. Today, it was 28 points. Whatever.

EDIT: Actually, it might have been our '87 game against Toledo which we only won 24-14. That was a UM team that turned out undefeated and won the NC. It's hard for me to remember that specific game but I'm sure we went in expecting to win by more than ten. We must have been sweating bullets to only win by ten. Whether that was a home or away game I don't remember. I was with a bunch of UM fans in the Washington, D.C. area so we usually tried to find a place with a satellite dish to pick up games for us.

So, I wouldn't give up hope for this year's team, yet.

Correct, it was Toledo the Canes squeaked by 24-14 at the OB in 1987. This was a week after a poor showing against a bad VaTech team, winning 27-13 at the OB. Miami won the previous four games by 30, 38, 38, and 51 points. So, it happens.

Advertisement

Underrated post.

In all these years I've watched......I've rarely watched the superior team get marched on and get their **** pushed in on the defensive side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have, plenty of times.

Its the 1st game, you get up for that alone...ppl killin me with the excuses, they did not play Canes caliber football plain and simple. Why are ppl saying, "if we play like this against Ark St, then they will worry"...the writing is on the wall right now. We inspire to be great, not good enough. We will ppl flooding the threads next week like you didnt see it coming, wtf. Coach Diaz believed tge hype as well. Good OCs will outscheme all those blitzes all game. Where was the in-game adjustments. After the video of the game gets out, teams will use the quick pass attack against us religiously. As fans, we suppose to be disappointed in how we looked against an inferior opp; dang, dont just accept mediocrity.

I think most people on this board know I'm the furthest thing from an excuse maker that there is...you're talking to the guy who calls out this program at the first sign of stupidty.

All I'm saying is I would have felt a lot worse if Rosier looked bad. I feel there is enough sample size from last year to conclude we have a good defense, so I'm willing to give them another couple of weeks before I push the panic button.

Again, there is nowhere to hide. Winter (Sept 16) is coming. We'll know the truth soon enough.

Advertisement
Yup. Gonna be a loooong week.

Good thing is these players are going to hear it. Locally many fans weren't happy with today's effort

Miami doesn't have anyone projected to leave early....yet all we hear is
...the DL is headed to league early. Lol. I haven't seen any MIami players listed as high picks...I do believe if they continue to work extremely hard anything is possible tho...

If you actually look at the personnel Diaz was rolling all game, we almost never had our whole 1st team unit in the game. Getting other guys lots of experience, but coaches clearly used this game to get our 2s game experience. At least 3 of 11 guys playing on D for almost the entire game weren't starters
That's not really reassuring. Our 3rd string should be able to shut down Bethune Cookman.

We know we don't have the depth of a Bama etc. That shouldn't be a surprise. It's not like our 2s and 3s gave up 3 TDs, but yea...there are going to be mistakes, bad angles, and missed assignments. It's week 1 and a lot of these guys' first real live game experience. Reserve judgement until games actually mean something. Believe me, I wasn't excited by what the D put on tape today but I'm not going to say they are back to Wefense. Until we see actual evidence otherwise, assume they will be fine.

Here we go with the revisionist history...

Lmao.. al golden comparisons? So al golden didnt give up almost 400 yards to bethune cookman with over 200 yards rushing?

Dont panic. Dont talk stupid either.

They did have 350 total yards,but it looked nothing like today. Our scrubs were still in late third qt, and their qb's were like 10-30 122 yd's ( or something close). Their qb never looked like Warren moon, like the guy today. We also wasn't a hyped up" top shelf " defense.

Thank god we kept the starters in to the fourth quarter, or they'd hit 400-450 yd's and 20-27 points. We actually needed the starters to somewhat slow them down.

Folks around here like to hype dudes up , then make instant excuses, I just call it like I see. I expect more than this against a high school team, in the season/home opener. I'll give props when they're due ,but also call bs when I see it. I'm sure Richt will too.

I havent made one excuse.

I just want to nip the Diaz and Donofrio comparisons.

Yall in here saying you seen better D from Donofrio? Stfu, stop it

Advertisement

Its the 1st game, you get up for that alone...ppl killin me with the excuses, they did not play Canes caliber football plain and simple. Why are ppl saying, "if we play like this against Ark St, then they will worry"...the writing is on the wall right now. We inspire to be great, not good enough. We will ppl flooding the threads next week like you didnt see it coming, wtf. Coach Diaz believed tge hype as well. Good OCs will outscheme all those blitzes all game. Where was the in-game adjustments. After the video of the game gets out, teams will use the quick pass attack against us religiously. As fans, we suppose to be disappointed in how we looked against an inferior opp; dang, dont just accept mediocrity.

I think most people on this board know I'm the furthest thing from an excuse maker that there is...you're talking to the guy who calls out this program at the first sign of stupidty.

All I'm saying is I would have felt a lot worse if Rosier looked bad. I feel there is enough sample size from last year to conclude we have a good defense, so I'm willing to give them another couple of weeks before I push the panic button.

Again, there is nowhere to hide. Winter (Sept 16) is coming. We'll know the truth soon enough.

My sentiments exactly

My sentiments exactly

Meanwhile Bama beat FSU and Michigan beat the turds. Time to start competing with the big boys again. No more we are getting close. We have a 2-3 year window. Gotta capitalize and our program will be sent to the stratosphere.

Good post, k9.

It seemed flat out there. The crowd was dead and there were no pads popping.

I thought Malik looked sharp aside from the miss to Jeff Thomas.

Advertisement
Good post, k9.

It seemed flat out there. The crowd was dead and there were no pads popping.

I thought Malik looked sharp aside from the miss to Jeff Thomas.

It looked to me that if Rosier hits Thomas accurately that could've have gone to the house. That was his most obvious miss of the day. Saw Ark St. they can move the ball, UM will have to be better next Saturday

Was the "No Applause" sign on during the game?
The place seemed to be dead.
Did not look like a college football atmosphere at all.
More like a college library.

This defensive performance reminded me of No D first game vs Maryland...knew what was coming yet couldnt stop it for nothing

for what it's worth, bill connelly from football outsiders/sb nation has numbers that say returning production in the secondary is the most important factor in year to year defensive changes. we returned our entire front 7 but because of the way his stats are weighted we only returned 46% of our defensive production, which was the ninth lowest in the country. might be in for some growing pains...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...eturning-starters-experience-oregon-tcu-texas

Most interesting comment in this thread and made me think to when we returned most of the front 7 in 2002 and yet the defense got worse (lost the whole secondary)

Advertisement
Back