OK, some thoughts on the opener....

Advertisement
I feel that's how other teams are going to prep for us. Quick passes, I didn't tally up the totals but, the average time of BCC QB was less than 3 seconds on most passes. I was surprised Dee wasn't as physical as advertised. Sure he made some tackles, I just didn't see him jam the WR as much as I would like. I have faith in Manny!

It looked to me like our D was practicing play for a different opponent. They got away with it because we played Bethune. Every other team on our schedule needs our undivided attention, and game planned for far better than what we just saw.

The offense looked incredibly basic, to me. Maybe it was because we were just limiting what we showed versus Bethune or maybe Rosier really is limited in what he can do. RPO...RPO...RPO...all nice, but Rosier needs to run more then four times for that to be effective against big boy teams. Also, simple reads to the big wide outs with big catch radius' like Cager and Langham are a nice way to mask his inaccuracy versus teams like Bethune Cookman, but we are going to need to see more from him as we advance in the season...as in, a LOT more.

With that said...LOVE what I saw from Walton AND Homer in the run game. Both ran HARD, not afraid of contact, showed some breakaway speed. Wish we had that #3 to get some legit carries. Hopefully its Choc moving forward, but I'm always hesitant on him.

OL looked good, but that is to be expected. Liked what I saw from Donaldson.
You mean the zone read plays? Richt sprinkled a few in, one to start each half.

It was more then sprinkled in.

You're aware RPO and Zone Read are two different concepts, right?

The offense looked incredibly basic, to me. Maybe it was because we were just limiting what we showed versus Bethune or maybe Rosier really is limited in what he can do. RPO...RPO...RPO...all nice, but Rosier needs to run more then four times for that to be effective against big boy teams. Also, simple reads to the big wide outs with big catch radius' like Cager and Langham are a nice way to mask his inaccuracy versus teams like Bethune Cookman, but we are going to need to see more from him as we advance in the season...as in, a LOT more.

With that said...LOVE what I saw from Walton AND Homer in the run game. Both ran HARD, not afraid of contact, showed some breakaway speed. Wish we had that #3 to get some legit carries. Hopefully its Choc moving forward, but I'm always hesitant on him.

OL looked good, but that is to be expected. Liked what I saw from Donaldson.
You mean the zone read plays? Richt sprinkled a few in, one to start each half.

It was more then sprinkled in.

You're aware RPO and Zone Read are two different concepts, right?

I do...I'm assuming you didn't after you responded to the RPO with zone read, so I just went with it.

Advertisement
Rozier played good both passing and running with the ball and I expect him to improve as the season progresses which is a very good sign. When it comes to the Defense it needs to improve quickly because they played bad against Bethune Cookman team which is a concern right now, Walton ran the ball very well, Miami as a team needs to avoid those costly penalties which will hurt them against better competition. Overall Miami has things to improve on going into next week road game against Arkansas State but no need to worry this was just the 1st game of the season and having things to work on is not a bad thing it could actually be a good thing that will keep the team focused and hungry.

OK, watched Ark St vs Nebraska. My thoughts, ARk State offensively will move the ball(especially between the 20's), they are exclusively a shotgun team, that will go 3, 4 and even 5 WR's at times(as they go completely empty). On most plays they don't even have a TE or FB on the field The QB Hansen is a very average athlete but he delivers a nice accurate pass

Everything they do is out of the shotgun or a pistol set(sometimes even going with a fullback and tailback in that set) and they run a ton of bubble-like passes to the outside. Our corners will really be relied upon to fight and get off blocks and turn plays back inside consistently. And Hansen gets rid of the ball quickly on the majority of passes so with that said, this is a week where the Dline will be relied upon to get their hands up to try and deflect stuff coming out of Hansen's hand. Much of what they do is quick-hitting passes to the flat - but they will throw an occassional pass down the seem. They will attack with slants off play-action so stuff like re-routing recievers and communication in the back seven will be key. Overall it's a slick, well-run offfensive package

Bob Diaco, the Nebraska DC labeled them 'basketball on grass' and it's an apt description of what they do. Expect liberal substitution on defense as Ark State plays at a sped up pace. This is where having a deep roster of Dlineman will really benefit UM

Defensively, I dont see any real difference makers. I expect Walton to have a great day and with that set up deep shots for Rosier and the skill guys outside. Blake Anderson has done a nice job of building that program. I don't think this is a complete pushover but with this being a road game and being the week before FSU, well, it does come with some issues

I expect the Canes to win a 48-28 type of game

Last edited:
My opinion! BC has undersize south Florida football players who can perform at a high level. The difference in the game was one team played with energy and the other was flat. The staff must continue to emphasize talent alone will not win D1 games, regardless of the opponent. From my observation live: the best 11 on defense are: Harris, Thomas, Mac, Norton, Shaq, Zack, Pinckney, Delaney (CB), Young (CB), Jackson (SS), and Johnson (FS). I would use Joe Jackson, Bandy, Carter (OLB) and Garvin on 3rd down packages.

*** As for the kick off team: Please take Berrios off immediately, and stop trying to put him on film for NFL scouts. Berrios will be a slot WR at the next level with the right team.

*** Rosier played with confidence, but delivery is still slow. He can be effective, if he learn to throw the receiver open and not wait too long. RBs and OL will determine the success of this team...period. Against Arkansas State, we must run the ball and control the clock. We only need our best two LBs and go with 5 DBs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back