OK, some thoughts on the opener....

k9cane

Senior
not panicking but honestly a very mediocre and uninspired effort vs Bethune Cookman. Was particularly disappointed in the defense who did a poor job in containing the edge and inside the pocket. Also a ton of missed tackles and they couldnt get off the field for long stretches. Yeah it looked like some 'Wefense' of Donofrio to be frank. Defenders took poor angles all game and they didn't defend the flats to save their lives

But again, this was a gimme. I wouldn't even call it a sparring session but really shadow boxing. But a lot of things for Diaz to clean up

The CB's concern me, though, can't lie. Dee Delaney was getting spun around like a top and quick guys seem to give him fits. I still say Malek Young needs to be one of our starters out there. He just has natural playmaking ability and a twitchy athlete.

Offensively, I thought Rosier was OK. As long as Walton gets going and moving the chains the offense will be fine but IMO, there will be a hit and miss quality to our passing game this season(especially the intermediate stuff). Really great to see Lawrence Cager out there making plays, looking like a weapon and did my slanted eyes deceive me or did Darrell Langham make some plays?

Another guy that stood out is Travis Homer, he gives me that James Jackson in 1997 feeling. Our second back who will bust a lot of big plays after Walton softens up defenses early on. Love the 1-2 punch Miami has out there.

Harley flashed and he looks advertised. Having offensive weapons is not the issue for UM - can Rosier just make the routine throws expected of him? If he does, this offense will be very productive and explosive

BTW, I don't think there's any doubt Richt dialed up that first offensive play to showcase Rosier's ability in the read-option.

But Arkansas St on the road is a much more legitimate contest. Richt has a lot to coach up between next Saturday and especially Sept 16th....

ADDED EDIT:

One last thing, it looks like we have another really good freshman class. Donaldson already looks rock solid, I mentioned Hartley and Carter flashed his ability to thump late....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
It was an abortion in all phases.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On the o side, there were gaping holes to run through. Rosier barely got touched, and he was accurate. Which is what should happen against BCC.

The d scheme was weird. Blitz every play and play a soft zone? A good OC and poised qb will pick that apart all day - which is what they did.

Advertisement
DLine was the most disappointing thing. Not a championship level DL. Team looks the same as last year, which is inexcusable

Pretty uninspired game. Not surprised, it was a glorified scrimmage. Next week will give us a better sense of where this team may be. At least until the fsu game

Advertisement
not panicking but honestly a very mediocre and uninspired effort vs Bethune Cookman. Was particularly disappointed in the defense who did a poor job in containing the edge and inside the pocket. Also a ton of missed tackles and they couldnt get off the field for long stretches. Yeah it looked like some 'Wefense' of Donofrio to be frank. Defenders took poor angles all game and they didn't defend the flats to save their lives

But again, this was a gimme. I wouldn't even call it a sparring session but really shadow boxing. But a lot of things for Diaz to clean up

The CB's concern me, though, can't lie. Dee Delaney was getting spun around like a top and quick guys seem to give him fits. I still say Malek Young needs to be one of our starters out there. He just has natural playmaking ability and a twitchy athlete.

Offensively, I thought Rosier was OK. As long as Walton gets going and moving the chains the offense will be fine but IMO, there will be a hit and miss quality to our passing game this season(especially the intermediate stuff). Really great to see Lawrence Cager out there making plays, looking like a weapon and did my slanted eyes deceive me or did Darrell Langham make some plays?

Another guy that stood out is Travis Homer, he gives me that James Jackson in 1997 feeling. Our second back who will bust a lot of big plays after Walton softens up defenses early on. Love the 1-2 punch Miami has out there.

Harley flashed and he looks advertised. Having offensive weapons is not the issue for UM - can Rosier just make the routine throws expected of him

BTW, I don't think there's any doubt Richt dialed up that first offensive play to showcase Rosier's ability in the read-option.

But Arkansas St on the road is a much more legitimate contest. Richt has a lot to coach up between next Saturday and especially Sept 16th....

Excellent summary.
One would hope to think of using the go to "we were keeping it vanilla", but I don't really buy into that.

Defense looked uninspired. BCC took advantage of Diaz blitzes and got rid of the ball quickly, negating our DL. When we blitzed out of zone, we got ate up on the quick pass. Bad angles, poor and hesitant tackles. It wasn't pretty. Offensively I thought we played well tbh. Rosier was good and he had some poor throws but also a few drops. I'm more concerned with the defense but it's probably knee jerk. I think BCC had a really good plan to attack, and it didn't really work consistently. Would have liked to see a more dominant performance, but it gives the team something to build towards next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

We were horrible trying to defend the bubble screens, and just as bad at holding the edge. Rosier was average, the pursuit from sideline to sideline sucked, and there wasn't nearly enough pressure on the quarterback. One more thing, the kickoff coverage was dog ****. A lot of things to improve this week.

Advertisement
The D line should have spent more time practicing as opposed to reading their clippings..they flat out sucked today against what amounts to a juco team....they might want to get started around 5 today fixing this

I'm normally the last to make excuses, but the turf sucked. They just replaced it, what?, yesterday? Promised it would be ready for us, I'd say they f--ked up.

****** turf like that probably helped Bethune as much as our lackluster effort.

Advertisement
Back