OK, some thoughts on the opener....

Advertisement
The only other thing I'll say is that in all my years of watching college football....what we saw today is common, especially when good teams play overmatched opponents early in the year. I'm not going to worry about it yet.

Now if FSU lights us up for 40.....that's a different story. Some of you need to gain a little perspective...football is funny sometimes and quality of opponent really does play a role in how engaged and concentrated guys are.

Bingo

Offense looked good to me for the most part. Especially considering our best WR was injured.

Add Richards to the mix and this team will be rolling.

Defense looked a bit bored. It is hard to get hyped up for Bethune. Hopefully they wake up next week and show more enthusiasm and urgency.
Having Pickney out there for a full 4 quarters will probably help that out.

What u guys are missing is... we came out of this game healthy, didnt have to do anything tricky or show any cards. The guys went out beat up BCC without breaking asweat or anything else. mission accomplished. I admit i was a little disappointed at the only 41-13 score at first, but then i remembered how Golden would score 70 on teams and they would implement the running clock rule, but we would end the season 6-6 or something... I realize this was our first chance to see the fellas ball this year so we wanted explosions, because we've been waiting so long. But lets not beat them up for winning against a team that doesnt present a big challenge... and staying healthy for teams that will.

Advertisement
What u guys are missing is... we came out of this game healthy, didnt have to do anything tricky or show any cards. The guys went out beat up BCC without breaking asweat or anything else. mission accomplished. I admit i was a little disappointed at the only 41-13 score at first, but then i remembered how Golden would score 70 on teams and they would implement the running clock rule, but we would end the season 6-6 or something... I realize this was our first chance to see the fellas ball this year so we wanted explosions, because we've been waiting so long. But lets not beat them up for winning against a team that doesnt present a big challenge... and staying healthy for teams that will.

You know how many times we've played the "We didn't show our cards" card the last 15 years? That's garbage, because not ONCE have we shown we had something later in the season, say for FSU. Not once. Our O scares me, quite frankly. Rosier needs to run more, or develop an intermediate passing game. We have so many weapons, he needs to get them the ball in stride and let them work. If he can't, I want to see Shirreffs and Perry more to see if they can. Something just seemed off with Rosier, like the O was out of tune.

You know how many times we've played the "We didn't show our cards" card the last 15 years? That's garbage, because not ONCE have we shown we had something later in the season, say for FSU. Not once. Our O scares me, quite frankly. Rosier needs to run more, or develop an intermediate passing game. We have so many weapons, he needs to get them the ball in stride and let them work. If he can't, I want to see Shirreffs and Perry more to see if they can. Something just seemed off with Rosier, like the O was out of tune.

Your takeaway from this game was being scared about the offense?

I'm going to assume he's drunk.

Advertisement
The offense looked incredibly basic, to me. Maybe it was because we were just limiting what we showed versus Bethune or maybe Rosier really is limited in what he can do. RPO...RPO...RPO...all nice, but Rosier needs to run more then four times for that to be effective against big boy teams. Also, simple reads to the big wide outs with big catch radius' like Cager and Langham are a nice way to mask his inaccuracy versus teams like Bethune Cookman, but we are going to need to see more from him as we advance in the season...as in, a LOT more.

With that said...LOVE what I saw from Walton AND Homer in the run game. Both ran HARD, not afraid of contact, showed some breakaway speed. Wish we had that #3 to get some legit carries. Hopefully its Choc moving forward, but I'm always hesitant on him.

OL looked good, but that is to be expected. Liked what I saw from Donaldson.

The offense looked incredibly basic, to me. Maybe it was because we were just limiting what we showed versus Bethune or maybe Rosier really is limited in what he can do. RPO...RPO...RPO...all nice, but Rosier needs to run more then four times for that to be effective against big boy teams. Also, simple reads to the big wide outs with big catch radius' like Cager and Langham are a nice way to mask his inaccuracy versus teams like Bethune Cookman, but we are going to need to see more from him as we advance in the season...as in, a LOT more.

With that said...LOVE what I saw from Walton AND Homer in the run game. Both ran HARD, not afraid of contact, showed some breakaway speed. Wish we had that #3 to get some legit carries. Hopefully its Choc moving forward, but I'm always hesitant on him.

You mean the zone read plays? Richt sprinkled a few in, one to start each half.

First game problems, we got better almost every game last year. Hopefully we do the same this year. Going to have to focus on short passing game. On D we need to give Delaney some help, he struggled bad

Agree with just about all of that. Can't believe only 1 sack against Bethune .

They either ran the ball, ran a bubble screen, quick out while moving the pocket, or a quick curl. Hard to get sacks against that. It was disappointing to see us not go man and bump the receivers every time, knowing it'd be something quick

Advertisement
I feel that's how other teams are going to prep for us. Quick passes, I didn't tally up the totals but, the average time of BCC QB was less than 3 seconds on most passes. I was surprised Dee wasn't as physical as advertised. Sure he made some tackles, I just didn't see him jam the WR as much as I would like. I have faith in Manny!

REMEMBER when Stephen Morris was highly touted early in one of Golden's mediocre seasons, I think it was four years ago, and he got an ankle injury late in a 77-0 beatdown against Savannah State because Golden Showers kept him in the game long after he should have sat him down?

That's what happened to Francoise last night, and that's what could have happened in the Bethune game, but didn't. We came out healthy. FSU did not. They gambled that they could beat Bama on a national stage, and weren't ready, because Jimbo isn't Dabo and Francoise isn't the QB that Dabo had last year.

Advertisement
I feel that's how other teams are going to prep for us. Quick passes, I didn't tally up the totals but, the average time of BCC QB was less than 3 seconds on most passes. I was surprised Dee wasn't as physical as advertised. Sure he made some tackles, I just didn't see him jam the WR as much as I would like. I have faith in Manny!

Arky State agrees with that sentiment.

The problems with D I think are more easily fixed than inability from the QB.

You mean the zone read plays? Richt sprinkled a few in, one to start each half.

It was more then sprinkled in.

I was at the game. Lifeless atmosphere, not great for recruiting.

Just rewatched the first drive. Manny left the corners on an island against two WRs on every down. McCloud got caught cheating to the middle and gave up the long run to the outside (Joe Jackson didn't set the edge but was being held). On the other long run, we were stunting linemen and Quarterman got caught in traffic. The ensuing dinks and dunks were due to Manny's scheme and poor secondary play (Redwine and Knowles are liabilities). Redwine is very passive and gives too much cushion. Knowles takes poor angles and lacks speed. He allowed the BC WR to gain YAC that setup the FG.

I'm scared to keep watching....but I know we win!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back