NIL cap, 50k a yr idea

do we cap coaching salaries? these are marketing deals based on what a business feels an athlete is worth to them. why are we restricting the amount of money a player can make off their own likeness? bc fans realized college sports isn't a minor league for the NFL and NBA? **** that. let them earn every cent they can. justyn ross literally went undrafted bc he couldn't enter after his first year and no one is gonna pay his bills. bet a great NIL deal for 3 years or so would've helped him out.

Advertisement
At times I wonder if people really care about the issue they're arguing or is it really just the obsession to argue about anything regardless of context??..🤔🤔

people are just mad bc what's been happening is now out in the open (tampering with current players, recruiting dollars, etc.)

NIL has gone crazy, but it will not be regulated. The only way to stop the cheating on the free agency market now is to reinstate a 1 year sit out on the transfer portal
This may be the best option to minimize the yearly changes with teams. You can’t put a cap on someone’s market value when the school and NCAA are powerless.

A cap?

The NCAA and colleges have been making billions for decades, and the players spend one offseason eating a piece of the pie, and now we need a cap?

I think CFB, as we knew it, it changing. G5 and lower tier P5 will be places where under the radar kids develop, or 5star busts transfer to. But, the days of Central Michigan having a guy drafted in the first round may be coming to an end. That same kid could easily transfer once they start getting some recognition. I think, just like coaches, we will, and have seen, players use their leverage to put themselves in a better position. If that isn't the American way, I don't know what is...

Luckily, for us, we are now in the "haves" category so Im not complaining

A cap?

The NCAA and colleges have been making billions for decades, and the players spend one offseason eating a piece of the pie, and now we need a cap?

I think CFB, as we knew it, it changing. G5 and lower tier P5 will be places where under the radar kids develop, or 5star busts transfer to. But, the days of Central Michigan having a guy drafted in the first round may be coming to an end. That same kid could easily transfer once they start getting some recognition. I think, just like coaches, we will, and have seen, players use their leverage to put themselves in a better position. If that isn't the American way, I don't know what is...

Luckily, for us, we are now in the "haves" category so Im not complaining
I think the bigger issue is what we're seeing with transfers + NIL. It puts good programs (with less money) at a distinct disadvantage. Thinking mainly of Jordan Addison situation right now with tampering; we probably have done it, too. I think that's what people don't like as much. Not sure how you fix that other than going back to sitting out a year, but I don't think you can unring that bell.

Advertisement
**** anyone that thinks that a person in America shouldn’t be allowed to earn his or her worth. If you believe earnings should be capped, move to a communist country and do it to yourself. Should the kid be capped to two meals a day… oh wait that was the old rule. STFU!!! It’s time for college football to be fair to EVERYONE, especially the kids playing the game.
Boarcane 2024

I’m in

And y'all think NIL is something, wait till Cali passes this:

Another perfect example of government regulation having (completely predictable) "unintended consequences." This will result in many sports being cut because most of them don't bring in money. It's one thing to give them scholarships, another to pay them on top of it.

Another perfect example of government regulation having (completely predictable) "unintended consequences." This will result in many sports being cut because most of them don't bring in money. It's one thing to give them scholarships, another to pay them on top of it.

Then those sports should cease to exist. At no time have I ever told myself I'm gonna sit down and watch UM golf.

Advertisement
Then those sports should cease to exist. At no time have I ever told myself I'm gonna sit down and watch UM golf.

That’s a red herring you’re responding to. The other sports will still exist either because of Title IX, or because the costs can easily be absorbed. People try to make up these scenarios that aren’t realistic.

As far as the other comments throughout this thread, imagine if you were a college student and you’re running a side hustle, where you have a contract with an office building conglomerate to clean their offices on weekends. Contract is an agreement between you and the company. You’re an enterprising young college student. Now imagine some authority steps in and says we’re going to cap earnings no matter how many weekends you work or how hard you work. You think that flies?

people are just mad bc what's been happening is now out in the open (tampering with current players, recruiting dollars, etc.)
Actually I'm talking more of everything you see here.... I mean I know it's a forum and people are supposed to come here and air out with stuff but there's certain things I see that just leave me a bit perplexed but it's cool , I don't wanna tell people not to do their thing... It's my call to either participate or scroll past...

That was the initial thinking when it started but now there are kids who are saying they won't play unless they get paid more, talks of bidding wars, transferring for money. Seems like it's getting out of control.

There has got to be a better way to do this then the person with the deepest pockets wins.

Keep in mind, I'm all for ruiz, love the guy for what he's doing. I hope we work the system for all it is currently.
You mean that it's a marketplace. Cool.

Advertisement
the larger sports already pay for the non revenue sports as it is. nothing will really changes from that standpoint

Advertisement
Cats already out of the bag. I don’t see any possible way to cap earnings for players.

There was only one way for the NCAA to do this, other than what’s going on right now. Make the kids choose. You get a scholarship, or you get NIL money. If this was argued and shot down, someone let me know, I am not aware that they even considered that option.

As far as the other comments throughout this thread, imagine if you were a college student and you’re running a side hustle, where you have a contract with an office building conglomerate to clean their offices on weekends. Contract is an agreement between you and the company. You’re an enterprising young college student. Now imagine some authority steps in and says we’re going to cap earnings no matter how many weekends you work or how hard you work. You think that flies?

Exactly, people that are against NIL's & the transfer portal don't look at the negative effects of NCAA laws & bylaws in personal terms.

the larger sports already pay for the non revenue sports as it is. nothing will really changes from that standpoint
I'm well aware, but like I said, it's one thing to give them scholarships, another to pay them on top of it. You're now doubling/tripling what each gets.

Most athletic departments run on thin margins. Operations/support staff (guys running facilities, marketing, academics, accounting, etc) get paid almost unlivable wages in 2022; I used to be one and ended up leaving the field. Paying that much more out to student-athletes will make the numbers even tougher. And that's for P5 schools. Think about small schools that don't get a huge conference payout like the SEC. And now those small ticket sales that help support the department have to be split.

It's going to cause some issues for some schools. Stanford tried cutting a third of their sports before lawsuits and donations forced them to reverse course. Legislation like this will force more moves. You can cut sports and still be Title IX compliant; you just have to cut men's and women's programs equally.

There was only one way for the NCAA to do this, other than what’s going on right now. Make the kids choose. You get a scholarship, or you get NIL money. If this was argued and shot down, someone let me know, I am not aware that they even considered that option.

You wouldn't accept those options as a regular Joe.

Advertisement
Back