NIL cap, 50k a yr idea

Advertisement
...Would be accumulative too. If miami pays a kid 30k for the year then he will only be able to receive 20k more for that year.

200k over 4 years and a scholarship.

And you think this rule would survive, given that the Supreme Court just said that the NCAA's previous cap of zero-point-zero was impermissible?

I’m All for the kids earning money, but This still needs to be regulated more

How?

The NCAA had YEARS to regulate. It's not like this was some big surprise. And the NCAA did NOTHING.

I'm a reasonable person. I'll listen to reasonable ideas. But how in god's name do you think the NCAA (a) can do anything, (b) will do anything, and/or (c) is capable of doing the right thing at this late date?

Advertisement
You wouldn't accept an arrangement like that, so a Colllege athlete certainly wouldn't. Like that commercial says, they want their money now!!!
At 18, 19, or 20 probably not. But at the current age of 27, I think it's a great idea. The fact that the money is in a trust that will grow interest and will be mines at some point is more appealing to me.

...Would be accumulative too. If miami pays a kid 30k for the year then he will only be able to receive 20k more for that year.

200k over 4 years and a scholarship.
Never happen. Some players are high profile and their NIL is worth a lot more than a backup. Can't regulate free enterprise in that manner, not after the Supreme Court opened it up in that manner. Maybe limiting the number of times a player can transfer etc. but it will be virtually impossible to cap an individuals income earning potential.

Advertisement
It's unAmerican to do such a thing. We live in a capitalist based country. These kids deserve to get every penny someone is willing to pay them.

I think a better idea is to have a percentage, say 40 - 60%, of the money earned placed in a compound earning trust for them. The money would becomes available upon graduation, being drafted, or at the age of 25. I think this protects the student athlete from themselves and others. It promotes finishing school and still has flexibility within its structure for the player. Win-Win in my opinion.

I think the transfer portal needs regulating, not NIL.
Protecting legal adults from themselves by not allowing them to access their $.

That’s more disgusting to me than just limiting the amount they can make

In many respects trying to artificially cap a kid's income potential based on an arbitrary number that you're comfortable with is actually way worse than telling the kid they can't earn anything at all.

At least under the later one could claim some mantle of "amateurism".

Advertisement
That was the initial thinking when it started but now there are kids who are saying they won't play unless they get paid more, talks of bidding wars, transferring for money. Seems like it's getting out of control.

There has got to be a better way to do this then the person with the deepest pockets wins.

Keep in mind, I'm all for ruiz, love the guy for what he's doing. I hope we work the system for all it is currently.

The NCAA fcked this up by steadfastly refusing to even discuss compensation and NIL with “student athletes” for years and then when they started losing court cases they kicked the can down the road and didn’t do anything other then form a blue ribbon committee and ultimately ask congress to do something for them.

Can you believe that? Ask congress? What sane businessman would ask politicians to come and fix problems with their business.

The US Senate took the opportunity and called NCAA leaders to the hill and absolutely filleted them on a multitude items including transgender athletes (this was 2 years before the Penn Swimmer), ripped Mark Emmett a new one, but of course it did not offer any solutions on NIL.

A couple states then took it upon themselves to create NIL deals and again the NCAA did nothing. This train will never be coming back into the station. What I think will happen is the market will correct itself over time and players will not be getting million plus dollar deals on the regular.

Will there be outlier deals where a billionaire comes in and tries to buy a title? Sure but that was always the case in some fashion.

What is so infuriating in all this is the NCAA arrogance. Ed O’Bannon should have been compensated for his NIL when several years after he played his last game for UCLA, he sees his image in the latest NCAA basketball game. EA Sports was ready to compensate him and others but the NCAA refused believing they owned his NIL for life.

NIL has gone crazy, but it will not be regulated. The only way to stop the cheating on the free agency market now is to reinstate a 1 year sit out on the transfer portal

Advertisement
The cats out of the bag now, we just gotta let it play out. NIL evens the field out some, but I think the richest/most generous alumnus base will get most of their targets still.

You won't see a cap on a player's potential earnings.

What I COULD see happening is the NCAA making a move like, "You can earn what you want, full stop. But anyone that earns more than $XX in a year is considered professional and ineligible for NCAA sponsored post-season play." So you could play regular season and conference championships or tournaments, but not March Madness or CFP. Most football guys wouldn't worry about that because they know there are currently only a handful of teams in the running for CFP any given year, but it would be interesting how it affects the Bama's and OSU's of the world (even us, potentially).

At times I wonder if people really care about the issue they're arguing or is it really just the obsession to argue about anything regardless of context??..🤔🤔

Advertisement
Back