NIL cap, 50k a yr idea

Advertisement
I think the bigger issue is what we're seeing with transfers + NIL. It puts good programs (with less money) at a distinct disadvantage. Thinking mainly of Jordan Addison situation right now with tampering; we probably have done it, too. I think that's what people don't like as much. Not sure how you fix that other than going back to sitting out a year, but I don't think you can unring that bell.

I just don't see how this issue could be addressed. We've seen coaches play "footies" with every open coaching position for years, to leverage a better situation for themselves. Holding players to a different standard/set of rules, to me, is unfair.

Plus, the market HAS TO eventually correct itself.
Tennessee just paid $8M (I think) to a kid who still has the play his Sr year of HS. For that kind of $, Heupel will be forced to play the kid whether he's ready or not. And, regardless of how great the young man is, I guarantee it will take him some time to adjust from HS ball to the SEC. The moment he throws his first pick, whoever spent that money should be wondering if it would have been better spent on a transfer(s), instead of a still progressing HS junior.

I think, in a few years, we'll look back at the start of this NIL saga and laugh about how ridiculous the amount of $ thrown around was.

Miami better join the SEC or Big 10. The ACC is about to be a bigger wasteland than it already is. What other ACC schools besides Clemson and Miami are heavily invested in NIL for football? Maybe North Carolina and Louisville will be if they aren’t already players. Florida State may want to be, but clearly can’t be. Pitt just had it’s best player taken because they can’t pony up the money. I can tell you BC won’t be big players. Duke…**** no for football. Maybe Virginia tech and NC state?

The talent disparity is going to get worse from top to bottom in the ACC than it already is and conference to conference, the ACC is probably in the worst position P5 football wise, to compete. The PAC 12 has the Cali schools who will be players, oregon, Stanford and Washington who are all capable to be big players.

The new big 12 will have those Texas schools, BYU, and Cincinnati, and UCF who will compete in NIL.

Again who from the ACC outside of Clemson and Miami are going to step up?

Edit: 3 players from the top 50 of the 24/7 player transfer rankings elected to transfer to an ACC school. 6 players in the top 100, quick glance the new big 12 would have beaten that number.

Last edited:
How about we cap the NCAA president’s salary first. Emmert made $3m last year. I don’t see why a president of a non profit should make so much when he and his cronies are the only ones cashing in. The admins in the NCAA get crappy non profit salaries and the athletes get nothing.

Advertisement
You wouldn't delay a more lucrative job offer just because your current employer thinks it's a bad idea. We need to stop suggesting things we wouldn't do ourselves.
That isn’t how an NIL deal works. Technically, you don’t have be in someone’s school to have a deal. It’s not the school hiring the players. As long as you’re contracted by the company and adhering to their requests, you’re technically good. However, you can’t do that if you’re leaving town.

On the other hand, you have slow down these transfers. Something will have to give.

That isn’t how an NIL deal works. Technically, you don’t have be in someone’s school to have a deal. It’s not the school hiring the players. As long as you’re contracted by the company and adhering to their requests, you’re technically good. However, you can’t do that if you’re leaving town.

On the other hand, you have slow down these transfers. Something will have to give.
There's really no answer to slow it down because the whole purpose of opening things up was to give everyone freedom... The only way to go a different direction is giving power back to the NCAA (Emmert and such) and watch things go right back to where it was before... The door has been blown wide open... there's no going back now...
This is a full scale business .... It's no longer about scholar/athletes .... Sure some will hopefully get a education in the process but it's all about cash now...

Advertisement
The only thing that needs to be regulated or capped or watched or worried about or whatever are these so called "collectives". John Ruiz covered all this last night ad nauseam in the #CanesUnfiltered space. He's a lawyer as well as a businessman, so you can take whoever you want up against him to court and he's gonna be clean cause he legitimately pays these kids for their NIL services. A collective on the other hand, if you took them to court, what is their intent? And when it gets down to it, collectives are pay to play when you look at their actual intent and that's illegal. If yall missed Ruiz last night in the space, im sorry. I personally was on the fence with all this sh*t but after hearing the man talk for over an hour about NIL I fully support Ruiz. And the reason he's so boisterous and outspoken imo is because he knows he's all the way legit and there aren't many NIL programs or especially these "collectives" that are. I think we are one of the few if not the only school in the country that has an actually legit NIL program offered within our area....now, read that last sentence again until it makes sense.

There's really no answer to slow it down because the whole purpose of opening things up was to give everyone freedom... The only way to go a different direction is giving power back to the NCAA (Emmert and such) and watch things go right back to where it was before... The door has been blown wide open... there's no going back now...
This is a full scale business .... It's no longer about scholar/athletes .... Sure some will hopefully get a education in the process but it's all about cash now...
Ncaa could go back to the old rule of sitting down a year if you transfer. That isn’t stopping anyone from still signing a NIL deal and profiting on your brand.

Ncaa could go back to the old rule of sitting down a year if you transfer. That isn’t stopping anyone from still signing a NIL deal and profiting on your brand.
That's kinda my point though... Now that the door has been opened it's not getting closed again... It'll be a ugly legal battle if they try to take that away from players now... Too much went into getting it changed in the first place....

In terms of the transfer portal, it is what it is. No one said anything when GT lost its best player to Bama? So why is it shocking now when Addison wants to leave? Cause Pitt thinks they have a shot at winning any championship with him? Those chances left with Pickett! Addison is a first round pick rn. So lets say he stays and Slovis is *** and Addisons numbers and the teams performance slips. Addison is now a 2-3 rounder. So which one of yall or which Pitt fan is gonna be crying for HIM when all these circumstances ***** his money or his dreams up? If a kid wants to transfer to better himself individually...let him transfer. Cause if there is anyone in here who says they wouldn't change situations given the opportunity to better themselves...im calling you a got dayum liar!

Advertisement
In terms of the transfer portal, it is what it is. No one said anything when GT lost its best player to Bama? So why is it shocking now when Addison wants to leave? Cause Pitt thinks they have a shot at winning any championship with him? Those chances left with Pickett! Addison is a first round pick rn. So lets say he stays and Slovis is *** and Addisons numbers and the teams performance slips. Addison is now a 2-3 rounder. So which one of yall or which Pitt fan is gonna be crying for HIM when all these circumstances ***** his money or his dreams up? If a kid wants to transfer to better himself individually...let him transfer. Cause if there is anyone in here who says they wouldn't change situations given the opportunity to better themselves...im calling you a got dayum liar!
Thats kinda whats missing in this whole transfer spectrum. A lot of these kids obviously transfer with their eyes set on money, but not just from a NIL deal, but also from a draft perspective.

The college that will get Addison convinced him that they can win and get him the exposure needed to be a high draft choice.

The only thing that needs to be regulated or capped or watched or worried about or whatever are these so called "collectives". John Ruiz covered all this last night ad nauseam in the #CanesUnfiltered space. He's a lawyer as well as a businessman, so you can take whoever you want up against him to court and he's gonna be clean cause he legitimately pays these kids for their NIL services. A collective on the other hand, if you took them to court, what is their intent? And when it gets down to it, collectives are pay to play when you look at their actual intent and that's illegal. If yall missed Ruiz last night in the space, im sorry. I personally was on the fence with all this sh*t but after hearing the man talk for over an hour about NIL I fully support Ruiz. And the reason he's so boisterous and outspoken imo is because he knows he's all the way legit and there aren't many NIL programs or especially these "collectives" that are. I think we are one of the few if not the only school in the country that has an actually legit NIL program offered within our area....now, read that last sentence again until it makes sense.
Playing devil’s advocate… what if you build a collective like a stock index with business owners from one school? Would that be legal?

Playing devil’s advocate… what if you build a collective like a stock index with business owners from one school? Would that be legal?
It all goes back to intent. What are they paying for? If the players are working to promote their businesses and the businesses see ROI then they will have a leg to stand on. But if its just pay a kid to make an appearance and do this and that then its just pay to play. Not saying that isn't gonna happen cause it will but if its taken to court it would get dismantled. According to Ruiz, these collectives are the easiest case to win. Said he would mop the floor with them legally

Advertisement
That's kinda my point though... Now that the door has been opened it's not getting closed again... It'll be a ugly legal battle if they try to take that away from players now... Too much went into getting it changed in the first place....
I don’t think the rule is that difficult to reinstall.

Understood, but assuming the benefactor is a local businessman or woman, Addison isn't getting offered a multi-million dollar deal not to go to USC. And I read that He's also getting offered a condo, with the prices of real estate in SoCal that's probably millions more.

As far as slowing the transfers, I've been saying for awhile now that the NCAA needs to reduce the 85 player scholarship cap, especially if the Cali bill passes and becomes the norm.

And the portal isn't some sort of panacea, I've read that 40% of the players that hit the portal are still in the portal.

That was the initial thinking when it started but now there are kids who are saying they won't play unless they get paid more, talks of bidding wars, transferring for money. Seems like it's getting out of control.

There has got to be a better way to do this then the person with the deepest pockets wins.

Keep in mind, I'm all for ruiz, love the guy for what he's doing. I hope we work the system for all it is currently.
But it’s literally always been this way.

The difference was before it under the table.

The highest bidders have always had their pick of the liter.

Advertisement
Back