NFL Draft Scout and AFC Exec grade UM's Draft Eligible guys

Sucks to hear about jaquan he is too small to play safety at the next level, but not fast enough for the slot. He will get his shot though. Well it be in the slot or specials

Advertisement
NFL evaluators assess Miami Hurricanes' draft-eligible players | Miami Herald
Credit to Barry Jackson

A bunch of players from this UM team are going to be drafted, and here’s how an NFL executive and a draft analyst assess Miami’s draft-eligible talent:

• Junior defensive tackles Kendrick Norton and Richard McIntosh Jr: Roomates and close friends, the two juniors have asked the NFL draft advisory board for input and will soon decide whether to turn pro. It’s considered 50/50.

NFL draft analyst Tony Pauline said “Norton is a guy who can control the line of scrimmage. Defensive tackles are taken much earlier than people expect. He has played well. It is a good d-tackle draft. If he enters and the workouts go well, he is potentially a second-day kid [meaning second or third round]. McIntosh is a step below him.”

The AFC executive said he hasn’t been especially impressed by Norton and would take McIntosh higher, “in the third or fourth round. McIntosh is more athletic, can move. Norton doesn’t have great range.”

• Senior receiver Braxton Berrios: Pauline: “Potentially a pro prospect. Came into the year as a low level free agent. Not really big. Really needs to run well in workouts to show he can play in the slot. He has quickness the first 10 yards and catches the ball well. If he runs well [in workouts], he will get consideration as a late round pick.”

The AFC executive said Berrios is a “late-round pick. Good hands. Underrated speed. Can return punts. I see similarities to Danny Amendola.”

• Senior defensive end Chad Thomas: Pauline: “I like him but he’s very streaky. Makes a lot of plays and then disappears for a while. Hasn’t wowed me at any point. Came into the season with a fourth-round grade, maybe late third. I think that’s where he is. Has incredible size speed numbers. Has a lot of upside.”

The executive calls him a third- or fourth-round pick. “Strong, physical guy” and improved against the run.

• Senior tight end Chris Herndon: Pauline: “Had a sixth round grade coming into the season.” He believes he could have gone a bit higher than that before last month’s ACL injury. But that injury is damaging.

AFC scout: “I thought he would be my sleeper. But with the ACL, he is not going to be ready [for an offseason program]. Sixth, seventh round pick. Would have said fifth or higher before the injury. A better athlete than he gets credit for.”

• On senior offensive linemen Kc McDermott and Trevor Darling: Pauline: “McDermott wasn’t even graded by scouts coming into the year. I had him as a sixth round selection and he played relatively well. Decent size at 6-4, 295. I could see him sneaking into the late rounds. Darling is a marginal free agent.”

The executive said he rates both as undrafted free agents.

• Cornerback Dee Delaney: Pauline sees him as a potentially mid-to-late round pick who can play in nickel or dime packages. The executive said he has been unimpressed by Delaney and wouldn’t draft him.

• Senior defensive end Trent Harris, who has eight sacks:

Pauline: “He came into this season graded as a priority free agent. You can’t dismiss the production, but was it him or everyone else [playing well that helped him] be able to exploit [teams]? He’s 6-1. He is going to have to play standing up” if he makes the NFL instead of playing defensive end.

The executive: “I like him. I would take him in the late rounds. He’s a surprise to me. Can rush the quarterback.”

• Pauline said of running back Mark Walton, who’s turning pro after his October season-ending ankle injury: “A lot is dictated on the Combine medicals. It would be a reach for him to get into third round.”

The AFC executive deems Walton a fourth-round pick. “He would be higher if he hadn’t had the injury. I like that he can return kicks.”

• The AFC executive said neither Jaquan Johnson nor cornerback Michael Jackson should turn pro and that he’s not sure either is an NFL player: “Johnson makes plays but he’s small. Jackson wouldn’t be drafted.”

UM people aren’t expecting Johnson to turn pro. Caneinsight’s Peter Ariz reported Jackson is leaning toward turning pro.

• That AFC executive said the two areas where UM particularly needs to improve to be on Clemson’s level are quarterback and offensive line.

He said the line simply isn’t physically talented enough and UM must hope either Malik Rosier improves substantially or N’Kosi Perry wins the job next spring. “Rosier is just a guy; he needs to work on a lot of things,” the executive said.

Just an FYI, Tony Pauline is a laughingstock in the NFL. Is used as humor behind closed doors with teams. But he is worth a chuckle.

So...on the other side of the coin..there are a ton of cats in the nfl who cannot evaluate talent.

I would be curious to see what teams the anonymous ones rep.

Advertisement
its only 2 evaluators who don't even have correct info i.e. Herndon was a MCL not ACL...with that said, most of these guys should be coming back

I got slammed on here for saying same exact thing about Herndon. Not sure why people thought he was a 2nd day guy. Disagree with the MJ assessment but most of the rest seems accurate. Nothing on Badgley?

Miami guys almost always outperform their draft slot.

Look no further than Adrian Colbert. He played every snap last week and looks like a potential stud safety.

Advertisement
No Jr should leave. They are not ready and can do more for themselves and the program coming back.

Advertisement
"NFL Scouts" are some of the best comedians around. Especially the ones cited in blurb-type articles. The level of analysis is typically so shallow, the writers should just link corresponding team message boards. Not even saying anything about the content of this article. They're just generally pointless.

And then after the NFL combine all of them will rise up the draft boards. They didn't get preseason hype so it's like clock work they're going to underrate our player's.

Herndon could have a leg amputated and would still be a steal where this guy has him going.

Advertisement
NFL evaluators assess Miami Hurricanes' draft-eligible players | Miami Herald
Credit to Barry Jackson

A bunch of players from this UM team are going to be drafted, and here’s how an NFL executive and a draft analyst assess Miami’s draft-eligible talent:

• Junior defensive tackles Kendrick Norton and Richard McIntosh Jr: Roomates and close friends, the two juniors have asked the NFL draft advisory board for input and will soon decide whether to turn pro. It’s considered 50/50.

NFL draft analyst Tony Pauline said “Norton is a guy who can control the line of scrimmage. Defensive tackles are taken much earlier than people expect. He has played well. It is a good d-tackle draft. If he enters and the workouts go well, he is potentially a second-day kid [meaning second or third round]. McIntosh is a step below him.”

The AFC executive said he hasn’t been especially impressed by Norton and would take McIntosh higher, “in the third or fourth round. McIntosh is more athletic, can move. Norton doesn’t have great range.”

• Senior receiver Braxton Berrios: Pauline: “Potentially a pro prospect. Came into the year as a low level free agent. Not really big. Really needs to run well in workouts to show he can play in the slot. He has quickness the first 10 yards and catches the ball well. If he runs well [in workouts], he will get consideration as a late round pick.”

The AFC executive said Berrios is a “late-round pick. Good hands. Underrated speed. Can return punts. I see similarities to Danny Amendola.”

• Senior defensive end Chad Thomas: Pauline: “I like him but he’s very streaky. Makes a lot of plays and then disappears for a while. Hasn’t wowed me at any point. Came into the season with a fourth-round grade, maybe late third. I think that’s where he is. Has incredible size speed numbers. Has a lot of upside.”

The executive calls him a third- or fourth-round pick. “Strong, physical guy” and improved against the run.

• Senior tight end Chris Herndon: Pauline: “Had a sixth round grade coming into the season.” He believes he could have gone a bit higher than that before last month’s ACL injury. But that injury is damaging.

AFC scout: “I thought he would be my sleeper. But with the ACL, he is not going to be ready [for an offseason program]. Sixth, seventh round pick. Would have said fifth or higher before the injury. A better athlete than he gets credit for.”

• On senior offensive linemen Kc McDermott and Trevor Darling: Pauline: “McDermott wasn’t even graded by scouts coming into the year. I had him as a sixth round selection and he played relatively well. Decent size at 6-4, 295. I could see him sneaking into the late rounds. Darling is a marginal free agent.”

The executive said he rates both as undrafted free agents.

• Cornerback Dee Delaney: Pauline sees him as a potentially mid-to-late round pick who can play in nickel or dime packages. The executive said he has been unimpressed by Delaney and wouldn’t draft him.

• Senior defensive end Trent Harris, who has eight sacks:

Pauline: “He came into this season graded as a priority free agent. You can’t dismiss the production, but was it him or everyone else [playing well that helped him] be able to exploit [teams]? He’s 6-1. He is going to have to play standing up” if he makes the NFL instead of playing defensive end.

The executive: “I like him. I would take him in the late rounds. He’s a surprise to me. Can rush the quarterback.”

• Pauline said of running back Mark Walton, who’s turning pro after his October season-ending ankle injury: “A lot is dictated on the Combine medicals. It would be a reach for him to get into third round.”

The AFC executive deems Walton a fourth-round pick. “He would be higher if he hadn’t had the injury. I like that he can return kicks.”

• The AFC executive said neither Jaquan Johnson nor cornerback Michael Jackson should turn pro and that he’s not sure either is an NFL player: “Johnson makes plays but he’s small. Jackson wouldn’t be drafted.”

UM people aren’t expecting Johnson to turn pro. Caneinsight’s Peter Ariz reported Jackson is leaning toward turning pro.

• That AFC executive said the two areas where UM particularly needs to improve to be on Clemson’s level are quarterback and offensive line.

He said the line simply isn’t physically talented enough and UM must hope either Malik Rosier improves substantially or N’Kosi Perry wins the job next spring. “Rosier is just a guy; he needs to work on a lot of things,” the executive said.

Surprised Chad Thomas is that highly thought of. He does have size but to many times he just flats out whiffs on plays

McIntosh to me is a late 2nd - 4th round pick. Dude flashes way to much at DT for teams not to like him more. If he drops far it will because of his inconsistency defending the run something I pointed out super earlier at the beginning of the season when I kept saying our DL didn't make enough plays in the run game (which was corrected a bit). If Mc goes high it will likely be to a 4-3/wide 9 team.

Norton is a 3-4 tackle. Athletic space eater.

I told y'all boys Trent is gonna be a LB or at least a 3-4 LB anyways.

Delaney made a huge mistake coming here. He would of probably got drafted in the 5-7th round if he stayed with The Citadel. He got exposed.
Dude was slow, trash hips, and was constantly lost on defense. He was a liability if anything else and all he showed was he could tackle. I hope he gets drafted though.

Walton is a 5th-6th round back at best. He as of now is just a 3rd down back. He can catch and pass block well (the characteristic of a 3rd down back) He isn't fast (don't even try to debate that.. he got chased down by a Toledo and Bethune DB) and his film as a runner is unimpressive vs legit competition.

I do agree with the Jaquan quote. Doesn't mean he can't play though.

Mike Jackson should leave while the going is hot. I don't think his stock will get any higher then it is right now.

Clearly this AFC executive has watched enough Canes football to know what he is talking about if he know about Nkosi Perry. Might lowkey be a Canes fan.

Look no further than Adrian Colbert. He played every snap last week and looks like a potential stud safety.

The problem is these dudes need to stop running to be 4th and 5th round picks.

That was bc they were horrifically coached. One would assume our staff is getting the most out of these guys now.

It would be disconcerting if the “play better in the NFL than at UM” continues.

Coach kool said a few weeks ago that nfl people have talked to him about chad and that they really like him.

Advertisement
Back