NFL Draft Scout and AFC Exec grade UM's Draft Eligible guys

Dan Sileo JR

Band
Banned
NFL evaluators assess Miami Hurricanes' draft-eligible players | Miami Herald
Credit to Barry Jackson

A bunch of players from this UM team are going to be drafted, and here’s how an NFL executive and a draft analyst assess Miami’s draft-eligible talent:

• Junior defensive tackles Kendrick Norton and Richard McIntosh Jr: Roomates and close friends, the two juniors have asked the NFL draft advisory board for input and will soon decide whether to turn pro. It’s considered 50/50.

NFL draft analyst Tony Pauline said “Norton is a guy who can control the line of scrimmage. Defensive tackles are taken much earlier than people expect. He has played well. It is a good d-tackle draft. If he enters and the workouts go well, he is potentially a second-day kid [meaning second or third round]. McIntosh is a step below him.”

The AFC executive said he hasn’t been especially impressed by Norton and would take McIntosh higher, “in the third or fourth round. McIntosh is more athletic, can move. Norton doesn’t have great range.”

• Senior receiver Braxton Berrios: Pauline: “Potentially a pro prospect. Came into the year as a low level free agent. Not really big. Really needs to run well in workouts to show he can play in the slot. He has quickness the first 10 yards and catches the ball well. If he runs well [in workouts], he will get consideration as a late round pick.”

The AFC executive said Berrios is a “late-round pick. Good hands. Underrated speed. Can return punts. I see similarities to Danny Amendola.”

• Senior defensive end Chad Thomas: Pauline: “I like him but he’s very streaky. Makes a lot of plays and then disappears for a while. Hasn’t wowed me at any point. Came into the season with a fourth-round grade, maybe late third. I think that’s where he is. Has incredible size speed numbers. Has a lot of upside.”

The executive calls him a third- or fourth-round pick. “Strong, physical guy” and improved against the run.

• Senior tight end Chris Herndon: Pauline: “Had a sixth round grade coming into the season.” He believes he could have gone a bit higher than that before last month’s ACL injury. But that injury is damaging.

AFC scout: “I thought he would be my sleeper. But with the ACL, he is not going to be ready [for an offseason program]. Sixth, seventh round pick. Would have said fifth or higher before the injury. A better athlete than he gets credit for.”

• On senior offensive linemen Kc McDermott and Trevor Darling: Pauline: “McDermott wasn’t even graded by scouts coming into the year. I had him as a sixth round selection and he played relatively well. Decent size at 6-4, 295. I could see him sneaking into the late rounds. Darling is a marginal free agent.”

The executive said he rates both as undrafted free agents.

• Cornerback Dee Delaney: Pauline sees him as a potentially mid-to-late round pick who can play in nickel or dime packages. The executive said he has been unimpressed by Delaney and wouldn’t draft him.

• Senior defensive end Trent Harris, who has eight sacks:

Pauline: “He came into this season graded as a priority free agent. You can’t dismiss the production, but was it him or everyone else [playing well that helped him] be able to exploit [teams]? He’s 6-1. He is going to have to play standing up” if he makes the NFL instead of playing defensive end.

The executive: “I like him. I would take him in the late rounds. He’s a surprise to me. Can rush the quarterback.”

• Pauline said of running back Mark Walton, who’s turning pro after his October season-ending ankle injury: “A lot is dictated on the Combine medicals. It would be a reach for him to get into third round.”

The AFC executive deems Walton a fourth-round pick. “He would be higher if he hadn’t had the injury. I like that he can return kicks.”

• The AFC executive said neither Jaquan Johnson nor cornerback Michael Jackson should turn pro and that he’s not sure either is an NFL player: “Johnson makes plays but he’s small. Jackson wouldn’t be drafted.”

UM people aren’t expecting Johnson to turn pro. Caneinsight’s Peter Ariz reported Jackson is leaning toward turning pro.

• That AFC executive said the two areas where UM particularly needs to improve to be on Clemson’s level are quarterback and offensive line.

He said the line simply isn’t physically talented enough and UM must hope either Malik Rosier improves substantially or N’Kosi Perry wins the job next spring. “Rosier is just a guy; he needs to work on a lot of things,” the executive said.

Advertisement
These kids will never learn.

Also - we won a lot of games this year basically without any top 100 pick talent according to these guys. Not bad

Have yearby and kaaya hand deliver it to all those guys and tell them after bowl game get ready for off-season program.. **** is ridiculous, stay yo *** in school

Other thing I learned, looks like herndon injury was acl.. yikes, that sucks..

Advertisement
So with about 130 scholarships Al Golden will have delivered 2 first rounders , a couple 2-3 rders and a handful of 4-6 rounders, sounds about right

I could nitpick a few things, specifically that he's too low on Michael Jackson. I also still have seen positive reviews on Delaney, believe it or not. Defensive backs are in high demand. Some scouts don't place full emphasis on a graduate transfer's solo season as opposed to what he did while entrenched at the original program.

But overall it's a fair analysis and indeed should be a jolt of reality. The programs that annually have those recruiting classes in the Top 5 are sending first round kids into the league in waves, while we have a bunch of middle and late round hopefuls. And it's been obvious all along. That's why I've posted that it's ridiculous for some of the top administrators of this forum to be pushing the term national championship as some type of realistic opportunity in the short term.

"Second most NFL ready talent in the country behind Bama"

[MENTION=10155]JgDaCane[/MENTION] two weeks ago.

Advertisement
These kids really do need a reality check. None of them are top prospects, none of them have put in the required tape. The only reason the should be thinking about leaving early is if they truly believe they've reached their ceiling and know staying another year could only hurt them.

IMO -

Seniors:

Chad Thomas: 3rd - 5th

Berrios: 5th - 7th

Herdon: 3rd - 4th

Mcdermott: 6th - Free Agent

Darling: 7th - Free Agent

Trent Harris: 6th - Free Agent

Dee Delany: 6th- Free Agent

Juniors:

Norton: 4th-6th (Shouldn't Leave)

Mcintosh: 2nd - 3nd (Maybe even borderline 1st)

Walton: 4th - 5th

Mike Jackson: 4th - 6th (AKA Shouldn't leave)

We as fans tend to over rate our kids. We had people talking about Rosier....freaking Rosier as a NFL QB! Just because you play decent and do your job doesn't mean you're a stud. Studs take over games, especially big ones. Clemsons DT took over the game against us, he's going round 1. Their QB took over the game against us, he's a NFL prospect.

Advertisement
Have yearby and kaaya hand deliver it to all those guys and tell them after bowl game get ready for off-season program.. **** is ridiculous, stay yo *** in school

unless there is new info, its an MCL.

If all comeback, we compete for a playoff spot next year. If not, most of them will wish they came back for their senior years. Every junior listed in that article would be 1st team All ACC and JJ and RJ would get AA hype. Come back, get stronger, get better, get your degree and beat Clemson!

Advertisement
IMO -

Seniors:

Chad Thomas: 3rd - 5th

Berrios: 5th - 7th

Herdon: 3rd - 4th

Mcdermott: 6th - Free Agent

Darling: 7th - Free Agent

Trent Harris: 6th - Free Agent

Dee Delany: 6th- Free Agent

Juniors:

Norton: 4th-6th (Shouldn't Leave)

Mcintosh: 2nd - 3nd (Maybe even borderline 1st)

Walton: 4th - 5th

Mike Jackson: 4th - 6th (AKA Shouldn't leave)
i doubt Jackson would be drafted. He played ok, but not consistent. There are plenty of corners who played more consistently than he did this year. He needs to come back next year and make plays against our best competition (FSU, VT, Clemson). Now, if he has 2 picks in our Bowl game and shuts down his guy all game then I'll change my tune.

unless there is new info, its an MCL.

Well I clicked the link and it says Dec 6. Im going by what is in article, maybe these guys are more privy. Where and when is MCL info from?

Advertisement
Back