New stadium venues, Overtown or Tropical Park?

Advertisement
NO STADIUM WILL EVER BE BUILT IN CORAL GABLES. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS. THIS IS NOT A VIDEO GAME.

there is a master plan that was negotiated by UM and the city of coral gables. it does not include a stadium. the residents of coral gables will never allow it.

In our good times, we average larger crowds than that so you're essentially turning money away.

We don't even need good times... 77k for UF game in 2013.

You're delusional if you think there was 77k for that Florida game. Upper deck was empty in the corners.
Shhhhh, he's on a roll.

Florida (1-1) vs. Miami (2-0)
Date: Sep 07, 2013 • Site: Miami Gardens, Fla. • Stadium: Sun Life Stadium
Attendance: 76968
Kickoff time: 12:01 • End of Game: 3:27 • Total elapsed time: 3:26
Officials: Referee: Jeff Flanagan; Umpire: Jim Eckl; Linesman: M. Fitzgerald;
Line judge: Hugh Campbell; Back judge: Robert Luklan; Field judge: Chris Brown;
Side judge: Watts Key;
Temperature: 81 deg • Wind: SSE 3mph • Weather: Mostly Cloudy 73%rh
Do you remember the 66,000 at the Wake Forest game in 2013? If you believe UM's attendance figures as literal attendance, then you will believe almost anything.

Exactly. That's what I'm sayin. More than 55k tickets sold, but less than 30k people in the stadium.

We're never going to fill it unless we're good and playing a big game, but we can sell way more tickets than 45k even when we suck.

In our good times, we average larger crowds than that so you're essentially turning money away.

We don't even need good times... 77k for UF game in 2013.

You're delusional if you think there was 77k for that Florida game. Upper deck was empty in the corners.
Shhhhh, he's on a roll.

Florida (1-1) vs. Miami (2-0)
Date: Sep 07, 2013 • Site: Miami Gardens, Fla. • Stadium: Sun Life Stadium
Attendance: 76968
Kickoff time: 12:01 • End of Game: 3:27 • Total elapsed time: 3:26
Officials: Referee: Jeff Flanagan; Umpire: Jim Eckl; Linesman: M. Fitzgerald;
Line judge: Hugh Campbell; Back judge: Robert Luklan; Field judge: Chris Brown;
Side judge: Watts Key;
Temperature: 81 deg • Wind: SSE 3mph • Weather: Mostly Cloudy 73%rh

I bet you believe we had 60k vs. Nebraska too. Go watch the game. You'll see many empty sections in the upper deck. I was there and remember very clearly.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I live not far from Tropical Park. There are huge lakes on that property, primarily the east side. I suppose there is some reason they couldn't be filled in.

Fill one of them in and that's enough room for a stadium right there.

yeah lets do same thing as Beckham....buy cheap land near UM, not in Gables, and build a 50k seat stadium.

Advertisement
Fellow Fans,

I grew up actually attending all the OB games in years gone past...and even during the most dominant seasons ('87 and '00, '01, and '02 in my opinion) the stadium was rarely full except for "big" games (aren't they all really?). The problem isn't going to be solved by filling in Lake Osceola next to the Rat. The issue is South Florida itself, just like LA. USC and UCLA don't sell out either. Why? Because there is just too much competition for time and disposable income in these markets. Why does Alabama have 100k at a scrimmage? BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN ALABAMA...and admit it or not, the available pass times are not on the same level as South Florida.

Our Canes play in arguably a TOP 5 NFL venue, what better facilities are there going to be? So what its half empty? Winning games is the only performance metric that needs to be worried about. I attended this year's UM-UNC matchup in Chapel Hill--gorgeous on campus facility with a team on a great run during the season. You know how many attended? Maybe 2/3s full...maybe...and that wasn't even until after EOQ1.

The real problem with Sun Life (always Joe Robbie to me) is distance. Somehow UM needs to figure a way to make student access easy...and compelling. Maybe ramp up the party bus atmosphere, have laid out tailgating ready upon arrival, and even consider pre-game concerts featuring local acts. What better way to say..we are Miami..than to have EDM girls on TV. Another is to get the local South Florida populace out...and the Dolphins don't even sell out!

If UM can conjure a way to make the game experience compelling and of consumer value, the fans will overflow whatever stadium they play in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We need an on campus stadium.

Buy up the golf course/ country club behind the nursing school and there's your land.

Is that a joke?

Absolutely. It ain't for sale and never will be. Guaranteed.

Eminent domain

Wait wait wait. Eminent domain by a city that would never authorize and would vote down a stadium?

Yep, has to be trolling.

You gotta think bigger. We can get the golf course if we really want it. It's not even a nice golf course.

NO STADIUM WILL EVER BE BUILT IN CORAL GABLES. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS. THIS IS NOT A VIDEO GAME.

there is a master plan that was negotiated by UM and the city of coral gables. it does not include a stadium. the residents of coral gables will never allow it.

Possibly, possibly not.

Anyway, Coral Gables isn't necessarily the answer. It could be south Miami, it could be overtown, etc.

Fellow Fans,

I grew up actually attending all the OB games in years gone past...and even during the most dominant seasons ('87 and '00, '01, and '02 in my opinion) the stadium was rarely full except for "big" games (aren't they all really?). The problem isn't going to be solved by filling in Lake Osceola next to the Rat. The issue is South Florida itself, just like LA. USC and UCLA don't sell out either. Why? Because there is just too much competition for time and disposable income in these markets. Why does Alabama have 100k at a scrimmage? BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN ALABAMA...and admit it or not, the available pass times are not on the same level as South Florida.

Our Canes play in arguably a TOP 5 NFL venue, what better facilities are there going to be? So what its half empty? Winning games is the only performance metric that needs to be worried about. I attended this year's UM-UNC matchup in Chapel Hill--gorgeous on campus facility with a team on a great run during the season. You know how many attended? Maybe 2/3s full...maybe...and that wasn't even until after EOQ1.

The real problem with Sun Life (always Joe Robbie to me) is distance. Somehow UM needs to figure a way to make student access easy...and compelling. Maybe ramp up the party bus atmosphere, have laid out tailgating ready upon arrival, and even consider pre-game concerts featuring local acts. What better way to say..we are Miami..than to have EDM girls on TV. Another is to get the local South Florida populace out...and the Dolphins don't even sell out!

If UM can conjure a way to make the game experience compelling and of consumer value, the fans will overflow whatever stadium they play in.

Look at USC's attendance over the years. They sell plenty of tickets

Advertisement
Back