New stadium venues, Overtown or Tropical Park?

I'd call that selection bias.

Without giving too much information, I use to have an office at SLS. Therefore, I have attended many events, sporting games and concerts at SLS. Outside major events like the SB, World Series, WrestleMania and U2 concerts, the atmosphere at SLS is beyond terrible. Unfortunately, the renovations did very little to fix that problem. '

Cane games have been brutal to watch at SLS. Even the atmosphere for some FSU games (2008 and 2010) were not that great compared to the OB or Doak. We didn't even sellout the Florida game. It really sucks that this is our only option.

Especially now with those teal seats....
Yeah, the color of the seats is the problem. Smh

Has it not been brutal to watch patches of teal mixed in with some orange on tv??? Hasn't it not been brutal looking up and seeing an empty upper bowl?? I sorry did I miss something? I thought having a good game day atmosphere and looking good on tv would attract top recruits. I guess not.
An empty upper deck isn't empty because the seats are teal. Empty seats will show no matter what the color. The year before, the complaint was that the seats were orange. And, yes, it looked just as bad.

It's not the color of the seats that matters. It's whether or not there is a person in the seat that matters.

Advertisement
I'd call that selection bias.

Without giving too much information, I use to have an office at SLS. Therefore, I have attended many events, sporting games and concerts at SLS. Outside major events like the SB, World Series, WrestleMania and U2 concerts, the atmosphere at SLS is beyond terrible. Unfortunately, the renovations did very little to fix that problem. '

Cane games have been brutal to watch at SLS. Even the atmosphere for some FSU games (2008 and 2010) were not that great compared to the OB or Doak. We didn't even sellout the Florida game. It really sucks that this is our only option.

Especially now with those teal seats....
Yeah, the color of the seats is the problem. Smh

Has it not been brutal to watch patches of teal mixed in with some orange on tv??? Hasn't it not been brutal looking up and seeing an empty upper bowl?? I sorry did I miss something? I thought having a good game day atmosphere and looking good on tv would attract top recruits. I guess not.

Glad you came to the correct conclusion. Stop spending all your time trying to look at the chairs and look at the field. This effects winning and recruiting as much as black cleats.

We can definitely do Tropical Park, especially if we can partner with the COM...remember, the OB was a Public Works project. This can very much be like what Stanford did with their stadium, although it'll be a lot more in today's dollars than the $90M they spent, and I prefer a horseshoe than the octagon stadium they have.

An empty upper deck isn't empty because the seats are teal. Empty seats will show no matter what the color. The year before, the complaint was that the seats were orange. And, yes, it looked just as bad.

It's not the color of the seats that matters. It's whether or not there is a person in the seat that matters.

This might be a red herring, but can you name me one team, that plays in an NFL stadium, that's won a NC?

This might be a red herring, but can you name me one team, that plays in an NFL stadium, that's won a NC?

Other than Miami?

Advertisement

The orange bowl was an nfl stadium for 20 years. So Miami and USC. How about name national title teams that even have an nfl stadium close enough but dont.

Theres more teams that have not won a title with a college stadium than have won too lol. How many teams with yellow socks won a title completely irrelevant as the stadium.

Stadium good enough for NCAA Playoffs but not for canesfans who spend more time counting the seats and wishing seats matched their shirt than watching game.

The orange bowl was an nfl stadium for 20 years. So Miami and USC.

Not quite boss...the OB was built for UM, it was NEVER the Dolphins stadium. And the Coliseum was never an NFL stadium, wasn't built for the NFL, that place was basically a hotel for pro teams without a home. So that's zero...not saying it'll never happen, but it hasn't.

Not quite boss...the OB was built for UM, it was NEVER the Dolphins stadium. And the Coliseum was never an NFL stadium, wasn't built for the NFL, that place was basically a hotel for pro teams without a home. So that's zero...not saying it'll never happen, but it hasn't.

Idiotic argument that you made worse. NFL plays there 20 years its nfl stadium. Was 5 superbowls there? Dumbest argument for a stadium ever. Which national title winning teams had a nearby available nfl stadium yet didnt use it?

Advertisement

Ummm... the phins played in the OB for like 20 years before Joe Robbie. There was a live dolphin in a tank and everything.

Idiotic argument that you made worse. NFL plays there 20 years its nfl stadium. Was 5 superbowls there? Dumbest argument for a stadium ever. Which national title winning teams had a nearby available nfl stadium yet didnt use it?

Nahhhhhh buddy, the Dolphins were a guest, not the landlord, but nice try though. Again, ZERO CFB teams that play in an NFL stadium have won a NC....ZEEEEEE-RO!

At least the guy is trying. So many times you hear "a stadium close to campus is never going to happen," but no one really did anything about it. I appreciate him trying to get the ball rolling.

Everyone should get behind him because our school and AD have no ***ing plan.

You mean except the plan that is the BOT and Athletic dept working with Lemonis to look at the feasibility of Tropical Park?

What plan? Tell me about this plan they're leading.

Do you expect to have access to a live video stream of their meetings? Breaking news: it's possible to have a plan without you knowing about it.

Oh so something exists when there is no proof of it? Makes sense.

Here are our AD's quotes on a stadium:

"In all seriousness, as I said before, there isn’t anyone who would enjoy an on-campus stadium more than I would, but it’s not a realistic situation to even discuss. We don’t have the land for it, and if we did have the land, there just isn’t the infrastructure in this place. We’re playing in a first-rate facility that is in the process of only getting better and I’m confident that we’re putting our student-athletes into a premier facility in the country and with the new additions we’re going to put our fans into an environment that will be even better. I’m not going to say it’s going to ever create anything what the Orange Bowl was, because those were special days and games that I would go to at the OB but I think it’s going to create a much different environment and an atmosphere that will much more closely resemble the atmosphere we had at the Orange Bowl." [Quote 1]

“Right now, I don’t see a better option than Sun Life Stadium,” James said. “In my opinion, there isn’t another option out there. If there was another option, would I want to look at it? For sure. As long as [incoming] President [Julio] Frenk gave me the approval to do it, we would investigate all possibilities."
[Quote 2]

Breaking the lease with 17 years remaining would be a significant financial obstacle for UM, though it’s unclear how large. James said he will “continue to look at all options, but we’re happy at Sun Life Stadium.” [Quote 3]

I thought this was a known thing about the comments and plans from the school [in regards to the stadium]. Let's quit throwing bullchit about a plan for a stadium. There is none coming from UM. There may be a plan from the outside, but nothing from UM.

NEVER FORGET....Then there was this lovely article from our outgoing president.

"I would love to do something before I leave," Shalala said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I'm not sure I'm going to be able to, but I'm putting in everybody's head that we've got to figure this one out."

"I know this: Leasing space is not the best situation for anyone, for the Dolphins or for us," Shalala said. "Being a tenant, we've had two tenancies, one at the Orange Bowl and one at Dolphins Stadium, and I don't much like being a tenant."

Outgoing Miami president doesn’t know where Hurricanes will play in a few years | CollegeFootballTalk

Donna Shalala says Miami considering shared football stadium...

At least the guy is trying. So many times you hear "a stadium close to campus is never going to happen," but no one really did anything about it. I appreciate him trying to get the ball rolling.

Everyone should get behind him because our school and AD have no ***ing plan.

You mean except the plan that is the BOT and Athletic dept working with Lemonis to look at the feasibility of Tropical Park?

What plan? Tell me about this plan they're leading.

Earlier this year, Lemonis became a "significant donor" to the athletic department and is in regular communication with Blake James and Jesse Marks. When Lemonis announced his $1 million donation to start the Tropical Park stadium process, the school put members of the BoT in touch with Marcus and they've had conversations on the process and key players who should be involved. Marcus then met last week with City and County (and possibly UM, but I can't verify that) officials about the process. It's still very early, but the effort is underway and the school is working with Marcus. I don't know about the earlier efforts, but Marcus is not one to waste his time on things if they aren't realistic.

This would be a plan from the outside, where is the ***ing school?

Also, can you backup any of the bullchit meetings you wrote about?

Advertisement

Nahhhhhh buddy, the Dolphins were a guest, not the landlord, but nice try though. Again, ZERO CFB teams that play in an NFL stadium have won a NC....ZEEEEEE-RO!

Idiots. How many NFL stadiums are in Alabama? Im sure bama would have never won a title with a different stadium.

Idiots. How many NFL stadiums are in Alabama? Im sure bama would have never won a title with a different stadium.

Buddy, stop it, don't get ya' blood pressure up, your argument has been rendered useless. Again...ZEEEEEE...RO!!!

Ok so lets say zero. Please explain the relevance. No national title winners with a coach named Mark either. Just as relevant.

Glad i only have to deal with these morons on message boards...and when they leave their turn signal on for 5miles in traffic.

Advertisement
Ok so lets say zero. Please explain the relevance.

Buddy, when the visiting team stays closer to your stadium than you do, it's relevant. And trust me, I used to be one of those "It doesn't matter where we play" guys, but it matters.

You act as if recruits don't take recruiting visits.

When recruits visit Tuscaloosa, it matters.

When recruits visit Tallahassee, it matters.

When recruits visit Gainesville, it matters.

Quite simply, it matters.

Nahhhhhh buddy, the Dolphins were a guest, not the landlord, but nice try though. Again, ZERO CFB teams that play in an NFL stadium have won a NC....ZEEEEEE-RO!*

Buddy, stop it, don't get ya' blood pressure up, your argument has been rendered useless. Again...ZEEEEEE...RO!!!*

*other than Miami

Ok so lets say zero. Please explain the relevance.

Buddy, when the visiting team stays closer to your stadium than you do, it's relevant. And trust me, I used to be one of those "It doesn't matter where we play" guys, but it matters.

You act as if recruits don't take recruiting visits.

When recruits visit Tuscaloosa, it matters.

When recruits visit Tallahassee, it matters.

When recruits visit Gainesville, it matters.

Quite simply, it matters.

It matters if the team and coach are good or trash thats it. Most comments by recruits have been positive about the stadium. Only dillhole fans cry about it, who also feel like we would win ten titles in a row if we could just copy our old uniforms...

You mean its more impressive to drag recruits through overtown to see a stadium that looks like what many top recruits played in during high school?

Advertisement
Back