New stadium venues, Overtown or Tropical Park?

Advertisement
Look, im all for a nice new stadium, right on the roof of the medical school for all i care. The point is, that isnt holding us back from winning. If we get to the title game the game is often going to be in NFL stadiums including Sun Life and Raymond James in Tampa, Arizona Cardinals stadium, superdome, vikings stadium, etc...

Ok so lets say zero. Please explain the relevance.

Buddy, when the visiting team stays closer to your stadium than you do, it's relevant. And trust me, I used to be one of those "It doesn't matter where we play" guys, but it matters.

You act as if recruits don't take recruiting visits.

When recruits visit Tuscaloosa, it matters.

When recruits visit Tallahassee, it matters.

When recruits visit Gainesville, it matters.

Quite simply, it matters.

It matters if the team and coach are good or trash thats it. Most comments by recruits have been positive about the stadium. Only dillhole fans cry about it, who also feel like we would win ten titles in a row if we could just copy our old uniforms...

You mean its more impressive to drag recruits through overtown to see a stadium that looks like what many top recruits played in during high school?

You haven't even seen a rendering of beckhams stadium and you're already trashing it? If you think overtown is going to stay overtown for much longer, you're delusional. Remember wynwood 10 years ago?

Beckhams stadium will be next to some already establish restaurants on the river, (which btw there is already a master plan out for that area) and walking distance to the metro rail for UM students. What more could you ask for?

I for one hate the thought of UM continuing to play in a stadium owned by a jackass who thought having Gator day was a good idea.

Everyone should get behind him because our school and AD have no ***ing plan.

You mean except the plan that is the BOT and Athletic dept working with Lemonis to look at the feasibility of Tropical Park?

What plan? Tell me about this plan they're leading.

Earlier this year, Lemonis became a "significant donor" to the athletic department and is in regular communication with Blake James and Jesse Marks. When Lemonis announced his $1 million donation to start the Tropical Park stadium process, the school put members of the BoT in touch with Marcus and they've had conversations on the process and key players who should be involved. Marcus then met last week with City and County (and possibly UM, but I can't verify that) officials about the process. It's still very early, but the effort is underway and the school is working with Marcus. I don't know about the earlier efforts, but Marcus is not one to waste his time on things if they aren't realistic.

This would be a plan from the outside, where is the ***ing school?

Also, can you backup any of the bullchit meetings you wrote about?

Try to be civil, friend. We're all looking to support the Canes. This is not a sparring contest.

Who cares where the next effort was started? The school has looked into TP in the past and it didn't work out so they moved on. Now Marcus has started another effort and the school is working with him, helping facilitate the process. That's the good news. And you just posted a quote from Blake James that the school would work with anyone who had a different idea. He's true to his word.

As far as the meetings and conversations are concerned, they are public record. Marcus has posted two videos on Facebook, he's Tweeted about the TP stadium effort, his conversations with BoT members, and his interview on WQAM the Monday after the UM-Ga Tech game is streamed on their website where he discussed TP. In one video, he explained that he flew down to Miami from Chicago to meet with local officials. In fact, I Tweeted to Marcus suggesting a new stadium design be based on the old Orange Bowl configuration and Marcus replied "Bingo." So he apparently likes a TP stadium that looks like a ~45,000 seat OB.

All this is early in the next effort. It may not work out, but it would be nice if people would support it. Cheers.

Advertisement
Look, im all for a nice new stadium, right on the roof of the medical school for all i care. The point is, that isnt holding us back from winning. If we get to the title game the game is often going to be in NFL stadiums including Sun Life and Raymond James in Tampa, Arizona Cardinals stadium, superdome, vikings stadium, etc...

I respectfully disagree that SLS isn't playing a role with our success. I agree that the stadium isn't the reason why we have been struggling the last 10 years; however, I do believe SLS hurts the program more than it helps. We even heard the Gameday crew make fun of us at SLS earlier this year. SLS doesn't provide a home field advantage. Opponents have gone on record saying they don't prepare for the noise factor when they play at Miami. This isn't good for the program. Our rivals use all of this against us and I do believe it has had a negative effect on our recruiting.

You mean except the plan that is the BOT and Athletic dept working with Lemonis to look at the feasibility of Tropical Park?

What plan? Tell me about this plan they're leading.

Earlier this year, Lemonis became a "significant donor" to the athletic department and is in regular communication with Blake James and Jesse Marks. When Lemonis announced his $1 million donation to start the Tropical Park stadium process, the school put members of the BoT in touch with Marcus and they've had conversations on the process and key players who should be involved. Marcus then met last week with City and County (and possibly UM, but I can't verify that) officials about the process. It's still very early, but the effort is underway and the school is working with Marcus. I don't know about the earlier efforts, but Marcus is not one to waste his time on things if they aren't realistic.

This would be a plan from the outside, where is the ***ing school?

Also, can you backup any of the bullchit meetings you wrote about?

Try to be civil, friend. We're all looking to support the Canes. This is not a sparring contest.

Who cares where the next effort was started? The school has looked into TP in the past and it didn't work out so they moved on. Now Marcus has started another effort and the school is working with him, helping facilitate the process. That's the good news. And you just posted a quote from Blake James that the school would work with anyone who had a different idea. He's true to his word.

As far as the meetings and conversations are concerned, they are public record. Marcus has posted two videos on Facebook, he's Tweeted about the TP stadium effort, his conversations with BoT members, and his interview on WQAM the Monday after the UM-Ga Tech game is streamed on their website where he discussed TP. In one video, he explained that he flew down to Miami from Chicago to meet with local officials. In fact, I Tweeted to Marcus suggesting a new stadium design be based on the old Orange Bowl configuration and Marcus replied "Bingo." So he apparently likes a TP stadium that looks like a ~45,000 seat OB.

All this is early in the next effort. It may not work out, but it would be nice if people would support it. Cheers.

I am correcting the bullchit he posted.

Lemonis is leading the charge; the school is just following. This is how UM has been doing business for the last 15+ years. We're massive whores and we have no plan. Our AD and Miami needs to lead; instead we go with the apathetic approach.

Like I said 10000 times before (see below). Our system is broken.

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/changes-unless/90623?highlight=nothing+changes

Last edited:
[MENTION=2255]Stony157[/MENTION]...yout think the potential new stadium will get a roof or some type of overhang?

I would think a shade cover similar to the SLS cover is a good idea. As someone posted recently, it not only provides shade but it reflects noise back to the field.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back