New stadium venues, Overtown or Tropical Park?

Advertisement
If we're talking about building our own stadium that's one thing. But sharing with soccer is utterly retarded and would be a downgrade from our current situation.

Also, who cares about attendance? You guys sound like a bunch of whiny faqqoty gator fans in this thread. Crying because Mark May or that chick announcer on espn 7 cracked a joke about our attendance. It's Miami, they're going to find something to ***** about. If you guys had your way, instead of bashing our empty stadium the same members of the media would be laughing at our rinky dink 40k seat stadium that look like it belongs at a high school in Texas.

For you attendance whores, let's remember that our current stadium just had the capacity reduced by 10,692 seats to about 65k. 65 is a nice number. 40-50 is going to look good in there but it's still big enough for a big game crowd. Keep in mind it's about 15k less than the ob max.

We're not getting our own stadium anytime soon....it would be nice, but it's not happening.. You can bash the idea of sharing a stadium with Beckham because maybe you feel we're too big for soccer... But this is our best chance to play in an ideal location close to campus with an ideal capacity...we can't build our own for multiple reasons. Think about how long it took Beckham to secure a site (almost 3 years) and the dude is an icon with billionaires friends as investors. University of Miami has one person so far willing to donate a million dollars towards a stadium. that maybe covers the paper work, maybe!

Would you really rather share a stadium with the Dolphins? The franchise who honored the Gators on the same field as our hurricanes? That has to bother you since you're trying to insult us by calling us "***otty gator fans". Fact is that attendance and perception matters a lot! It matters in terms of tv contracts (money for the school) and it matters in terms of scheduling. The bottom line is we need a smaller stadium because we are a small university (student body wise). Nothing wrong with a 45k capacity stadium. No one is laughing at Baylor, TCU, Oregon, or Stanford, for having smaller venues. The partnership with Beckham is ideal.

We need an on campus stadium.

Buy up the golf course/ country club behind the nursing school and there's your land.

Advertisement
Just as a point of comparison, this new Beckham site is about 1.5 miles from the OB site and about 9 miles from campus. FWIW- this location is right near a MetroRail station. I'd still question the overall size of the land he's acquired to be able to accommodate a venue suitable for us as the Marleens Park site already had the parking infrastructure.

MLS owners support David Beckham?s proposed Overtown stadium site | Miami Herald

Last edited:
We will be fine with the renovated Sun Life. Will obviously be much nicer and should have a better feel

Beckham's stadium is 30 thousand seats. Thats too small and its in the middle of Overtown with no parking. Its an insanely bad idea

Advertisement
We will be fine with the renovated Sun Life. Will obviously be much nicer and should have a better feel

Beckham's stadium is 30 thousand seats. Thats too small and its in the middle of Overtown with no parking. Its an insanely bad idea

Public transportation with ease. Culmer Metrorail Station is approx. 2 blocks north. UM students can ride Metrorail and be at the location in a small amount of time or anyone can park their car along any Metrorail station ride into the location Additionally, several blocks to the east of the stadium will be Miami's Grand Central Station bringing passengers from up north as far as Orlando into the area. Plus, you have the Downtown trolley system that drops you off in the location. Parking doesn't have to be an issue. Yes, 30k seats is too small. UM will need to negotiate with Beckham seat expansion, which I assume Beckham will be happy to do, since it might make sense dollar wise another party involved also.

Public transportation with ease. Culmer Metrorail Station is approx. 2 blocks north. UM students can ride Metrorail and be at the location in a small amount of time or anyone can park their car along any Metrorail station ride into the location Additionally, several blocks to the east of the stadium will be Miami's Grand Central Station bringing passengers from up north as far as Orlando into the area. Plus, you have the Downtown trolley system that drops you off in the location. Parking doesn't have to be an issue. Yes, 30k seats is too small. UM will need to negotiate with Beckham seat expansion, which I assume Beckham will be happy to do, since it might make sense dollar wise another party involved also.

Are we going to eliminate tailgating??

8 pm kickoffs and people walking back to stations at midnight in overtown?

I've always been all for trying to partner with Beckham but expecting people to park far away off-site for football won't work. People just don't do the public transportation deal for football. They do for baseball and soccer but not football. Also, the neighborhood that surrounded the OB pretty much was the limit for which people were willing to do the "no blockie" street/private residence parking. I highly doubt people would be inclined in similar numbers to drive around West Overtown to do the same.

Last edited:
SunLife is it for a long time. Ross is not letting Miami out of his contract. Atmosphere will be no different anywhere else if we don't win. I sat in the OB in the late 70's and it was like a morgue. Winning cures all.

Advertisement
NO STADIUM WILL EVER BE BUILT IN CORAL GABLES. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS. THIS IS NOT A VIDEO GAME.

there is a master plan that was negotiated by UM and the city of coral gables. it does not include a stadium. the residents of coral gables will never allow it.

Yeah, parking/tailgating is a serious problem. And we need at least 40k - 45K seats.

The powers that were should have looked into using Moore Park as the site for a stadium years ago - 15+ acres right next to 95 and 195.

And something many fans may not know, Miami played at Moore Park before the Orange Bowl existed. I don't recall the first time they played there, but they played in the 1933 Palm Festival (precursor to the Orange Bowl) against Manhattan (maybe?) and shockingly won.

Unfortunately, they just renovated the park there, so it's unlikely that anything will happen. However, this should have happened years ago - maybe decades ago.

proxy.php

Advertisement

Hey, that's like OB. Gives that air of "oh crap" to the other fans. I use to park closer to 22nd ave to avoid the traffic. If the game didn't get you excited, the walk back to the car always did the trick. Maybe that's just me.

Not even. Would Saturday day games have bad traffic? Thursday night games would be a nightmare but we'd only have 1-2 of those per year.

I think Miami has already successfully requested that they don't play any Thursday night home games even at Sun Life.

A bit off topic, but just a couple days ago, some ****head on the Bleacher Report mentioned bad neighborhoods and why some recruits might re-think coming to Miami because of those bad neighborhoods.
I wanted to reach through the radio and strangle the idiot.
Of course there are bad neighborhoods. But growing up in Miami, we all learned just fine where we could go and where we should not go.
How some people get jobs on the radio with minds as small as this guys mind is.

Advertisement
Back