New roster weights

I doubt Pope is really 6'1. Pope's weight will be a non-issue here.

If you shaved Pope down to 5-11 it doesn't make a difference. It's still a very rare body type in football.

In the last 20 years of the NFL combine:

- 17% of WR's 5-10 or smaller weighed 175 or less (26 out of 154)
- 2% of WR's 5-11 to 6-0 weighed 175 or less (6 out of 269)

I definitely agree with you and @OriginalCanesCanesCanes that Pope can be a really good college WR at 170 lbs.

But I also agree with @SouthernM that Pope at 170 lbs at his height is a very valid concern. It's rarely successful because it rarely even exists.

Advertisement
If you shaved Pope down to 5-11 it doesn't make a difference. It's still a very rare body type in football.

I definitely agree with you and @OriginalCanesCanesCanes that Pope can be a really good college WR at 170 lbs.

But I also agree with @SouthernM that Pope at 170 lbs at his height is a very valid concern. It's rarely successful because it rarely even exists.
We ain’t worried about the nfl. Rashad Greene at fsu was a similar size and put up numbers at fsu. And pope is more explosive than him

I'd say there's been way more WR's in the 6-3 220+ range that have hit big than WR's under 6'0" at any weight the last 20 years:

Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Julio Jones
Mike Evans
Demariyus Thomas
Brandon Marshall
Vincent Jackson
Plaxico Burress
DK Metcalf
If Miami has a chance to sign an elite WR like Andre Johnson or any of the elite players you listed above, great. Sign me up. Miami has had a number of WRs with elite size without elite production on the field.

I do think under 6’0 and lightweight can be a liability against physical defenders. The OC, WRs coach, and WRs need to compensate with play design, \ speed, precision routes, and great hands.

Last edited:
You guys aren’t concerned about Nelson being that heavy? His get off was really slow and him gaining more weight in short time can’t be good
Actually surprised he came in (at 350 lbs.) lighter than I expected he would. Not sure I believe that number, to be honest.

He’s a deep threat. He might put up better numbers with an easier offenses to digest but i agree. We have newer wrs who are talented

Agree. He was one **** of a talent coming out of high school, but now he's playing a man's game. People before him have done it, so maybe he can as well. He certainly has the quicks and speed for this level, but my only question is whether his body can hold up.

Advertisement
It said Jarrid Wiliams lost an inch in height? How in the **** do you get shorter😂😂😂😂😂. Unless Houston boosted his height🤷🏾‍♂️
Stronger gravity in South Florida than Houston. Everyone knows that. Reverse Virginia Tech-effect. How do think they got all those world-class 40 times in Blacksburg?

LOL @ anyone who believes for even one minute that what UM puts on its website for players' "official" height/weight is actually their true height and weight. Funny how nearly every **** LB at UM that makes it into the league over the last 15 years magically shrinks 1-2 inches when they step foot in the combine, huh?

LOL at anyone putting Pope is the same sentence as Benjamin, Santana, Roscoe, etc. I get the comparisons but cmon. Take away Pope's 5 stars from HS and what has he shown?

/endpopebashsesh

Agree. He was one **** of a talent coming out of high school, but now he's playing a man's game. People before him have done it, so maybe he can as well. He certainly has the quicks and speed for this level, but my only question is whether his body can hold up.
hes a little clumsy. Honestly, i think people are sleeping on Redding. he might not be a burner but he's hungry as f^&k

Advertisement
OP go tell a guy like Marvin Harrison you can make it at that weight. Dude was listed at 6' 185 but there was no way he was 185. He was rail thin but he was always open.

Pope's issue isn't his weight, it's mental. He should be better in this system.

Advertisement

You guys get too caught up in NFL combines. How many players have we had here completely change their bodies between the end of their final season and the combine? Again, Pope's size will be a total non-factor in what he accomplishes here at UM, which is all I care about.

Nelson up 30 more pounds to 312. Don't care what anyone says, as bad as he was at times last year, that kid showed flashes and still has tremendous potential.

Overall the coaches failed him miserably by throwing him in there when they did. Will be interesting to follow his progression, if any, this season.
I said the same thing about Zion last year. I think by next year he is going to be a stud up there.

Advertisement
Tutu Atwell is 5’10 165 lbs. He still makes plays regardless of weight,

John Campbell got off to a slow start last year. Watch him at the end of the year, he looked like the best Lineman when he got in at LG when Donaldson went down .

Campbell - Nelson
Clark - Traore
Gaynor - Clark
Scaife - Reed
Williams - Herbert?

Nelson May be a swing for both L & R. I can’t get the vision of Herbert playing against Duke out of my mind.

Devonta Smith is and has been 6'1 175 lbs his entire career at Alabama. If Pope lays an egg this season, it won't be because of his weight.

Advertisement
Back