New roster weights

I totally agree with everything you said.

But same question to you I asked @The Franchise

Who are the most dominant 6'1 170 lb WR's at the college level (regardless on NFL performance) you can name outside of the 6-7 that have already been named?

With the caveat that the overall lack of importance I place on size at the WR position puts me at a disadvantage in answering this type of question off the top of my head, and the further caveat that I do not believe Mark Pope is 6'1", I will try to answer...

I obviously knew Devonta Smith off the top of my head (I listed him above), but he's in your list, too. DJ Mathews at f$u isn't all that dominant (and he's under 6'0"), but he's also about 155 lbs so from a body composition standpoint he's probably as thin as Pope. Based on my peripheral knowledge of FIU football, I know North Texas had a tall skinny kid who balled out a couple of seasons ago with a first name like Rico (or Nico?). Guys currently in college and performing at a high level at this specific size other than those listed, that's all I got.

But, again, this is simply off the top of my head, as going through the annals of college football and rosters for guys like this isn't on my to-do list for the afternoon. My inability to list them doesn't mean they don't exist. And, again, I believe all teams lie to a degree with their numbers.

Advertisement
With the caveat that the overall lack of importance I place on size at the WR position puts me at a disadvantage in answering this type of question off the top of my head, and the further caveat that I do not believe Mark Pope is 6'1", I will try to answer...

I obviously knew Devonta Smith off the top of my head (I listed him above), but he's in your list, too. DJ Mathews at f$u isn't all that dominant (and he's under 6'0"), but he's also about 155 lbs so from a body composition standpoint he's probably as thin as Pope. Based on my peripheral knowledge of FIU football, I know North Texas had a tall skinny kid who balled out a couple of seasons ago with a first name like Rico (or Nico?). Guys currently in college and performing at a high level at this specific size other than those listed, that's all I got.

But, again, this is simply off the top of my head, as going through the annals of college football and rosters for guys like this isn't on my to-do list for the afternoon. My inability to list them doesn't mean they don't exist. And, again, I believe all teams lie to a degree with their numbers.

No need to do anything except think of the top of your head here

If I asked you name some good 170 lb WR's over the last 10-20 years - you could probably give me 4-5 off the top of your head pretty quick, right? I could do the same

But when it's 170 lb WR's over 6 foot it's a blank, right? It was definitely a blank for me. No one else is coming up with any either.

Because it rarely happens. If there's statements being made that it happens all the time, but no one can name one, then it doesn't actually happen that much. If it happened all the time it would be easy to do.

1596574379956.png

:2h3mpi1:

Moose gonna get some minutes in 2020? Scrong as an ox but ready?

1596574497623.png

Advertisement
So if Pope is 6 feet and not 5'10 or 5'11, which is what I think he actually is, then is it really that much of a difference? Do you consider a 6' WR a completely different class than the laundry list of 5'10'ish guys with builds similar to Pope who excelled in college? I'd say a 5'10 and 6' WR are pretty much the same when it comes to size classification. Neither is considered a big WR in today's game.

I'm not going to dig through the archives to produce the list, but I've been watching college football forever, and I can assure you the list of 5'10 to 6' WRs with Pope's general body size that have excelled is much longer than the few you just listed.

Are you going to continue quibbling until I just quit and say "you win" because I'm happy to do that if it'll drag me from a vortex of NFL prototype talk that has nothing to do with Pope's light weight affecting his ability to produce at the college level. We're not asking him to block DE's or to carry from the football from the I formation 45 times per game.

If you say these things happen all the time:

- 6' 170 lb WR's dominate college all the time
- Miami players transform their bodies before the NFL Combine

You shouldn't have to dig, you should be able to provide 2 or 3 examples off the top of your head. At least 1.

If Pope is 170 at 5-10 and not 6-1 - then yes, it completely changes the argument. 1 inch is not a big difference, but 3 is. Pope weighing 170 wouldn't be near as much of a concern for me, if at all. But what are you basing Pope being 5-10 off of?

That's like Andre Johnson being listed at 6-5, or Stacy Coley at 6-4, or Santana Moss and Travis Benjamin at 6-1. It would be a bit ridiculous.

What is your example of a Miami player checking in at 3 inches shorter at the combine than what he's listed? When does this ever happen?

No need to do anything except think of the top of your head here

If I asked you name some good 170 lb WR's over the last 10-20 years - you could probably give me 4-5 off the top of your head pretty quick, right? I could do the same

But when it's 170 lb WR's over 6 foot it's a blank, right? It was definitely a blank for me. No one else is coming up with any either.

Because it rarely happens. If there's statements being made that it happens all the time, but no one can name one, then it doesn't actually happen that much. If it happened all the time it would be easy to do.
Again, what’s the magic cut off with a guy who might be an inch shorter than Pope but still of the same slender body type? How about T. Y. Hilton and Antonio Brown? Interestingly, two South Florida kids who didn’t check the size queen box of our former staffs like Tutu didn’t.

Again, what’s the magic cut off with a guy who might be an inch shorter than Pope but still of the same slender body type? How about T. Y. Hilton and Antonio Brown? Interestingly, two South Florida kids who didn’t check the size queen box of our former staffs like Tutu didn’t.
You're still not even in the same ballpark for a guy listed at 6-1

Antonio Brown - 5-10, 186
TY Hilton - 5-9, 183
Santana Moss - 5-10, 185

All these guys are similar size

Travis Benjamin - 5-10, 172. I don't consider him to be the a similar size to any of the 3 above
Mark Pope - 6-1, 172. He's even further from the 3 above than Benjamin

If you want me to compare Pope to a guy an inch shorter - then don't give me guys 3 to 4 inches shorter & put up 1,000 yds as Freshman.

Again, I don't think there's absolutes, it's definitely possible to be a great college player under these rages, but my rough ranges where I'd have some concerns their weight could effect a WR's performance are:

6-0 and under 180
5-10 and under 170

Now, I've answered your questions...will you answer mine?

What are your height/weight cutoffs where you have concerns? Would you have no concerns with a 6-0, 150 lb WR? At what point would you?
Can you name a 6-0+ 170 lb WR to compare Pope to?
What Miami players completely remade their bodies before the combine?
What Miami players were 3 inches shorter or taller than what they were listed at on the roster?

Last edited:
Travis Benjamin ain’t soft he knows how to reel in the catch take a hit and get back up every time.

Mark Pope has always been small if he was scared of getting hit he wouldn’t have been one of the best WRs in the country his recruiting class.

Advertisement
Greg Rousseau (6’7” 265lbs) and Jalen Phillips (6’5” 266lbs) have to be on the field at the same time.

Has Miami ever had a pair of freaks at DE like this on the team together??... :xvfmlqq:

TY Hilton - 5-9, 183
Santana Moss - 5-10, 185

Travis Benjamin - 5-10, 172. I don't consider him to be the a similar size to any of the 3 above

If you want me to compare Pope to a guy an inch shorter - then don't give me guys 3 to 4 inches shorter & put up 1,000 yds as Freshman.

Again, I don't think there's absolutes, it's definitely possible to be a great college player under these rages, but my rough ranges where I'd have some concerns their weight could effect a WR's performance are:

6-0 and under 180
5-10 and under 170

What are your height/weight cutoffs where you have concerns? Would you have no concerns with a 6-0, 150 lb WR? At what point would you?
What Miami players were 3 inches shorter or taller than what they were listed at on the roster?
Mark Pope ain’t 6’1, but you win. Carry on, boo. Pope is doomed to failure because college WRs can’t succeed at under 180 pounds. You win.

Advertisement
Mark Pope ain’t 6’1, but you win. Carry on, boo. Pope is doomed to failure because college WRs can’t succeed at under 180 pounds. You win.
You aren't this dumb. Why are you being unnecessarily obtuse? No one has said he can't succeed. There is a concern at his specific height (if it really is 6'1) and weight, full stop.

Because of the BEST ones I listed, no one named them outside of Devonta Smith.

And before we even got to 6-1 Devonta Smith, people used these guys as a comparison

5-11 DeSean Jackson
5-10 Travis Benjamin
5-10 Santana Moss
5-8 Sinorice Moss
5-9 Tutu Atwell
6-1 Lamar Thomas - @Tetragrammaton Cane for the win

So if you say "there's been a zillion college WRs who have excelled at 6 feet 170 lbs" - then everyone can only name guys under 6 feet - does it really happen that often?

If there's a zillion - then can you name just 3 6' 170 lb WR's that have excelled (other than the 6-7 we've already named)?
Snoop Minnis and Kez McCorvey at F$U

Tony Martin who played for the Dolphins and a small college

You aren't this dumb. Why are you being unnecessarily obtuse? No one has said he can't succeed. There is a concern at his specific height (if it really is 6'1) and weight, full stop.
So if he can succeed at under 180 pounds what are you guys crying about? Do you just sit around looking for **** to wring your hands over? Is that what smart guys do? Please fill us dumb guys in.

Advertisement

TY Hilton - 5-9, 183
Santana Moss - 5-10, 185

6-0 and under 180
5-10 and under 170

For the record, I wish Pope had more weight on him. But it is what it is.

So if he can succeed at under 180 pounds what are you guys crying about? Do you just sit around looking for **** to wring your hands over? Is that what smart guys do? Please fill us dumb guys in.
Can say the same thing about literally any topic brought up on this board. People bring **** up and it gets discussed. If you want to call it "wringing your hands over it" - then sure I guess that's what everyone does.

Advertisement
Back