New roster weights

Out of curiosity, does anyone know Mark Pope’s height and weight? Skimmed the thread. Didn’t see any mentions.

Advertisement
Out of curiosity, does anyone know Mark Pope’s height and weight? Skimmed the thread. Didn’t see any mentions.
He got narrow shoulders man, he aint putting on no weight.. esp in covid times.. I hear 6'1. I hear 5'10 tho.. Maybe he makes a couple plays

I think I read somewhere 5'3" and 245. Basically shrunk over the offseason to improve his aerodynamics and put on tons of muscle so that he could be a literal pinball after the catch. Pretty impressive stuff if you ask me.

Every offseason this fanbase becomes devoid of objectivity, and by the time the season is complete it is overrun with negativity & toxicity. Wash, rinse, repeat. A 6.1",172 lbs WR going into his JR yr who has had to battle durability issues does not need to get any bigger & stronger. Only on CIS

Mark Pope ain’t 6’1, but you win. Carry on, boo. Pope is doomed to failure because college WRs can’t succeed at under 180 pounds. You win.
Chise - you're one of the best posters here, you know your sh*t, and your posts are f'ing hilarious.

I'm not trying to get you say "you win" or battle with you. If you or anyone say something happens all the time - I expect to see examples and may challenge them on it. But it's just opinions, and I probably come across as a **** too much.

Here's how I see things we've been discussing, and I'll leave it alone unless you want to keep going.

Where we 100% agree

Mark Pope and a ton of other WR's can be great college receivers at 170 lbs (or less).
I've said this over and over, and that I 100% agree with you at least 3 or 4 times now. No one's said anything close to WR's can't succeed under 180 lbs or are "doomed to failure".

This board skews "College Potential" into "NFL Potential" too often. I agree. I'm one of those people. Even when I try not to, I still get caught up.

Where I see both sides

Pope at 170 lbs factors in 0% on his success at Miami.
I wouldn't argue against that. But thinking that Pope only weighing 170 lbs. does have some type of impact on how successful he is at Miami is a completely valid position to take IMO. If someone said it's 100% the main factor holding him back, I'd disagree.

Where we disagree, but I respect your opinion

6'1 170 lb body types are common.
I think even at 5-11+, weighing 175 lbs or less is rare (at any position, on any roster)

5-10 172 lb Travis Benjamin & 5-10 186 lb Antonio Brown are similar body types. I don't think you're wrong, I just don't consider them the same body type, even at the same height. I think 10-15 lbs, or 2-3 inches can make a big difference for skill position players. Height/weight/speed, etc - IMO all that is a sliding scale where everyone has their own cutoffs as to what they'd consider a "similar range".

Pope is 5-10 or 5-11. 6-1 is what he's listed at. IMO every player's height/weight on the roster is generally pretty accurate. So I'm going with 6-1 until given reason otherwise. 6-0 wouldn't surprise me, and wouldn't argue thinking it's probable. 5-11 seems possible, but not probable. 5-10 seems possible, but very unlikely. I just don't remember any Miami player being listed 3 inches over their actual height.

It's common for Miami players to completely change their bodies between the end of their last season and the NFL Combine. I think it happens, but that a "complete change" isn't common. Adding or losing 5 lbs is common, but more than 5 isn't IMO. Dropping body fat, improving 40 times, etc. happens all the time - but we're just talking height/weight here. I think Travis Benjamin may have played at 155-160 his Freshman year, but if he weighed 172 lbs at the combine, then he played at more than 155-160 his Senior year. Adding 12-17 lbs to his frame in 2 months, while possible, doesn't seem very likely to me. Not that it hasn't happened, I just can't think of any Miami player that had made a big change to their body right before the combine.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back