My Post Game recap (Long)

All camp all we heard about Delaney is how physical he his. In 2 games I dont think hes touched a player on the line

Advertisement
I love how cats get mad bc im pointing out that:

A) we have given up 800 yards in two games to second division teams and
B) Manny Diaz has a widely recognized history of fielding terrible defenses

We had an elite defense last year.

It's been two games. Calm down.

Agree with most of your post.

Chad Thomas has not delivered in 2017. He needs to step it up.

Mark Richt scares the **** out of me. His play calling is erratic. It cost us two game last season. Hopefully he gets it together soon.

Need more Rosier designed run plays.

Last edited:
We scored 52 points, had a RB go over 200 yards and all without our best receiver. Our offense is going to be fine.

In fairness, our DB situation is terrible. Wilfork's dumbass claiming that Richt had two recruiting classes is one of the dumber things ive read on this board.

Advertisement
I really feel like the playcalling complaints are a bit overstated. In the first half, we barely even had the ball because most of the defense couldn’t tackle and I’m not sure the secondary could have covered Toledo’s cheerleaders. Not to mention a few dropped passes that would have all been big gains. Then in the second half we basically went full spread and rolled. What’s the problem?

Not trolling or anything, would simply like to hear specifically what was wrong with it. Obviously there was a good argument during that four loss streak, but I didn’t see any huge playcalling issues today.
It looked great against a weak Defense like Toledo, will it be the same vs ACC opponents?

I'm not saying Richt is the worse playcaller ever, but there were stints in the 1st half where the play calling left a lot on the field.

We should've went for it after that 82yd run by Walton, we got down to the 1yd line & couldn't score a TD.

3 bad run plays to the exact same side, should've called a quick slant out of the Gun to Cager or throw a corner fade Langham.

Not that it meant anything in the grand scheme of things, but it was noticeable imo.

I think our Offense is Good, but we have the talent to be Great & to me, it would actually help Richt out a lot if he had an additional playcaller/ another set of eyes to take hold of the Offense.

But the biggest issue without question is the Defense & particularly the Secondary.

Last edited:

Mark Richt scares the **** out of me. His play calling is erratic. It cost us two game last season. Hopefully he gets it together soon.

Need more Rosier designer run plays.

We scored 52 points today

Tulsa scored over 50 points on Toledo last week. Stop acting like that's an impressive number for us.

Great write up and your right the D is our biggest problem right now but the biggest thing you said in my opinion is that Richt needs anOC.

Until he brings one in,and I doubt he will due to His ego,this offense is never going to reach its full potential and that's a shame.

we scored 52 points and averaged 10 yards per play

And if he'd have called the offense worth a sHt in the first half we'd have scored 70.

The offense he called in the first half was terrible.Once he let Rosier throw more than 5 yds downfield it opened things up and we scored 42 in the second half.

And please don't come with the " hes trying to keep his playcalling vanilla" BS....that same vanilla BS cost us 4 games in a row last year.

Advertisement
View attachment 50325

Okay, the Elephant in the room is obvious, the **** Defense has regressed from last year.
I'll hold my L on that one, because I absolutely thought we would be better & play like we did in the 2nd half of the season.
And yes, I crowned Diaz too early, but **** wtf is going on out there?!?

The problem with the defense is the "creativity" of Manny Diaz attack with his zone blitz scheme. We have a fresh pack of DB's out there and it seems like Manny has put a daunting task on the secondary to know exactly where to be at all times. With all the fresh faces there needs to be simplicity.

We need to play more Nickel with a simple 2 deep man scheme. That way it allows the pass rush to get there by playing a tight press. By playing the zone blitz scheme we leave the shallow routes wide open, especially with the DB's playing so off the ball.

I think we are playing a counterintuitive defense to our personnel. By playing a zone scheme we are relying on the DB's to make quick reads on the QB/Ball and react in an efficient manner, however by playing so far off the ball there is a non-existent pass rush allowing for easy hot route reads from the opposing QB.

I thought the anonymous quote in the offseason about Manny Diaz "trying to do too much, gimmicky scheme" was a farce, but it seems to be true. We need to play more 2 deep man and allow the pressure to get there. Also, we have an absurd amount of mass subs going on which creates even further confusion when we are doing so much gimmicky roll action by the safeties.

Just my .02.

Replace Manny with Doritos and your post Seems like a post on the previous regime. Not a good look manny so far

I was thinking the same thing except Dorito made the front 7 think too much and it appears that Manny has shifted that to the back 7.

An elite defense????? LMFAO have you watched Canes football prior to 2016????

Need more Rosier designer run plays.

Chad had a sack today and I pretty sure he had the pressure on the QB on the fumble

I really feel like the playcalling complaints are a bit overstated. In the first half, we barely even had the ball because most of the defense couldn’t tackle and I’m not sure the secondary could have covered Toledo’s cheerleaders. Not to mention a few dropped passes that would have all been big gains. Then in the second half we basically went full spread and rolled. What’s the problem?

Not trolling or anything, would simply like to hear specifically what was wrong with it. Obviously there was a good argument during that four loss streak, but I didn’t see any huge playcalling issues today.
It looked great against a weak Defense like Toledo, will it be the same vs ACC opponents?

I'm not saying Richt is the worse playcaller ever, but there were stints in the 1st half where the play calling left a lot on the field.

We should've went for it after that 82yd run by Walton, we got down to the 1yd line & couldn't score a TD.

3 bad run plays to the exact same side, should've called a quick slant out of the Gun to Cager or throw a corner fade Langham.

Not that it meant anything in the grand scheme of things, but it was noticeable imo.

I think our Offense is Good, but we have the talent to be Great & to me, it would actually help Richt out a lot if he had an additional playcaller/ another set of eyes to take hold of the Offense.
It's the same problem as last year. Richt goes conservative, leaves points on the field, then adjusts to a faster tempo pass heavy game plan. It prevents us from really separating and causes games to be closer than they should be. He needs an OC in the worst way.

Advertisement
richt seems to shift in and out of rhythm as a playcaller in a way that is frustrating. we also averaged 10 yards per play today and it's pretty much impossible to do better than that over the course of a full game.

Probably should have called a pass on one of those plays at the goal line, but I also thought Homer showed really bad vision on a couple of those. Nobody to the outside and he ran into the back of the line, whereas if Walton had been in, bounce it outside for an easy TD. Again though, I agree we probably should have thrown it, but if I were Richt I probably would have thought there was no way they stop the run either.

We’ll just have to see if we have success against better defenses, no telling right now. Still though, what we saw today was far from the awful I-formation Richt often insisted upon earlier last season. He has adjusted which is a great sign IMO.

I agree 100% op....Our biggest issues are Coach Diaz and then the secondary.

In our Secondary... Dee Delaney and Michael Jackson are both terrible. Redwine would've been better than both if he stayed at corner. I'd rather start Malek Young and Trajan Bandy.

Speaking of Sheldrick Redwine he is our best safety, not great but solid with potential. Unfortunately Jaquan Johnson has become a liability up to this point. His lack of athleticism is making him look bad out there especially bc he lacks ideal height. That TD went right over his stretched finger tips...

Any other db would've had a better chance at an INT or deflection, including Young and Bandy. Besjdes that hes just always late and looks lost a lot of the times.

JJ is more of a linebacker / nickel back just not seeing starting caliber safety. Amari Carter is just as much of a liability in coverage maybe even more than JJ. Linebacker is probably his future position which isn't a knock bc he does have potential.

I still think we are good enough to win the coastal and potential acc title bc we have a team that keeps fighting and gets better in the 2nd half

Last edited:
Advertisement
The main problem is Diaz. Everyone who followed football knew he was a terrible hire. Stats don't tell the whole story. We may get sacks a TFLs but 3rd downs have always been Diaz cryptonite. His gimmicky blitz no longer work as you can clearly see. His jig is up and coaches have him figures out. Tackling a problem? Gee I wonder why. Diaz brought that bull**** hawk style technique here. I get that it protects players but you need run through people and wrap up. Shaq was ding that bull**** hawk **** all game long and it cost him 5/6 tackles.

Special teams is still a disaster. MJ got really lucky. But why even get that close knowing it's 4th and 12? That's on coaching to explain this to the unit. Hartley is too ****ing green to coach TEs and ST.

I'm not gonna kill Rumph, but what is he teaching these kids. The technique is terrible.

GET OUT OF BASE DEFENSE MANNY! Put someone in the slot not named JoeJackson/ Trent harris

He always is good year 1. And he usually leaves after the1st year. That 2nd year he got exposed at texas.

That just doesn't make any sense to me - I know it has happened a few times, but why? Maybe if it was teams we played last year that figured out his defense you could use that as a reason, but the 2 teams we played so far did not play us last year and reviewing Miami's tape from last year shouldn't be an excuse since there is plenty of tape of Manny's defense from other teams that teams playing Manny for the first time last year could have been reviewed last year.

I think he is just one of those coaches that needs very specific types of players and if he doesn't have them, he doesn't/can't adjust.

An elite defense????? LMFAO have you watched Canes football prior to 2016????

You've been banned under three other user names.

Do you really have nothing better to do with your time?

Its bc year one he focuses on things that benefit all teams: he keeps things simple, focuses on tackling etc.

Year two he implements his full playbook, which is a steaming pile of garbage. Tons of 3-4, spot drop zone blitz. More focus on his "creative scheme" and less on tackling/run fits/pass rush. A lot of green coaches do this to their own detriment.

btw there's no factual backup for the idae that manny's defenses get exposed in year 2. his second texas defense was fine.

Advertisement
Back