Most Under Appreciated Star in a Canes’ Uni

Nah. Fans were screaming for him to start/play over everyone else in 99/00.

So we just talk about Portis in 2021 like that? Of course we don’t. We don’t even show his highlights here. All we talk about is Gore & McGahee on this board. I don’t care what the talk was back in 1999; the point was players we don’t give just due to, in recent times. We talk about Shockey, we talk about ST26, Reed, Wilfork, Deuce, Johnson, McGahee. ****, we talk about Beard more than Portis.

Advertisement
So we just talk about Portis in 2021 like that? Of course we don’t. We don’t even show his highlights here. All we talk about is Gore & McGahee on this board. I don’t care what the talk was back in 1999; the point was players we don’t give just due to, in recent times. We talk about Shockey, we talk about ST26, Reed, Wilfork, Deuce, Johnson, McGahee. ****, we talk about Beard more than Portis.
Yep, Portis is kind of the forgotten man amongst our running backs from Edge to Gore. I'll admit I wanted McGahee to be the starter over him in 2001. All I heard before the season was this guy McGahee was a beast. Portis must have been the goods to keep McGahee from starting and he didn't disappoint. Portis made me forget about the McGahee talk.

Also, I think if Portis wasn't as successful in the NFL, we would talk about him even less. He wasn't even picked until the 4th round. I certainly didn't think he would have an immediate impact like he did. I viewed him as a scat back and not a feature back. Boy, I was wrong.

"Move work from Denver to DC like Portis" - Jadakiss

Looking at these classic games of THE REAL U, had me thinking who don’t we give enough credit to while being an absolute star donning the Orange & Green.

Imo, imma have to go Clinton P. We always seem to talk about McGahee, Gore, Duke, but I don’t think we truly give Portis his just due. Dude was a str8 beast, and was a bell-cow at slight frame. If he stayed in Denver, brody might have put up 12k+ as a NFL back, too.

But what say u ladies & gents; who do u feel was an under appreciated “star” while here? Again, not role players, but star.
Shaq Quarterman
Everyone complained about him but look at the D after he left

Matt Bosher. I know that may sound crazy because he was on special teams but that dude was a **** good FG kicker as well as punter. When I think of Canes that are under appreciated and don’t get enough recognition I think he is a good candidate!!!

Advertisement
Yep, Portis is kind of the forgotten man amongst our running backs from Edge to Gore. I'll admit I wanted McGahee to be the starter over him in 2001. All I heard before the season was this guy McGahee was a beast. Portis must have been the goods to keep McGahee from starting and he didn't disappoint. Portis made me forget about the McGahee talk.

Also, I think if Portis wasn't as successful in the NFL, we would talk about him even less. He wasn't even picked until the 4th round. I certainly didn't think he would have an immediate impact like he did. I viewed him as a scat back and not a feature back. Boy, I was wrong.
Portis was a second round pick.

Advertisement
Yeah, u’re spot on
@Rellyrell ...again, don't get me wrong...Shaq is an Outstanding kid...That's obvious....Great student from a Great family...but the combination of Lousy LBer coaching, and limited skills were horrible...Now, I do feel Better LBer coaching would've masked Shaq's deficiencies by 10 fold...If I hear one more person say our LBing coaching was adequate, I'll rip my F-ing hair outta my head...

Not to mention....Players out till 4am morning of the game, partying on Bourbon St....No curfew whatsoever....CFB caught up to Erickson's Offense in 1990...(see BYU)...The WORST offense you could possibly run against AAs Curry & Copeland is the one we ran, with a garbage OL....and a sloth foot QB, With absolutely no adjustments...nor an offensive backup plan.....

Truth. Also, people forget that Gino took beatings all year long. Heck, even in 91, that OL scheme had major holes in it but that 91 team (esp at OL) was so good. Gino was getting creamed all 92 season long. Finally caught up to us with bama who had studs on that defense.

Advertisement
Truth. Also, people forget that Gino took beatings all year long. Heck, even in 91, that OL scheme had major holes in it but that 91 team (esp at OL) was so good. Gino was getting creamed all 92 season long. Finally caught up to us with bama who had studs on that defense.
That's because from 89-93 Erickson's recruiting was ***...mainly at OL & QB....How in the name of God, do you go from Walsh..to Erickson..to Torretta..and then Costa??....He knew Bama had the #1 DL in America..with the 2 Best DLmen Curry & Copeland...and March out a Sloth footed QB...with a Garbage OL....and an Offense that left Torretta without a sizeable RB to help with blocking??....and 3/4ths of the time, said RB (Conley etc...) were split out wide at the snap??

That's because from 89-93 Erickson's recruiting was ***...mainly at OL & QB....How in the name of God, do you go from Walsh..to Erickson..to Torretta..and then Costa??....He knew Bama had the #1 DL in America..with the 2 Best DLmen Curry & Copeland...and March out a Sloth footed QB...with a Garbage OL....and an Offense that left Torretta without a sizeable RB to help with blocking??....and 3/4ths of the time, said RB (Conley etc...) were split out wide at the snap??

Looking back at some old 93-94 footage, Costa was brutal! Slow footed, slow release, etc. It was a miracle he started here. He should have been a meddling PSU/UP QB. I'll also add that 91 protection also had issues but we just had so many weapons on offense. Our recruiting on offense also took a turn for the worse. I mean Jonathan friggin harris.

This thread is becoming name your fav player, other than Sean Taylor and Ed Reed.

Chuck Foreman is not getting any love. All-American star RB for the Canes in the early '70's
That's recency bias at play. He was appreciated back then. His senior season was my freshman year at UM. He and Burgess Owens going in the first round was a big deal. Back then, who would have thought that two players from UM would go in the first round!

IIRC, each of his 4 years, Chuck was moved to a different position, RB to WR to DB to RB, or something like that. Makes it even more incredible.

Advertisement
Looking back at some old 93-94 footage, Costa was brutal! Slow footed, slow release, etc. It was a miracle he started here. He should have been a meddling PSU/UP QB. I'll also add that 91 protection also had issues but we just had so many weapons on offense. Our recruiting on offense also took a turn for the worse. I mean Jonathan friggin harris.
Harris & Jones were WIDE open for easy TDs against Nebraska in 95 OB...and Costa blew both....We had NO business losing that game....if our DL was at full strength, (Riley out with ACL...Holmes and Lang banged up)...we win that game regardless of Costa's sorry ***...I'll say it till I'm no longer alive...That was the Best performance (Sapp) by an Interior DLman in UM History...until he succumbed to exhaustion....He threw Frazier around to the point he was benched for Berringer....name ONE single player who caused Frazier to be benched, in his career at Nebraska??....You can't...As much as I idolized Jerome...and Tez....Sapp was the best of the Lot....

Gino even was Destroyed on his 35yd TD Pass to Lamar in the 92 UM vs FSU game...I didn't think he'd get up...Absolutely Annihilated...

Gino even was Destroyed on his 35yd TD Pass to Lamar in the 92 UM vs FSU game...I didn't think he'd get up...Absolutely Annihilated...
Mario “Jesus” Cristobal (Our future savior and the Second Coming of the Messiah) was manhandled in that game. They had to put Zeb Lubinsky in who was OK but slow out of his stance because Gino didn’t bark out signals in Russian after he first did them in English.

Advertisement
Back