Most Under Appreciated Star in a Canes’ Uni

Matt Bosher
Every time I hear his name, I have to shake my head in disgust. Not because anything about Bosher. Great player. Loved him as a player. He was the team MVP in 2008 and rightfully so. When I hear his name, I am reminded that it seemed like he had to make every tackle on kickoff coverage and punt return coverage because those two units were such an abortion of special teams units. Who was in charge of that fiasco?

Advertisement
Imagine Duke Johnson surrounded by NFL talent.
Duke played with multiple NFL players on the offensive line and at receiver/tight end. Even Stephen Morris was in the league for a while. Offensive talent wasn’t the issue during Duke’s years here. Almost every starter from the 2013 offense played in the NFL for at least a short period.

I'm still ****ed till this day, that he was shorted (by atleast half a yd) on the run that would have effectively Won the Penn St game in 99....I never saw Butch that mad...he had to be restrained by the coachs....
There it is at 310:52.
You see his helmet and ball over the line, past 52's left arm.

Side note:
When we got the ball back to start that drive on Reed's INT., we got an unsportsmanlike flag on...guess who?
I thought you'd like this quote by the announcer...
"Webster absolutely crucified one of the Penn State players"

Side note:
When we got the ball back to start that drive on Reed's INT., we got an unsportsmanlike flag on...guess who?

Easily a 1st down...As I said...I was livid....Butch almost had an aneurysm

Advertisement

Side note:

Another thing....on the Chafee Field TD Pass....Schiano called a LBer Blitz...Morgan hit the QB just as he released it.....

Appreciate ur honesty on this!!

Listen, trophy case & bias aside, he won b/c we were the hottest team in America! Dude had pedestrian stats, low key. He had 3000 Yrds passing on 19 TD & 4 ints w/ his completion % being pretty meh.

Faulk, that same season, put up dang near 2200 APY & 24 TDs!! Faulk definitely should’ve won. If he played on a ND, USC, Oklahoma, Bama, etc. type team w/ those stats, hands down he wins.

Gino got Miami love; Iirc, we were on like a 28 or 29 game winning streak at that time, til Bama ended that chit & exposed Toretta butt *** naked. Smh. That game still hurts me.
Alabama exposed Dennis' weakness. He did no special game planning, instead saying something to the effect if we're gonna do what got us here. All season, the O line/run game had been the weak point and Gino's arm and receivers made up for it. Dennis had said our passing game will open up the run. All Bama had to do was put 8 men in the box. It was constant pressure.

Alabama exposed Dennis' weakness. He did no special game planning, instead saying something to the effect if we're gonna do what got us here. All season, the O line/run game had been the weak point and Gino's arm and receivers made up for it. Dennis had said our passing game will open up the run. All Bama had to do was put 8 men in the box. It was constant pressure.
Not to mention....Players out till 4am morning of the game, partying on Bourbon St....No curfew whatsoever....CFB caught up to Erickson's Offense in 1990...(see BYU)...The WORST offense you could possibly run against AAs Curry & Copeland is the one we ran, with a garbage OL....and a sloth foot QB, With absolutely no adjustments...nor an offensive backup plan.....

Looking at these classic games of THE REAL U, had me thinking who don’t we give enough credit to while being an absolute star donning the Orange & Green.

Imo, imma have to go Clinton P. We always seem to talk about McGahee, Gore, Duke, but I don’t think we truly give Portis his just due. Dude was a str8 beast, and was a bell-cow at slight frame. If he stayed in Denver, brody might have put up 12k+ as a NFL back, too.

But what say u ladies & gents; who do u feel was an under appreciated “star” while here? Again, not role players, but star.
Nah. Fans were screaming for him to start/play over everyone else in 99/00.

Advertisement
Sean Spence and as crazy as this might seem .. Denzel Perryman. Maaaan what I would do to have a player like either one on the team now.
Can't agree with that either. Spence and Denzel were very much appreciated here. We couldn't help but.. at times they were the only **** ones making tackles.

Can't agree with that either. Spence and Denzel were very much appreciated here. We couldn't help but.. at times they were the only **** ones making tackles.
Lol well I guess I personally didn't appreciate them enough. I guess I figured good LB play was STANDARD.

Advertisement
We never saw Frank Gore really get on the scene without knee injuries.

He was ahead of McGahee on the depth chart in 2002 and got hurt. And we all knew what McGahee did afterwards.

We never saw Frank Gore really get on the scene without knee injuries.

He was ahead of McGahee on the depth chart in 2002 and got hurt. And we all knew what McGahee did afterwards.
He was named the starter summer of 02...then was hurt a few weeks later...

If I remember right I always thought that if he came back for another year we wouldn't of lost to Washington
He would have helped but there were breakdowns everywhere. All our DEs were hurt and we had start Jevon Rhodes who was basically scout team material and I think maybe Lavar Scott on the other side. Dan Morgan played with a concussion from the week prior (would have missed weeks in this day and age) and Santana had a bum angle. Couple that with Butch and Coker calling a really bad/scared game plan and zebras laughably offering some home cooking and... Recipe for a garbage afternoon.

Advertisement
He would have helped but there were breakdowns everywhere. All our DEs were hurt and we had start Jevon Rhodes who was basically scout team material and I think maybe Lavar Scott on the other side. Dan Morgan played with a concussion from the week prior (would have missed weeks in this day and age) and Santana had a bum angle. Couple that with Butch and Coker calling a really bad/scared game plan and zebras laughably offering some home cooking and... Recipe for a garbage afternoon.
Portis's Fumble killed us...

Looking at these classic games of THE REAL U, had me thinking who don’t we give enough credit to while being an absolute star donning the Orange & Green.

Imo, imma have to go Clinton P. We always seem to talk about McGahee, Gore, Duke, but I don’t think we truly give Portis his just due. Dude was a str8 beast, and was a bell-cow at slight frame. If he stayed in Denver, brody might have put up 12k+ as a NFL back, too.

But what say u ladies & gents; who do u feel was an under appreciated “star” while here? Again, not role players, but star.
hence .. my avatar!

Ken Dorsey! Some people here would have you believe that anyone with a pulse at QB could've done what he did, which is straight up BS! Did Kenny Kelly do what he did? Did Brock? Both had very similar talent around them and none of them got close. And both were highly touted QBs coming out of high school. GO CANES!!!

True but Kenny Kelly and Brock were ahead of their times. They should have played in the spread.

Watching highlights of Dorsey climbing the pocket and evading pressure shows how much of a lost art under center drop back passing is. He made many incredible plays and could navigate the pocket way better than many people understand.

I still stand by my belief that he could have been a pro bowler if drafted by a better team. Those 49er teams were horrendous. He and guys like Carr in Houston helped teach the NFL to stop throwing young quarterbacks to the wolves on terrible teams and destroying their potential.

Yes, Spence was appreciated here, but not to the levels of guys like Lewis, Morgan, Vilma, Beason. That's why I think he's our most under appreciated star. He was insane good. His instincts and football IQ were up there with those other 4 I just listed above. He didn't have the physical attributes those guys had, but he performed at a very high level every game. By far our best defensive player the 4 years he was here.

I think majority of us separate him from the rest of the MNW crew that never lived up to the hype. Sean met or exceeded my expectations. I mean, nobody really bad mouths Sean or says he wasn't any good, but nobody talks about him like they do our other linebackers.

Advertisement
Back