Most Under Appreciated Star in a Canes’ Uni

Mario “Jesus” Cristobal (Our future savior and the Second Coming of the Messiah) was manhandled in that game. They had to put Zeb Lubinsky in who was OK but slow out of his stance because Gino didn’t bark out signals in Russian after he first did them in English.
@TheMatador ....100% correct...and to be perfectly Honest...If not for Bowden completely misusing the Game Clock in 91 & 92...we lose both...and I was at both...

Advertisement
Absolutely — my argument is Morgan and Smith were both overshadowed for their college accomplishments by other canes linebackers who had longer pro careers
Morgan’s performance in that one SuperBowl had to be one of the greatest ever. What did he have, something like 18 tackles?

One of the greatest ever.

I hadn’t seen seen such a dominating performance by a LB since Bob “Chico” Frankel had 22 tackles for Miami Beach High in that epic 1963 matchup with Miami Military Academy.

@TheMatador ....100% correct...and to be perfectly Honest...If not for Bowden completely misusing the Game Clock in 91 & 92...we lose both...and I was at both...
Actually, it was not the FSU game—it was the Bama game in the Sugar Bowl.

My bad....but I’m around 93 years old, give or take a decade.

So, I was right anyway?

Yep, Portis is kind of the forgotten man amongst our running backs from Edge to Gore. I'll admit I wanted McGahee to be the starter over him in 2001. All I heard before the season was this guy McGahee was a beast. Portis must have been the goods to keep McGahee from starting and he didn't disappoint. Portis made me forget about the McGahee talk.

Also, I think if Portis wasn't as successful in the NFL, we would talk about him even less. He wasn't even picked until the 4th round. I certainly didn't think he would have an immediate impact like he did. I viewed him as a scat back and not a feature back. Boy, I was wrong.
James Jackson was more under appreciated than portis

Advertisement
Harris & Jones were WIDE open for easy TDs against Nebraska in 95 OB...and Costa blew both....We had NO business losing that game....if our DL was at full strength, (Riley out with ACL...Holmes and Lang banged up)...we win that game regardless of Costa's sorry ***...I'll say it till I'm no longer alive...That was the Best performance (Sapp) by an Interior DLman in UM History...until he succumbed to exhaustion....He threw Frazier around to the point he was benched for Berringer....name ONE single player who caused Frazier to be benched, in his career at Nebraska??....You can't...As much as I idolized Jerome...and Tez....Sapp was the best of the Lot....
I remember Sapp picking up (horse collaring) Lawrence Phillips and slinging him to ground. With one hand. And Phillips was no scatback.

Advertisement
Sapp was an absolute monster here! Man, to go from all the great interior linemen we’ve had to what we’ve produced now?? It’s truly mind boggling.
Yes, agreed. We haven’t had a great DT since Vince. Some capable players, some okay players, no dominating players. Not even Willis.

Advertisement
?? Pretty sure his career went South once Butch got there. At one time looked like he was going to be one of our greats but i think injuries derailed his career.
Got in Butch's Doghouse....I speak to him every so often....Still caused the Loudest Moment in OB History (Canes or Dolphins)....Never heard a noise like that in my life in the OB...

Advertisement
Although he probably doesn't qualify as a star, I think one of the most underrated talents at the U was Jason Geathers. There was a great interview with Santana Moss where he mentioned how Geathers was so good/athletic that the coaches kept moving him around whenever a hole popped up, hence why he never developed at a particular position.

Mario “Jesus” Cristobal (Our future savior and the Second Coming of the Messiah) was manhandled in that game. They had to put Zeb Lubinsky in who was OK but slow out of his stance because Gino didn’t bark out signals in Russian after he first did them in English.

I'll also add - going back to 94...You realize how bad our OL was when the starting unit for FSU game in 94 was when we fielded: Zev, Symonette, KC, JIna and House of Pain (Perry). Brutal.

Advertisement
Back