Most Under Appreciated Star in a Canes’ Uni

Although he probably doesn't qualify as a star, I think one of the most underrated talents at the U was Jason Geathers. There was a great interview with Santana Moss where he mentioned how Geathers was so good/athletic that the coaches kept moving him around whenever a hole popped up, hence why he never developed at a particular position.

Jason was our Swiss Army knife. He was DeeJay before DeeJay, but like u said, he wasn’t a star, per say. But man was he really good & efficient for what was asked of him.

Advertisement
I'll also add - going back to 94...You realize how bad our OL was when the starting unit for FSU game in 94 was when we fielded: Zev, Symonette, KC, JIna and House of Pain (Perry). Brutal.
Jesus H Christ Erickson....instead of recruiting an OL and QB...This MFer was doing Shots at Hecht...

true story - buddy of mine’s sister was dating Bryce for some time. She was there when Bryce on many occasions practically carried his dad into the house bc he was so sh1tfaced. Probably at fox’s.
JJ should get credit for both NCs....It was because of his evaluations that they were even possible....Best thing about Erickson's days was Sonny Lubick....With what JJ left him...it wasn't tantamount to install that type of offense....Not with a Lubick Defense Wrecking Havoc....

JJ should get credit for both NCs....It was because of his evaluations that they were even possible....Best thing about Erickson's days was Sonny Lubick....With what JJ left him...it wasn't tantamount to install that type of offense....Not with a Lubick Defense Wrecking Havoc....

yep. I still maintain that the 89 recruiting class (JJ’s last) was the best ever (better than the 01 class).

Advertisement
The players we have had here is insane! During Covid, my brothers, dad, and I did a cane draft to see who could come up w the best team…not sure any team was the best…they were all amazing.

Al Golden and D onofrio

Everyone needs a laugh

Attachments

• 5ACCB6C8-4082-4ACD-98FC-DDB2C34884A1.gif
    5ACCB6C8-4082-4ACD-98FC-DDB2C34884A1.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Advertisement
Truth. Also, people forget that Gino took beatings all year long. Heck, even in 91, that OL scheme had major holes in it but that 91 team (esp at OL) was so good. Gino was getting creamed all 92 season long. Finally caught up to us with bama who had studs on that defense.
Our offense those 2 years was explosive at times but went through looooong stenches in games of looking completely inept.. Even in games we won easily. Go back and watch some of those games and you'll be shocked at how bad that offense was at times. Again, we forget because defense and STs were so dominant we usually didn't even need the offense to put up a lot of points.

@Rellyrell ...And Faulk had over 100yds against us...although we Won...but c'mon, it was San Diego St....Erickson's no recruiting *** offered him as a DB....Smfh...****, if not Faulk, Garrison Hearst had a Great yr....
Everyone offered Faulk as a DB. Except SDSU.

Had he had the same career at almost any P5 team he would have won the 92 Heisman easily.

Alabama exposed Dennis' weakness. He did no special game planning, instead saying something to the effect if we're gonna do what got us here. All season, the O line/run game had been the weak point and Gino's arm and receivers made up for it. Dennis had said our passing game will open up the run. All Bama had to do was put 8 men in the box. It was constant pressure.
Actually BYU exposed it in 1990...They set the blueprint how to beat Erickson's Offense....

Advertisement
Haven’t browsed every post in this thread, but how about RB James Stewart? I thought he talented, ran well for big back, but maybe wasn’t a fit for Erickson’s offense. Could be wrong. I thought he’d have a solid NFL career but IIRC he broke a leg and never recovered. Then he had some legal problems and spent time in prison.

Advertisement
Any love for Yatil Green? As talented as anyone that’s been through Coral Gables but couldn’t stay healthy (hammies, IIRC). Was still a 1st round pick but season-ending training camp injuries prevented him from playing for two seasons at the Fins. Only played one season, then was cut by the Fins, Jets, and Raiders.

Butch Loved JJ....But never saw eye to eye with Portis....It was Sarge who should get credit for Portis's recruitment...
Portis had some fumbling issues as a freshman and Butch wanted no part of playing him. You’d see him screaming at Solinger when he’d sub Portis into the game.

Advertisement
Back