Most Under Appreciated Star in a Canes’ Uni

Pat Riley would normally have been a star, even at Miami but because he played with Sapp, Kenard Lang and Kenny Holmes, he gets forgotten. Dude was solid at DT and had a nice little NFL run in the mid-late 90’s too.

Advertisement
Pat Riley would normally have been a star, even at Miami but because he played with Sapp, Kenard Lang and Kenny Holmes, he gets forgotten. Dude was solid at DT and had a nice little NFL run in the mid-late 90’s too.
Pat was a Bad Man...that entire DL (when healthy) was Ruthless....That's what I was saying earlier in ref to Ray Lewis and Webster....Ray's DL made it a whole lot easier for LBers, in comparison to Webster's DL....

Haven’t browsed every post in this thread, but how about RB James Stewart? I thought he talented, ran well for big back, but maybe wasn’t a fit for Erickson’s offense. Could be wrong. I thought he’d have a solid NFL career but IIRC he broke a leg and never recovered. Then he had some legal problems and spent time in prison.
Loved him...had a Great game vs FSU in 94....

Advertisement
There are a lot of great names here, but to me, it would be guys who were really good to great players who are never mentioned. Two guys come to mind who haven't already been mentioned, Brian Blades and Twan Russell. Blades was an excellent WR who was overshadowed by Michael Irvin and Russell was a really good LB for us who went on to have a nice career in the NFL.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Looking back at some old 93-94 footage, Costa was brutal! Slow footed, slow release, etc. It was a miracle he started here. He should have been a meddling PSU/UP QB. I'll also add that 91 protection also had issues but we just had so many weapons on offense. Our recruiting on offense also took a turn for the worse. I mean Jonathan friggin harris.
Costa wasn’t good by our standards but that said he was a tough kid. I remember how he took an absolute beating and kept on.

Sapp was an absolute monster here! Man, to go from all the great interior linemen we’ve had to what we’ve produced now?? It’s truly mind boggling.
@Rellyrell ...go to YOUTUBE and Chk out Sapp's UM Highlights, and show me ANY UM DLman in UM History that moved like that....Also...No UM DLman ever manhandled a Double team like Sapp, including Jerome (Who I Loved)....Stubbs was the recipient of most of his Sacks because of Jerome being double teamed....Sapp gave No Fs about being double teamed whatsoever...His Speed for 6'3 270 was unparalleled...and his strength was as ridiculous....as much Flak as people give Sileo...he was very close to Jerome....I asked him who was UMs best interior DLman, and without hesitation said Sapp....Butch also told me the same...again, thats nothing to take away from Jerome..because I have him at 1B.....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Jesus H Christ Who??....The entire Italian section of Philly??
Yep!

In all seriousness, Costa was recruited nationally. He was also named to the Philadelphia All-Decade team for 80s. FWIW. He just wasn’t great by the standards set by his predecessors. 19-3 as starter, but of course the defense should get a lot of the credit.

Advertisement
Butch Loved JJ....But never saw eye to eye with Portis....It was Sarge who should get credit for Portis's recruitment...
Butch's insistence on playing JJ over Portis probably cost us the Washington game in 2000. Go watch Portis' highlights in that game. He was a one man wrecking ball with limited touches. Butch kept putting him on the bench.

Butch's insistence on playing JJ over Portis probably cost us the Washington game in 2000. Go watch Portis' highlights in that game. He was a one man wrecking ball with limited touches. Butch kept putting him on the bench.
His (Portis) fumble cost us the game...

Melvin Bratton sharing the stage will never get him in the conversation as one of Miami's greatest backs but his performance in the the 84 game vs BC and Doug Flutie is one of the top all time performances that does not get talked about because of the Hail Mary throw by Flutie. I put it right up there with Edge James UCLA game.

Interesting article on this subject of overlooked canes.

Advertisement
Back