MLB draft

Advertisement
If I had players who were not running full tilt to 1B, if they had a chance to get on base, they would be sitting, not playing. Too many chances the player fielding the ball or the 1stt baseman might make a mistake. Doesn't matter if it is TBall, LL or at any level. Bad habits need to be corrected.

If I had players who were not running full tilt to 1B, if they had a chance to get on base, they would be sitting, not playing. Too many chances the player fielding the ball or the 1stt baseman might make a mistake. Doesn't matter if it is TBall, LL or at any level. Bad habits need to be corrected.
LOL man, you and I both wish, ain't the way it is. You get that from a rare % after high school even. Really changes for a player the moment your career moves past high school. It is a job then to most and so much thrown at you that little things like that, unless you have some hardcore manager, which in this day and age probably doesn't happen often, half assing is just part of the game now. Look at Machado man, I would have killed that dude by now if I was his manager. That crap wouldn't have flown 20 years ago without major major heat from everybody. All the kids and players now just use the talent only, why everyone roots for the guys like Dustin P and that type of all or nothing player. Throwback to the old school.

It was just that, an excuse. Teams win with freshman all the time. We looked young bc we lacked fundamentals all year. Booting a ground ball is not a freshman mistake. Zamora wasn’t a freshman but he played like a high school freshman. The biggest difference in the high school and the college game is pitching. So why can we hit just fine as freshman, but not field ground balls?

But anyway back to your main point, she doesn’t matter. People are excited bc it’s a talent infusion. The kids everyone is hoping make it to campus are better than kids we already have on the team
Exactly - if you have the talent to hit 300 at the ACC level, you can become a solid defensive player - discipline. Gino has to focus on fundamentals in defense!

Exactly - if you have the talent to hit 300 at the ACC level, you can become a solid defensive player - discipline. Gino has to focus on fundamentals in defense!

It’s not even about becoming a solid defensive player, most of them they already are. Our starting 9 weren’t all recruited just bc they could hit. And I get that we needed to up our offense and focus on that, but you can’t abandon half the game. What happened this year was absurd and can’t happen again.

Advertisement
LOL man, you and I both wish, ain't the way it is. You get that from a rare % after high school even. Really changes for a player the moment your career moves past high school. It is a job then to most and so much thrown at you that little things like that, unless you have some hardcore manager, which in this day and age probably doesn't happen often, half assing is just part of the game now. Look at Machado man, I would have killed that dude by now if I was his manager. That crap wouldn't have flown 20 years ago without major major heat from everybody. All the kids and players now just use the talent only, why everyone roots for the guys like Dustin P and that type of all or nothing player. Throwback to the old school.

Have to agree w HRIKN here - when I saw Zamora jogging to first at the end of that DP ball, I wanted to jump through the screen. Rivera didn't do it on that pop up he turned into a double, Lala doesn't do it, etc. If the defense knows you can run and that you hustle every time, it often turns a FC or DP into an error. Nobody is above the team, and it's not like he was playing with a leg injury or some other legitimate excuse.

If Lala is Gino's type of player, I have to imagine the coach/player talks with Zamora are uncomfortable at best.

I had two scouts tell me during the FSU series that no program teaches the fundamentals better than Miami. They said that part of the team's regression occurred because Miami needed to devote more of their "practice time" to batting, since that was their weakness at the time. Di Mare corrected for that.

The scouts said that "Miami has been trying to no avail with Zamora". They also said his hesitancy to throw stems practically from Little League.... It was not a problem until college, where batters scout him and run full speed to first. He better improve next year, or it will cost him. They claim that it will be much worse in the Minor Leagues.

Disagree on the it costing him, at least too much. Fangraphs just updated their 2020 draft board, Zamora is #19. And he's also in the PG Top 100. **** the Mets just took a kid in the top 15 who has no real position in the field.

A MLB team will draft him in the 1st 2 rounds for his bat and athleticism. He wont be a SS at the next level, my guess is he moves to OF.

Last edited:
How is this for irony then. 40 rounds times 30 teams and out of 1200 players drafted hardly any of our recruits got drafted. Are MLB scouts that wrong? Did they not see how talented our recruits were? Yes, we get to sign enough players to restock our roster. But, as another poster has remarked, our team lacked the basic fundamentals. What makes you think our coaching staff will have any luck at correcting the new players, if they could not fix the problem this last season? Whether or not we will be considered a young team next year will depend on how many of the recruits make the starting lineup. Just because you can point to player(s) X and/or player(s) Y being Juniors or Seniors, does not mean you have a balanced roster. Those players may be part time or situational players who are filling out the roster.

Every post of yours makes it clear you know nothing about this sport. We have the #8 ranked recruiting class. Guys getting drafted has as much to do with signability as it talent

Next year is going to be rough for you. You know absolutely zero about the team and have no idea how good they're going to be, so it's going to be tough for you to cope with Miami being one of the best teams in the country again next year.

Last edited:
How much could his signing bonus be? $50,000? Can't be much more than that.
Ignoring seniors getting a few thousand and one high school player getting 200K, most players signing in the 22nd Round last year got 100-125K.

Advertisement
Ignoring seniors getting a few thousand and one high school player getting 200K, most players signing in the 22nd Round last year got 100-125K.

I’d guess he got the free $125,000 as a draft eligible sophomore.

Guys like this taken where he was they’ve already had the conversation before he is even drafted and they know what it costs to sign him. Probably got the “will you take 125k?” spiel and said yup.

I found an article on Hylan Hall from January that I posted in the other current thread regarding the draft and next year's class that mentions him starting out at SS and just recently moving to CF. I would be much pleased if the staff and Hylan consider his old position. Just til we find someone to take that spot (if at all).

Advertisement
Good point, we don't know enough about the injury to speculate. Sorry.

But one could hope! :)

Saw someone on another site mention the injury happened in Districts. So it was very recent. I’m assuming he’ll miss all fall, I just hope he’ll be ready by the time next season rolls around.

Saw someone on another site mention the injury happened in Districts. So it was very recent. I’m assuming he’ll miss all fall, I just hope he’ll be ready by the time next season rolls around.
It'll probably be Mid-Late March with it being an ACL. Which is fine, we have plenty of guys to fill in for that time.

Advertisement
Every post of yours makes it clear you know nothing about this sport. We have the #8 ranked recruiting class. Guys getting drafted has as much to do with signability as it talent

Next year is going to be rough for you. You know absolutely zero about the team and have no idea how good they're going to be, so it's going to be tough for you to cope with Miami being one of the best teams in the country again next year.

Rankings are guesses. Thats why they play the games. Doesn't mean much in any sport. Never rough on me as I just let things unfold as the season rolls along. Do you really think that a MLB club would let a very talented player get away without at least trying to convince him to join them. Money talks and Bullspit walks. Don't you think anyone of those undrafted players would trade places with one of the higher draft picks in a nano second, if they had the chance. If nothing more, than bragging rights. If they don't, then they don't have the confidence in their own talent. Ego is a **** of concept.

Amditis has agreed to terms with Cleveand

Wow, I'm surprised this happened so fast. They drafted 3 catchers ahead of him. But they drafted him out of high school so they already had a solid relationship with him.

Have to agree w HRIKN here - when I saw Zamora jogging to first at the end of that DP ball, I wanted to jump through the screen. Rivera didn't do it on that pop up he turned into a double, Lala doesn't do it, etc. If the defense knows you can run and that you hustle every time, it often turns a FC or DP into an error. Nobody is above the team, and it's not like he was playing with a leg injury or some other legitimate excuse.

If Lala is Gino's type of player, I have to imagine the coach/player talks with Zamora are uncomfortable at best.

I agree.

Someone needs to tell me who our next best option at SS will be for 2020 … I'm not begging for Alex Cora or Bobby Hill, but we have to be able to do better than Zamora. Don't we?

this.

Advertisement
Back