MLB draft

Florida does have City & County taxes, not as high as NY and Cali. Plus, they get around calling additional charges you have to pay by calling them fees, instead of taxes. If you live in a city, you also get double taxed because your tax bill includes both County and City taxes.

Say what? He's talking about income taxes.

Advertisement
I am stating a few things: I follow the Cardinals closely (first writing gig was covering prospects for them as their AA team is here). As such, I follow what they’re doing and they’re essentially out of money after signing a couple of HS kids to over 125k deals after 10th round. The rest of their money is earmarked for Jack Owens, who is a sophomore eligible LHP from Auburn. He’s in the CWS so can’t sign until after. They only have around 350k left to offer and McFarlane isn’t signing for that or he’d have gone way early.

Eskew is EXPECTED to get to campus, but Arizona just had money open up after their 1st rounder had a problem come up on physical and it opened up around a half million for them. With the rest of the excess they have in their pool, they could give Eskew a million if they wanted to. We will sweat that one until we see them spend it elsewhere.

Regardless, the draft went about as well as we could’ve hoped (other than losing Mixon, whom I was a big fan of since I built a Juco baseball model and he was a great projection against righties).

Next year Miami should be EXPECTED to get to Omaha if they stay healthy.
Crazy stuff happens, but a national title is not too lofty for what we have next season.

I am stating a few things: I follow the Cardinals closely (first writing gig was covering prospects for them as their AA team is here). As such, I follow what they’re doing and they’re essentially out of money after signing a couple of HS kids to over 125k deals after 10th round. The rest of their money is earmarked for Jack Owens, who is a sophomore eligible LHP from Auburn. He’s in the CWS so can’t sign until after. They only have around 350k left to offer and McFarlane isn’t signing for that or he’d have gone way early.

Eskew is EXPECTED to get to campus, but Arizona just had money open up after their 1st rounder had a problem come up on physical and it opened up around a half million for them. With the rest of the excess they have in their pool, they could give Eskew a million if they wanted to. We will sweat that one until we see them spend it elsewhere.

Regardless, the draft went about as well as we could’ve hoped (other than losing Mixon, whom I was a big fan of since I built a Juco baseball model and he was a great projection against righties).

Next year Miami should be EXPECTED to get to Omaha if they stay healthy.

Yeah it looks like Arizona will have about $1.5 to 2 million to play with in rounds 11-40. It all comes down to the HS kids they prioritize. They could essentially offer that entire pot to Ealy who was a top 50 to 75 prospect and I would be surprised if he didn't take it. If Eskew's # is reasonable (in the $750,000 range) I think he might be gone. I think we are going to sweat this out until the signing deadline or until they have less than $600,000 in surplus pool left.

Yeah it looks like Arizona will have about $1.5 to 2 million to play with in rounds 11-40. It all comes down to the HS kids they prioritize. They could essentially offer that entire pot to Ealy who was a top 50 to 75 prospect and I would be surprised if he didn't take it. If Eskew's # is reasonable (in the $750,000 range) I think he might be gone. I think we are going to sweat this out until the signing deadline or until they have less than $600,000 in surplus pool left.

Do you expect Henry and Fletcher to sign for material amounts under slot, because I thought they only had about $1.2MM available right now as they have signed all but those two from the first 10 rounds?

Advertisement
Unless they have a Jack Rutledge like ascension, that won't really help their stock.

It's fairly rare for recruits to do that right out of HS. More often they do exactly what Jackson Rutledge did, go to school for a year, not get the playing time they want, go to Juco, then get drafted highly.

I think Ealy has already enrolled at Ole Miss to prepare for football, so, we could definitely still lose Eskew.

Advertisement
It gives them the opportunity to be drafted in 2020, 2021, and 2022 instead of just 2022.
Good point, but there are consequences to that. Unless ur ridiculously talented, execs feel much more at ease taking a guy who's proven against D1 competition. Just look at a guy like Ethan Small. No way that guy gets picked in the first if he didn't dominate the SEC all year. Nothing blows you away except his track record.

Do you expect Henry and Fletcher to sign for material amounts under slot, because I thought they only had about $1.2MM available right now as they have signed all but those two from the first 10 rounds?

You can go up to 5% over your allotted bonus pool, their pool is roughly $18 mill which gives them an additional $900,000 or so. Henry and Fletcher could be below slit value as college juniors but doubt that. But with the news of short receiving $800,000 over slot, that leaves them with $1.2 million or so. I would think they would either have to give Eskew close to all of that or they could use it to sign 3, 4, or 5 of the remaining 10 or so hs seniors they drafted.

Advertisement
Good point, but there are consequences to that. Unless ur ridiculously talented, execs feel much more at ease taking a guy who's proven against D1 competition. Just look at a guy like Ethan Small. No way that guy gets picked in the first if he didn't dominate the SEC all year. Nothing blows you away except his track record.

Look, you don't have to talk me out of it. I'm not trying to decide. All I'm saying is that it is a possibility and that we shouldn't put new freshmen on the roster until they actually show up.

Even then it’s not guaranteed. Wasn’t Michael Montes on campus and never mad it to the spring and played at USF this year?

You can go up to 5% over your allotted bonus pool, their pool is roughly $18 mill which gives them an additional $900,000 or so. Henry and Fletcher could be below slit value as college juniors but doubt that. But with the news of short receiving $800,000 over slot, that leaves them with $1.2 million or so. I would think they would either have to give Eskew close to all of that or they could use it to sign 3, 4, or 5 of the remaining 10 or so hs seniors they drafted.

Got it - forgot about the 5%. Although they would pay a hefty penalty if they use those dollars, no?

Advertisement
Got it - forgot about the 5%. Although they would pay a hefty penalty if they use those dollars, no?
75% tax on overages.

The good news, based on his comments, is that we’ll know by early next week whether he enrolled or not.

Look, you don't have to talk me out of it. I'm not trying to decide. All I'm saying is that it is a possibility and that we shouldn't put new freshmen on the roster until they actually show up.

Unfortunately for the Gator Gnome all our top recruits are enrolling in Summer B. Every one of our recruits has confirmed except Bradbury, Labrador, and Munroe, who arent exactly draft prospects.

Only thing we're waiting on is Eskew's decision, which should come by July 1

Last edited:
Unfortunately for the Gator Gnome all our top recruits are enrolling in Summer B. Every one of our recruits has confirmed except Bradbury, Labrador, and Munroe, who arent exactly draft prospects.

Only thing we're waiting on is Eskew's decision, which should come by July 1

So lame. Keep cheering for second place regional finishes.

Advertisement
Back