MLB draft

Today is the start of Summer B, which is when baseball players usually enroll. Has anyone seen an update on Eskew?

I haven't seen a report that has signed with the DBacks and according to the 247 article a couple weeks ago he was going to make his final decision by July 1.

Advertisement
Today is the start of Summer B, which is when baseball players usually enroll. Has anyone seen an update on Eskew?

I haven't seen a report that has signed with the DBacks and according to the 247 article a couple weeks ago he was going to make his final decision by July 1.

Haven't seen anything either, although Henry hasn't signed yet. Maybe they are counting on under slot money from Henry to be able to up the ante w Eskew. And I would think someone would know if he enrolled for summer session this week - this is probably not good news.

There is a solid chance that Eskew has enrolled, as when you go to your UMiami email account, start a message and type Dylan Eskew's name in the recipient box, there is an option to send to an address with the name Dylan Michael Eskew. So the school has set up a student email account for Eskew, he has either enrolled or is set to. Ditto for McFarlane. Lugo for the record does not have an account set up as he is not coming.

For anyone with a UM email account (alumni or student) this can be a solid trick to use in case of any news surrounding transfers as well to determine if a student-athlete is enrolled.

There is a solid chance that Eskew has enrolled, as when you go to your UMiami email account, start a message and type Dylan Eskew's name in the recipient box, there is an option to send to an address with the name Dylan Michael Eskew. So the school has set up a student email account for Eskew, he has either enrolled or is set to. Ditto for McFarlane. Lugo for the record does not have an account set up as he is not coming.

For anyone with a UM email account (alumni or student) this can be a solid trick to use in case of any news surrounding transfers as well to determine if a student-athlete is enrolled.
6D2F992A-A96D-4725-A6DE-9FA8BB1B78CF.gif

Eskew will be in Miami. Diamondbacks tried to get him out to Arizona to put in a last effort but he didn’t take the trip.

Advertisement
Going of the follow up post, looks like he’s coming to Miami.

From the article: "McFarlane’s decision came to finalization when he enrolled at Miami for summer classes this week"

247 is waiting to get an answer from Labrador, but otherwise they've now confirmed everyone besides Lugo enrolling for Summer B

Advertisement
There is a big difference between landing a good recruiting class and making them into even better players. Lets see what he can do with developing them before we give him a large pat on the back.

There is a big difference between landing a good recruiting class and making them into even better players. Lets see what he can do with developing them before we give him a large pat on the back.

Did you watch any games this year?

There is no other team in the country that generated more production out of their freshman class than UM this year. That is indisputable. An argument can be made that UM has the best collection of Freshman/Sophomores in the country at present........

You should have watched some games this season.

I would be willing to lay serious money down that every UM player next year bats over 0.300 for the season.

Did you watch any games this year?

There is no other team in the country that generated more production out of their freshman class than UM this year. That is indisputable. An argument can be made that UM has the best collection of Freshman/Sophomores in the country at present........

You should have watched some games this season.

I would be willing to lay serious money down that every UM player next year bats over 0.300 for the season.
You're wasting your time debating with that guy.

Advertisement
"Did you watch any games this year?"

Yes. ACC tourney and Regionals. Did I miss something? They were a middle of the bunch team. Its results that count. Next years team might be an improvement over this years team, but until they hit the field and prove it I am not as gung ho as you are about their success.

No, I'll give him well deserved credit for landing an incredible class.

Advertisement
I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves for next year. I personally believe we will contend for Omaha, but I don’t think we will be as dominate as some on here think. We are going to need a few of these freshman arms to contribute in big ways and I think it’ll take time for them to get acclimated. Next year should look more like this year until about halfway through, then I think we will get it going and make a run. I hope I’m wrong and we come out of the gates firing on all cylinders but I just think it’ll take a little time.

I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves for next year. I personally believe we will contend for Omaha, but I don’t think we will be as dominate as some on here think. We are going to need a few of these freshman arms to contribute in big ways and I think it’ll take time for them to get acclimated. Next year should look more like this year until about halfway through, then I think we will get it going and make a run. I hope I’m wrong and we come out of the gates firing on all cylinders but I just think it’ll take a little time.

That's a fair concern. Our bullpen is going to be heavy on freshman arms, and we'll need at least a few of them, not just Eskew, to be reliable options to contend for the ACC and a national seed.

We really started this past year slow though, so I'd be disappointed if we were sitting at 5-7 in the ACC like we were this season. Our veteran lineup and what should be excellent starting pitching should be able to get us off to a better start in 2020.

Should be interesting to see how the final roster shakes out, and especially how many pitchers we keep. We only lost 4 guys from 2019 to the draft, plus Escala & Mantilla. And then we have 13 freshmen + 1 JUCO (at least) incoming. Since we usually keep a 32-man roster, there are going to have to be several more departures.

That's a fair concern. Our bullpen is going to be heavy on freshman arms, and we'll need at least a few of them, not just Eskew, to be reliable options to contend for the ACC and a national seed.

We really started this past year slow though, so I'd be disappointed if we were sitting at 5-7 in the ACC like we were this season. Our veteran lineup and what should be excellent starting pitching should be able to get us off to a better start in 2020.

Should be interesting to see how the final roster shakes out, and especially how many pitchers we keep. We only lost 4 guys from 2019 to the draft, plus Escala & Mantilla. And then we have 13 freshmen + 1 JUCO (at least) incoming. Since we usually keep a 32-man roster, there are going to have to be several more departures.

If we see a start like that in ACC play, folks will be calling for Gino’s job. I’m interested to see how the rotation looks come spring and who is in Long relief vs Midweek. It should be a fun year

These are fair concerns.

I think that having Cicconi, McMahon and Van Belle back ameliorates many of these concerns. Eskew and McFarlane should easily be able to provide 2-3 strong innings per game; considering that they should be buttressed by elite batting. We have Federman back for a third year and still have 3-5 other serviceable pitchers as well.

Am expecting a top-10 team and 2-3 series losses for the year.

The past three teams improved markedly during the course of the season, so I expect that to continue.....

I think the key is having McMahon available for the post-season. He missed a plethora of games the past two seasons and also suffered a serious injury his last year in high-school.

Advertisement
Back