MLB draft

It was just that, an excuse. Teams win with freshman all the time. We looked young bc we lacked fundamentals all year. Booting a ground ball is not a freshman mistake. Zamora wasn’t a freshman but he played like a high school freshman. The biggest difference in the high school and the college game is pitching. So why can we hit just fine as freshman, but not field ground balls?

But anyway back to your main point, she doesn’t matter. People are excited bc it’s a talent infusion. The kids everyone is hoping make it to campus are better than kids we already have on the team

this.

Advertisement
Let's hope the sophomore jinx doesn't hit this year's freshmen and we avoid injuries next year. If so, this roster should have no problem scoring runs.
More worried abt it hitting the rising Juniors. Sometimes the draft gets in their head and they start pressuring themselves. Just look at Will Holland on Auburn. But yeah, same thing applies to everyone.

Jacob Heyward
Di Mare said it in his final press conference. We were the only team without any seniors.

If Van Belle returns, and both of the drafted freshman pitchers enroll, our pitching should be comparable to our batting. We will have a top-5 batting order at worst, unless there is marked regression.

The majority of the woeful 2017 team batted well when they had Abreu, Collins and the other stellar junior (whose name escapes me) in the line-up. They will have 9 players batting over 0.300 next year.

It was just that, an excuse. Teams win with freshman all the time. We looked young bc we lacked fundamentals all year. Booting a ground ball is not a freshman mistake. Zamora wasn’t a freshman but he played like a high school freshman. The biggest difference in the high school and the college game is pitching. So why can we hit just fine as freshman, but not field ground balls?

But anyway back to your main point, she doesn’t matter. People are excited bc it’s a talent infusion. The kids everyone is hoping make it to campus are better than kids we already have on the team
It's different when literally EVERY position is a Freshman/Sophomore. Usually even the youngest teams have multiple Senior leaders. We didn't have that.

Advertisement
Amditis has agreed to terms with Cleveand

Good luck to the kid. Had an underwhelming year but catchers are always doing the dirty work and he stayed pretty consistent. I think he will be replaced nicely.

Good luck to the kid. Had an underwhelming year but catchers are always doing the dirty work and he stayed pretty consistent. I think he will be replaced nicely.
He didnt have an underwhelming year. He started out slowly and got hot pushing his BA over .300 until dropping the last 2 weeks

Understandable (from D1Baseball): “It’s a good feeling to hear my name called,” Amditis said. “With everything that has happened with injuries, I didn’t want to take the risk (of returning to college baseball).”

Advertisement
Understandable (from D1Baseball): “It’s a good feeling to hear my name called,” Amditis said. “With everything that has happened with injuries, I didn’t want to take the risk (of returning to college baseball).”
How much could his signing bonus be? $50,000? Can't be much more than that.

It's different when literally EVERY position is a Freshman/Sophomore. Usually even the youngest teams have multiple Senior leaders. We didn't have that.

You aren’t understanding the point I’m making. We didn’t make many mental mistakes. They were mostly physical. You can blame being young on not being able to handle big moments, which we didn’t in a few cases. That’s fine. But making 3 errors a game wasn’t bc we were young. It was bc Zamora held onto the ball too long or Toral came up on a ground ball. Those aren’t freshman mistakes, they are lack of fundamentals.

Good for Amditis. Can’t blame the kid for wanting to avoid another injury. Get paid when you can. I think we get better defensively bc of this. Del can catch and opens up an outfield spot for somebody who won’t be a liability

Advertisement
You aren’t understanding the point I’m making. We didn’t make many mental mistakes. They were mostly physical. You can blame being young on not being able to handle big moments, which we didn’t in a few cases. That’s fine. But making 3 errors a game wasn’t bc we were young. It was bc Zamora held onto the ball too long or Toral came up on a ground ball. Those aren’t freshman mistakes, they are lack of fundamentals.

I had two scouts tell me during the FSU series that no program teaches the fundamentals better than Miami. They said that part of the team's regression occurred because Miami needed to devote more of their "practice time" to batting, since that was their weakness at the time. Di Mare corrected for that.

The scouts said that "Miami has been trying to no avail with Zamora". They also said his hesitancy to throw stems practically from Little League.... It was not a problem until college, where batters scout him and run full speed to first. He better improve next year, or it will cost him. They claim that it will be much worse in the Minor Leagues.

As Indy said, we were unusually young this year. It was talked about every broadcast - we had 0 seniors and the most underclassmen of any ACC team.

In 2020, we'll have an experienced team and a pretty balanced roster. Nobody will be calling us young next season.

And there's zero irony to fans not wanting to see HS prospects drafted. That's how the process works, for every school. You want your most talented recruits to come to campus. If they are picked in the 1st 10 rounds it's 98% certain they're gone

How is this for irony then. 40 rounds times 30 teams and out of 1200 players drafted hardly any of our recruits got drafted. Are MLB scouts that wrong? Did they not see how talented our recruits were? Yes, we get to sign enough players to restock our roster. But, as another poster has remarked, our team lacked the basic fundamentals. What makes you think our coaching staff will have any luck at correcting the new players, if they could not fix the problem this last season? Whether or not we will be considered a young team next year will depend on how many of the recruits make the starting lineup. Just because you can point to player(s) X and/or player(s) Y being Juniors or Seniors, does not mean you have a balanced roster. Those players may be part time or situational players who are filling out the roster.

I had two scouts tell me during the FSU series that no program teaches the fundamentals better than Miami. They said that part of the team's regression occurred because Miami needed to devote more of their "practice time" to batting, since that was their weakness at the time. Di Mare corrected for that.

The scouts said that "Miami has been trying to no avail with Zamora". They also said his hesitancy to throw stems practically from Little League.... It was not a problem until college, where batters scout him and run full speed to first. He better improve next year, or it will cost him. They claim that it will be much worse in the Minor Leagues.

So you’re saying the team didn’t field as many ground balls, therefore they got worse at it? Thank you for proving my point. The less you practice the more your fundamentals get away from you. I never claimed this staff couldn’t teach fundamentals, I said this team lacked them. In fact if you wanna go back through my post history I made the same point about our practices being 2 hours worth of BP then going home.

I agree that Zamora has issues and it’ll get worse every level he moves up.

Advertisement
How is this for irony then. 40 rounds times 30 teams and out of 1200 players drafted hardly any of our recruits got drafted. Are MLB scouts that wrong? Did they not see how talented our recruits were? Yes, we get to sign enough players to restock our roster. But, as another poster has remarked, our team lacked the basic fundamentals. What makes you think our coaching staff will have any luck at correcting the new players, if they could not fix the problem this last season? Whether or not we will be considered a young team next year will depend on how many of the recruits make the starting lineup. Just because you can point to player(s) X and/or player(s) Y being Juniors or Seniors, does not mean you have a balanced roster. Those players may be part time or situational players who are filling out the roster.

Nobody but the kid and the teams no why they didn’t get drafted or got drafted where they did. Some want big bonuses that lead to them falling bc they aren’t singable. Other kids make it known to the scouts they wanna go to school. Some kids need to develop more before they are drafted in the top 15 rounds.

The mlb draft is the craziest draft in sports. You can’t take things at face value when it comes to it. Too many factors involved that aren’t made public

Too bad we don't have another option at SS then. If he's been doing this since LL, going to be hard to fix that any time soon. Scoring runs should not be an issue next year.

Too bad we don't have another option at SS then. If he's been doing this since LL, going to be hard to fix that any time soon. Scoring runs should not be an issue next year.

They claim that he hesitates prior to making a throw, but the speed of the runners increases at each subsequent level. Opposing teams know this and run full tilt to the base, which exacerbates the problem. After talking to them, I notice it as well. There is a slight hesitation prior to each throw.

They claim that he hesitates prior to making a throw, but the speed of the runners increases at each subsequent level. Opposing teams know this and run full tilt to the base, which exacerbates the problem. After talking to them, I notice it as well. There is a slight hesitation prior to each throw.

What a bunch of crap. College hitters don’t just run full tilt because Zamora is throwing. This is an example of a non-baseball person not knowing enough to realize how absurd the “I talked to scouts” story really is.

Advertisement
Back