Mississippi State

Greeting all, I'm a State fan and figured I'd give my breakdown. Fist off let me say you can go to elitedawgs.com and read the opinions of far more than just me, and I'm by no means our best baseball poster. That said, here's my opinion on our draw:

It's fantastic. 1) the 4 seed is truly terrible so we can throw our #3 starter and should dominate. 2) Small is elite so we feel good about that game, then JT Ginn is a really good #2 starter and Brandon Smith is a decent 4th starter so we feel good that we can win game 3/4. 3) Stanford is as good of a SR match as you can want.

Small is a lefty, but there's not much of a dropoff when he's facing righties. He's a FP pitcher who's consistently 91-93, but he's got a high spin rate which gets lots of high swings, and his release is closer to the plate than most so it seems faster than it is. His curve is good too, but like I say 80% of what he throws is that FB. The thing that really separates him is his timing- sometimes he quick pitches it, sometimes he pauses at the top of his windup for a second or more. Really keeps hitters off balance, but that goes away if you can get men on and make him pitch from the stretch. Small is mentally tough and doesn't walk many so there's not much chance of him having a bad game.

Keys for ya'll (or CMU of course): Small gives out after 6-7 innings so you'll get the chance to score off the bullpen. Our lefty (Barlow) has good stuff but has sucked recently (walks). Our #1 reliever (Leibelt) has sucked his last 3 appearances. So that's where you'll have the chance to score runs, I doubt Small gives up more than 2 in 6 ip. Offensively Mangum, Jordan, and Westburg are slumping for us, and our 3rd best hitter is coming back from injury so who knows if he'll be on or not. Allen is the only guy who I'd call "hot" right now, but the rest of the lineup can do damage as well. We're hitting .316 in SEC play and top to bottom have a solid lineup that's got 2 switch hitters and 2 lefties... HOWEVER sometimes we can be too aggressive and gift pitchers with easy outs and low pitch counts. Defensively our infield is suspect but the outfield is elite.

So if ya'll win, it'll look something like this: Small doesn't have his usual control, can't get quick outs, and can't play with his timing. Gives up 2 runs in 6 but a high pitch count means he can't keep going. Leibelt comes on but on his 2nd innings gets touched, Barlow comes on to relief him but walks a couple and y'all get 2 more runs. On the other side we are way too aggressive at the plate, swing at junk, and make weak contact early in the count. Your starter goes deep, and we can't get enough off the relievers to come back.

To be clear though I think we win with Small out there. Our O is very tough to keep down just because the bottom of the lineup will still hit about .300 on the while, and they work the count better than the top does.

PS, idk what that other State fan was talking about when it comes to the atmosphere. Are we trashy? no. are we going to throw beer at you? No. But we will have 14k+ there and the TV makes it seem like we're just as loud as Baum or the Box gets. If you travel there expect to get lots of free food though, we're not animals

Last edited:
Advertisement
nobody is ever set up for a game 5.

Bullpen:
Colby White - genuine fire-baller
Trysten Barlow - fastball lefthander - hard on lefties.
Jared Liebelt - fastball righty. Long relief
Cole Gordon - dirty curve. He pitched 6 tough innings in the 17 inning job vs LSU.

Then some guys with ++ arms, though somewhat schizophrenic - have pitched really well at times, not so much at others.
Brandon Smith - Could be game 5 guy if it gets there.
Spencer Price
Riley Self
Eric Cerantola = +++ freshman arm
Keegan James
Jack Eagan

This is all off the top of my head. Hailstate.com for stats.

Problems:
Infield Defense - Subject to kicking it around, but good enough, especially behind Small/Ginn/Plumlee.

Right Field - Injury to Elijah McNamee - We hope he is back to at least DH for the regional. Hatcher has been a good replacement at the plate, but is learning to play in right.

The good stuff:

Dustin Skelton behind the plate.
Jake Mangum in CF.

Batting averages:
Mangum .363 Slumped a bit recently, but go ahead and pitch to him with runners on.
Westburg .294 over .300 most of the year, but in a bad slump
Allen .346 HotHotHot
McNamee .303 injured, may or may not play
Skelton .302
Jordan, R. .288 Had a really bad start to the season, but has come on.
Gilbert .330
Hatcher .310 Replaced McNamee in RF when Elijah was injured.

Guys you might see DH
Halter .287
Hancock .326
Jordan, L. .328
Cumbest .286 Also may play in RF.

Oh, and for those who didn't hear the "Whoosh".

DNF is one of the loudest and best environments in college baseball (yea, I've been to the Box and Baum, and all the other SEC venues except MO - Vandy and TN truly suck.).

Back in the day, when the outfield fence was chain link, no doubt DNF was a bit rougher than now. But now.... now Carnegie Hall is the DNF of Music.

That ballpark is arguably the best one in the country at present.

There are certainly worse places to watch a game....

M4iKoZW.jpg

tmvxvr3.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-04-12-at-10.09.44-AM.jpg

Last edited:
nobody is ever set up for a game 5.

Bullpen:
Colby White - genuine fire-baller
Trysten Barlow - fastball lefthander - hard on lefties.
Jared Liebelt - fastball righty. Long relief
Cole Gordon - dirty curve. He pitched 6 tough innings in the 17 inning job vs LSU.

Then some guys with ++ arms, though somewhat schizophrenic - have pitched really well at times, not so much at others.
Brandon Smith - Could be game 5 guy if it gets there.
Spencer Price
Riley Self
Eric Cerantola = +++ freshman arm
Keegan James
Jack Eagan

This is all off the top of my head. Hailstate.com for stats.

Problems:
Infield Defense - Subject to kicking it around, but good enough, especially behind Small/Ginn/Plumlee.

Right Field - Injury to Elijah McNamee - We hope he is back to at least DH for the regional. Hatcher has been a good replacement at the plate, but is learning to play in right.

The good stuff:

Dustin Skelton behind the plate.
Jake Mangum in CF.

Batting averages:
Mangum .363 Slumped a bit recently, but go ahead and pitch to him with runners on.
Westburg .294 over .300 most of the year, but in a bad slump
Allen .346 HotHotHot
McNamee .303 injured, may or may not play
Skelton .302
Jordan, R. .288 Had a really bad start to the season, but has come on.
Gilbert .330
Hatcher .310 Replaced McNamee in RF when Elijah was injured.

Guys you might see DH
Halter .287
Hancock .326
Jordan, L. .328
Cumbest .286 Also may play in RF.

Oh, and for those who didn't hear the "Whoosh".

DNF is one of the loudest and best environments in college baseball (yea, I've been to the Box and Baum, and all the other SEC venues except MO - Vandy and TN truly suck.).

Back in the day, when the outfield fence was chain link, no doubt DNF was a bit rougher than now. But now.... now Carnegie Hall is the DNF of Music.

Your subject to kicking it around the infield? LMAO.

UM

Advertisement
School I played for played at LSU in the late 80's, it was like nothing I had ever seen. It most certainly effected a lot of our guys, me nah, I thought it was awesome. We played in front of 30 people at home games lol.

All I'm gonna say is this is what the University of Miami is all about. We shouldn't fear anybody man. This is freaking Miami, we live for these types of games. Going in and shutting crowds down and living it up in the process. Time to be hated again.

Advertisement
I understand that. Once again I don’t make excuses. I haven’t all year and I’m not starting now. Just hope you have that same sentiment after this weekend, and the same energy to let other people know when they use that excuse.
McMahon is definitely our best shot, as he can go toe to toe with anyone in the country when he is on. My concern is he won't have pitched in two weeks, so, he'll need to have his command early in the count.
I also liked the way Ceconni pitches in the ACC tournament. I think having McMahon and McKendry out benefits the other pitchers. We can rely on Ceconni and Keysor in the post season as well as Mckenndry, McMahon, VanBelle, Federman, and Veliz. That's a solid group of arms.

We need hitting and defense. Pitching should be solid.

All I'm gonna say is this is what the University of Miami is all about. We shouldn't fear anybody man. This is freaking Miami, we live for these types of games. Going in and shutting crowds down and living it up in the process. Time to be hated again.

This is what gets lost in the back and forth on here, between people saying we’re fine and others saying we’re not. No Miami fan here wants to lose.

Advertisement
Greeting all, I'm a State fan and figured I'd give my breakdown. Fist off let me say you can go to elitedawgs.com and read the opinions of far more than just me, and I'm by no means our best baseball poster. That said, here's my opinion on our draw:

It's fantastic. 1) the 4 seed is truly terrible so we can throw our #3 starter and should dominate. 2) Small is elite so we feel good about that game, then JT Ginn is a really good #2 starter and Brandon Smith is a decent 4th starter so we feel good if we can win game 3/4. 3) Stanford is as good of a SR match as you can want.

Small is a lefty, but there's not much of a dropoff when he's facing righties. He's a FP pitcher who's consistently 91-93, but he's got a high spin rate which gets lots of high swings, and his release is closer to the plate than most so it seems faster than it is. His curve is good too, but like I say 80% of what he throws is that FB. The thing that really separates him is his timing- sometimes he quick pitches it, sometimes he pauses at the top of his windup for a second or more. Really keeps hitters off balance, but that goes away if you can get men on and make him pitch from the stretch. Small is mentally tough and doesn't walk many so there's not much chance of him having a bad game.

Keys for ya'll (or CMU of course): 1) Small gives out after 6-7 innings so you'll get the chance to score off the bullpen. Our lefty (Barlow) has good stuff but has sucked recently (walks). Our #1 reliever (Leibelt) has sucked his last 3 appearances. So that's where you'll have the chance to score runs, I doubt Small gives up more than 2 in 6 ip. Offensively Mangum, Jordan, and Westburg are slumping for us, and our 3rd best hitter is coming back from injury so who knows if he'll be on or not. Allen is the only guy who I'd call "hot" right now, but the rest of the lineup can do damage as well. We're hitting .316 in SEC play and top to bottom have a solid lineup that's got 2 switch hitters and 2 lefties... HOWEVER sometimes we can be too aggressive and gift pitchers with easy outs and low pitch counts. Defensively our infield is suspect but the outfield is elite.

So if ya'll win, it'll look something like this: Small doesn't have his usual control, can't get quick outs, and can't play with his timing. Gives up 2 runs in 6 but a high pitch count means he can't keep going. Leibelt comes on but on his 2nd innings gets touched, Barlow comes on to relief him but walks a couple and y'all get 2 more runs. On the other side we are way too aggressive at the plate, swing at junk, and make weak contact early in the count. Your starter goes deep, and we can't get enough off the relievers to come back.

To be clear though I think we win with Small out there. Our O is very tough to keep down just because the bottom of the lineup will still hit about .300 on the while, and they work the count better than the top does.

PS, idk what that other State fan was talking about when it comes to the atmosphere. Are we trashy? no. are we going to throw beer at you? No. But we will have 14k+ there and the TV makes it seem like we're just as loud as Baum or the Box gets. If you travel there expect to get lots of free food though, we're not animals

My fellow ED MSU fan is being a little understated and hard on our team due to our 1-2 finish at the SEC tournament and losing our last regular season game of the year to USC. I mean we only scored 35 runs in the 2 games before that.. we must really suck on offense***

Let's see. First off. yes expect Ethan Small to start against you or CMU. Small is listed as #56 on the top 100 prospect watch for this years draft.
Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50
Small has only given up more than 2 runs once this year. In his worst start of the year (and worst weekend for the whole team) @ Ark..where we got swept. he gave up 2 Er's in his 1st game of the season to Youngstown St (278 RPI), SH State (76), Auburn (19), LSU (16), TN (14), UGA (3), South Carolina (79). His Home ERA in 8 starts - 46 IP, (avg 5 2/3 innings) is 2.15 instead of 1.8. He is also 6-0 at home
Small has 2 loses on the year, the previously mentioned at Ark (3-5) and the lose to Vandy in SEC Tournament (0-1). In his 5 non-decisions, we are 3-2.
Ethan has 150K's through 90IP to go with 24 walks, 7 hbp, and 3 wp.
He does rely on his FB because it has so much movement and he doesn't have to rely on his change / curve as much. Hittes can't lay off when he changes and goes high for the K.

Hitting.

MSU has played 59 games (46-13) and has the 5th best BA at .316.along with the 2nd most doubles at 147.

Jake Mangum - Leadoff switch hitter. Lifetime .361 BA, with 372 base hits, which is 6th most hits in NCAA history.
This year he's JUST batting .363 with 97 hits (which is down 15 points or so after going 4 for 35 over the past 7 games). But I believe he will get back on a roll again to finish his career. Jake doesn't K much. 21 this season, but only 105 on his career with 1,039 AB's.

Mangum, Allen, and Foscue have all hit more than 20 doubles this season. All 3 are above .300 on the season.

The ? Mark. Elijah MacNamee. The character of the team (rally banana) and the guy who hit 3 different walk off HR's in the postseason to keep us alive to a 3rd place finish in OMAHA. Has a foot issue but hopefully will be back for friday..or saturday.

Pitching
Ethan's already been talked about. No need to talk about JT Ginn (All sec FR... #30 MLB draft pick.) and Payton Plumlee
but instead we can focus on the whole staff. 19th best staff ERA at 3.59 compared to yours at 44 and 3.88

Maybe there's another Danny Valencia on this current squad, waiting for his SEC moment (at the other MS state school this time).

I appreciate the input by the state fans & hope they continue to post & banter. I do get the overwhelming feeling that they think the regional is a forgone conclusion. While state is definitely the favorite to think this is all but over is silly. If we get hot at the plate and get some decent pitching we could win the regional. Is it likely.....probably not but it’s definitely possible.

Advertisement
Stop comparing them to other teams we’ve played. MSU is the best team that we will play all year barring a matchup with Vandy or UCLA. They are that good. And the atmospheres at Carolina and Louisville are a joke. That Louisville crowd consisted of 9 people.

This weekend will be nothing like you’ve ever seen. It’s a football crowd at a baseball stadium. Nobody is saying we absolutely can’t win. We’re saying it’ll be harder than most of y’all are leading on. You don’t go 32-5 at home in easily the best conference in the country, by a long shot, unless you are both really good and have a real advantage playing there
I live right in the heart of SEC Country, and let me tell you, those Mississippi State fans are aggressive. This team has not faced a more rowdy fanbase that will trash talk them and do anything in their power to make them so uncomfortable it takes them out of their game. Will be a stiff test, to say the least. And thats not even getting into how good their team is.

Advertisement
Back