Mississippi State

Advertisement
Chances are we will have to beat Miss St 2 out of 3. Winning the 1st game against them is imperative. I don't want to start Keyser and wont have to if only play 3 or 4 games.

Chances are we will have to beat Miss St 2 out of 3. Winning the 1st game against them is imperative. I don't want to start Keyser and wont have to if only play 3 or 4 games.

This is what I was referring to when I said t would be Gino’s ultimate test. You need to win that game but also can’t burn through all your best guys when you are down 5 runs. Gotta know when to play for another day and when to push the right buttons. He’s shown he isn’t very good at that thus far

Miss St ace Ethan Small. Lefty has given up only 48 hits in 80 innings. This is not a good time for Gil and Rivera to be in slumps.

Advertisement
He was saying that Omaha is tougher than Mississippi State.
Definitely not as far as crowd that is for sure. I know people wanted LSU, I didn't for that same reason. While during regionals you see bigger crowds at a lot of places, there are few college parks that are constantly filled. Those places I didn't want, too bad, we got one anyway.

The three best stadiums, and best home field advantages, are South Carolina, Mississippi State and LSU.

Mississippi State's stadium and South Carolina's stadium are similar to North Dakota's hockey stadium. They are in the "middle of nowhere" and closely resemble professional stadiums. When we toured South Carolina's baseball stadium they told us that they opened a dog park in the stadium to attract more fans. Mississippi State and LSU both average 10,000 spectators per game.

Columbia is a metropolitan city compared to Starkville.

These guys owe us. Their 1985 team had 3 players MLB perennial All-Stars:

Homer in ninth keeps Miami alive

Greg Ellena's ninth-inning home run, a game-winner for Miami in the College World Series, came as no surprise to roommate Jon Leake.
"Every time he sleepwalks, he gets one," Leake said, "and he sleepwalked last night."
Ellena's two-run blow over the leftcenter field fence gave Miami a 6-5 victory over Mississippi State before 12,864 in Rosenblatt Stadium. The homer gave the defeat to reliever Bobby Thigpen, who until then was the game's hero by virtue of his grand slam in the sixth.
Ellena, with his third home run of the tournament, balanced the scales for teammates' mistakes.
Ellena's homer ended the season for No. 5 Mississippi State (50-15).
Mississippi State All-America righthander Jeff Brantley, trying to become the seventh collegian ever to win 19 games, took a 5-4 lead into the ninth.
After Brantley walked Leake to open the inning, Mississippi State Coach Ron Polk called Thigpen from right field to relieve. Miami Coach Ron Fraser said he considered having Ellena sacrifice.
Then he told him to hit to right field, because he didn't think the ball could be hit out of the park to left with a 12 mile per hour wind blowing from the north.
Ellena said he had his doubts even after he hit the ball.
"Because of the wind," Ellena said, "I thought the ball would be off the wall. Then I saw the left fielder stop running and the center fielder stop running, and it was time to celebrate."
Second baseman Don Rowland said Ellena's home run "removed a thousand - pound weight from my shoulders." Rowland's error came before Thigpen's grand slam.
And Ellena's homer atoned for what relief pitcher Rick Raether called the "mistake" Thigpen hit out of the park.
In addition to revealing Ellena's nocturnal habits, Leake contributed a sacrifice in the two-run Miami first and a leadoff homer in the fifth.
Ellena talks, too, when he walks in his sleep, Leake said.
"He says, "Pete, did I get 'em?"
"Pete" is Pete Skantzos, his stepfather, who is here from the family's home in Gibsonia, Pa., to watch the tournament.
Ellena, who entered the Miami batting order in midseason, tied the series record for homers in a game with two in the 17-3 trouncing of Stanford in Miami's CWS opener.
"He's my kind of pitcher he throws fastballs," Ellena said of Thigpen. "When he got two strikes, he got one inside."
If Ellena's home run had not pulled out the victory, Rowland said, "the loss would have been mine." Raether was credited with his sixth victory after coming on to relieve senior righthander Alain Patenaude, the starter.
Rowland said he blamed himself was for making a high throw over first baseman Chris Hart's head into the Mississippi State dugout after fielding Dan Van Cleve's grounder in the sixth.
The error let Van Cleve reach second and two subsequent two-out walks brought up Thigpen.
As did Ellena in the ninth, Thigpen greeted a reliever with a home run. The right-handed batter's homer to left field off Raether was his ninth of the year and second grand slam in postseason play.
Rowland's error made three of the four runs scoring on Thigpen's slam unearned.
Miami cashed two unearned runs in the first inning when Calvin James reached base on third baseman John Scott's high throw and Mike Fiore's bunt bounced by Brantley, who was charged with an error.
Leake, a senior third baseman who took a .364 average into the game, sacrificed, and junior catcher Chris Magno grounded a single up the middle to score both runs.
Mississippi State Coach Ron Polk said the errors didn't indicate that the Bulldogs were flat.
"Those were just E-5 and E-1," Polk said, using scorer's language for calling errors on the third baseman and the pitcher, respectively.
"Sometimes they occur at the start of the game, sometimes they occur at the end of the game, and sometimes they occur in the middle of the game. And sometimes they don't occur at all."
Leake made the most of leading off in the fourth, homering off Brantley so far over the 370-foot sign that left fielder Rafael Palmeiro didn't budge after the ball was hit.
That gave Miami a 3-0 lead that stood until the right-handed batting Thigpen homered to left-center.
Mississippi State took a 5-3 lead in the eighth when senior second baseman Gator Thiesen singled, stole second and scored on Palmeiro's line single to left.
Miami rallied within 5-4 in the eighth as Hart tripled off the right field fence and scored on second baseman Thiesen's relay overthrow of third base.
When Leake walked to lead off the ninth, Polk decided Brantley had pitched long enough in a game during which the temperature reached 99 degrees.
"He wanted to stay in," Polk said, "but he was completely drained."
Enter reliever Thigpen. Exit Ellena's home run from the ballpark and the Bulldogs from the College World Series.
Sixth-ranked Miami was the lowestrated club surviving in the tournament.
"Yes," Fraser said, "we think we are a team of destiny."
But there's more to it.
"We don't have the best talent," Fraser said, "but we do have a ballclub that has great chemistry. You get it not only from the nine or 10 who are in the game, but from everybody supporting one another in the dugout."
For the Hurricanes to win two more games and the championship might be a tall order.
"It depends on their starting pitching," Polk said.

The three best stadiums, and best home field advantages, are South Carolina, Mississippi State and LSU.

Mississippi State's stadium and South Carolina's stadium are similar to North Dakota's hockey stadium. They are in the "middle of nowhere" and closely resemble professional stadiums. When we toured South Carolina's baseball stadium they told us that they opened a dog park in the stadium to attract more fans. Mississippi State and LSU both average 10,000 spectators per game.

Greg Ellena's ninth-inning home run, a game-winner for Miami in the College World Series, came as no surprise to roommate Jon Leake.
"Every time he sleepwalks, he gets one," Leake said, "and he sleepwalked last night."
Ellena's two-run blow over the leftcenter field fence gave Miami a 6-5 victory over Mississippi State before 12,864 in Rosenblatt Stadium. The homer gave the defeat to reliever Bobby Thigpen, who until then was the game's hero by virtue of his grand slam in the sixth.
Ellena, with his third home run of the tournament, balanced the scales for teammates' mistakes.
Mississippi State All-America righthander Jeff Brantley, trying to become the seventh collegian ever to win 19 games, took a 5-4 lead into the ninth.
After Brantley walked Leake to open the inning, Mississippi State Coach Ron Polk called Thigpen from right field to relieve. Miami Coach Ron Fraser said he considered having Ellena sacrifice.
Then he told him to hit to right field, because he didn't think the ball could be hit out of the park to left with a 12 mile per hour wind blowing from the north.
"Because of the wind," Ellena said, "I thought the ball would be off the wall. Then I saw the left fielder stop running and the center fielder stop running, and it was time to celebrate."
Second baseman Don Rowland said Ellena's home run "removed a thousand - pound weight from my shoulders." Rowland's error came before Thigpen's grand slam.
And Ellena's homer atoned for what relief pitcher Rick Raether called the "mistake" Thigpen hit out of the park.
In addition to revealing Ellena's nocturnal habits, Leake contributed a sacrifice in the two-run Miami first and a leadoff homer in the fifth.
"Pete" is Pete Skantzos, his stepfather, who is here from the family's home in Gibsonia, Pa., to watch the tournament.
Ellena, who entered the Miami batting order in midseason, tied the series record for homers in a game with two in the 17-3 trouncing of Stanford in Miami's CWS opener.
"He's my kind of pitcher he throws fastballs," Ellena said of Thigpen. "When he got two strikes, he got one inside."
If Ellena's home run had not pulled out the victory, Rowland said, "the loss would have been mine." Raether was credited with his sixth victory after coming on to relieve senior righthander Alain Patenaude, the starter.
Rowland said he blamed himself was for making a high throw over first baseman Chris Hart's head into the Mississippi State dugout after fielding Dan Van Cleve's grounder in the sixth.
The error let Van Cleve reach second and two subsequent two-out walks brought up Thigpen.
As did Ellena in the ninth, Thigpen greeted a reliever with a home run. The right-handed batter's homer to left field off Raether was his ninth of the year and second grand slam in postseason play.
Miami cashed two unearned runs in the first inning when Calvin James reached base on third baseman John Scott's high throw and Mike Fiore's bunt bounced by Brantley, who was charged with an error.
Leake, a senior third baseman who took a .364 average into the game, sacrificed, and junior catcher Chris Magno grounded a single up the middle to score both runs.
Mississippi State Coach Ron Polk said the errors didn't indicate that the Bulldogs were flat.
"Those were just E-5 and E-1," Polk said, using scorer's language for calling errors on the third baseman and the pitcher, respectively.
"Sometimes they occur at the start of the game, sometimes they occur at the end of the game, and sometimes they occur in the middle of the game. And sometimes they don't occur at all."
Leake made the most of leading off in the fourth, homering off Brantley so far over the 370-foot sign that left fielder Rafael Palmeiro didn't budge after the ball was hit.
That gave Miami a 3-0 lead that stood until the right-handed batting Thigpen homered to left-center.
Mississippi State took a 5-3 lead in the eighth when senior second baseman Gator Thiesen singled, stole second and scored on Palmeiro's line single to left.
Miami rallied within 5-4 in the eighth as Hart tripled off the right field fence and scored on second baseman Thiesen's relay overthrow of third base.
When Leake walked to lead off the ninth, Polk decided Brantley had pitched long enough in a game during which the temperature reached 99 degrees.
Enter reliever Thigpen. Exit Ellena's home run from the ballpark and the Bulldogs from the College World Series.
But there's more to it.
"We don't have the best talent," Fraser said, "but we do have a ballclub that has great chemistry. You get it not only from the nine or 10 who are in the game, but from everybody supporting one another in the dugout."
For the Hurricanes to win two more games and the championship might be a tall order.

The SEC featured on that Miss St team has a nice segment on that game. They had 4 or 5 big leaguers on that team and we had none. Really incredible what that Miami team did in that CWS. The real gorilla ball years

Advertisement
Miss St ace Ethan Small. Lefty has given up only 48 hits in 80 innings. This is not a good time for Gil and Rivera to be in slumps.

Only positive in facing Small I can think of is that our guys have seen, and not been completely shut down by a similar lefty in Reid Detmers of Louisville. If we could get 3 runs on Small in 6 IP like we did vs Detmers, we might have a chance with McMahon on the mound

But there's more to it.

I remember that homer like it was yesterday. What a great moment!

Agreed.

Having two pretty easy outs from guys you expect can put the ball into play, is not the way to go into battle against a superior team, ... especially when your team is built upon steady pressure at the plate.

But in reality, after the clusterfck of the past two years, we had a good season. With a roster of so many young players, to finish about the “top 15” is a very good result.

Put it this way, if every team in the country could only play their freshman and sophomores, which ones would be better than us? Not many, i suspect,

Next year, if we stay healthy and the recruiting class holds together, we are looking at a team that could be a super regional host if we can get one more strong starting pitcher to emerge. (either one on our roster, or a new face).

I fully expect Mississippi State will be a top 3 CWS seed by the time they get there. No shame in losing to a much better team.

2019 was a good one.

Last edited:
MSU is probably the best home field advantage in America
Louisville is a national seed. We went there and won. We should have taken 2-3 against them. Could/should of beat UNC in the ACC tournament who won it and is hosting.

We are right there. I don't fear any of these teams except maybe UCLA and Vanderbilt. Even those teams are beatable on any given day.

We just need to bring the bats and play good defense. Our pitching will be fine.

Let them worry about us!!!

Advertisement
Agreed.

Having two pretty easy outs from guys you expect can put the ball into play, is not the way to go into battle against a superior team, ... especially when your team is built upon steady pressure at the plate.

But in reality, after the clusterfck of the past two years, we had a good season. With a roster of so many young players, to finish about the “top 15” is a very good result.

Put it this way, if every team in the country could only play their freshman and sophomores, which ones would be better than us? Not many, i suspect,

Next year, if we stay healthy and the recruiting class holds together, we are looking at a team that could be a super regional host if we can get one more strong starting pitcher to emerge. (either one on our roster, or a new face).

I fully expect Mississippi State will be a top 3 CWS seed by the time they get there. No shame in losing to a much better team.

2019 was a good one.
The reason why I said it wa because they are right handed hitters and our lineups is dominated by left handed hitters.

Advertisement
Agreed.

2019 was a good one.
LMAO. Maybe we shouldnt even show up. Giving up on a series before a pitch has been thrown is hilarious ,

Advertisement
Back