Mississippi State

Advertisement
long-time MSU dawg here.

You guys don't need to be concerned about the atmosphere at DNF.

DNF has been gentrified. It is a kinder and gentler place than it was in the 70's-80's. Sure, there will be a very large crowd, but a nice crowd, not particularly noisy.

No longer do we throw chicken bones and pizza crusts at the outfielders when they come to the fence. We drink our baseball water instead of dumping it on your heads as you lean down to pick up the ball. Instead, we'll feed you between innings if you'll wander out to the left field corner.

Yall will have a great time at the New Dude. Glad to have you there.

We've played in arguably the 2nd best conference in college baseball. It's now the postseason. There are no more freshman. It's time to ball. Win or go home!!!

In another post you just said “young team” again, now you’re telling me that it’s not.

I’m one of the few who hasn’t made excuses for anybody all year so you don’t have to tell me it’s time to ball, I know that. I’m just laying out facts

In another post you just said “young team” again, now you’re telling me that it’s not.

I’m one of the few who hasn’t made excuses for anybody all year so you don’t have to tell me it’s time to ball, I know that. I’m just laying out facts
Yes we're young, but we now have a full regular season for the freshman and 2 years for the sophomores.

Advertisement
Yes we're young, but we now have a full regular season for the freshman and 2 years for the sophomores.

I understand that. Once again I don’t make excuses. I haven’t all year and I’m not starting now. Just hope you have that same sentiment after this weekend, and the same energy to let other people know when they use that excuse.

Only positive in facing Small I can think of is that our guys have seen, and not been completely shut down by a similar lefty in Reid Detmers of Louisville. If we could get 3 runs on Small in 6 IP like we did vs Detmers, we might have a chance with McMahon on the mound

McMahon is definitely our best shot, as he can go toe to toe with anyone in the country when he is on. My concern is he won't have pitched in two weeks, so, he'll need to have his command early in the count.

It was literally raining sideways in Louisville. There was zero home field advantage that weekend. Our fans are in for a shock if they take MSU's atmosphere lightly.

It’s gonna be just like last week isn’t it? Everybody screaming “we’re fine, we’re fine,” and then white knighting for the team and staff when it goes sideways in a hurry. All while demonizing anyone who didn’t say we were gonna sweep through the regional with ease

Advertisement
Miss St ace Ethan Small. Lefty has given up only 48 hits in 80 innings. This is not a good time for Gil and Rivera to be in slumps.

And we'll need Lala and Toral to continue going the opposite way as they have the last few games. I doubt Toral or Del Castillo see many fastballs or breaking balls on the inner half.

long-time MSU dawg here.

DNF has been gentrified. It is a kinder and gentler place than it was in the 70's-80's. Sure, there will be a very large crowd, but a nice crowd, not particularly noisy.

No longer do we throw chicken bones and pizza crusts at the outfielders when they come to the fence. We drink our baseball water instead of dumping it on your heads as you lean down to pick up the ball. Instead, we'll feed you between innings if you'll wander out to the left field corner.

How are MSU fans feeling about the regional? Seems like you guys got a tough draw considering the season you had.

It’s gonna be just like last week isn’t it? Everybody screaming “we’re fine, we’re fine,” and then white knighting for the team and staff when it goes sideways in a hurry. All while demonizing anyone who didn’t say we were gonna sweep through the regional with ease
Nobody was or is screaming. Nobody was demonized. Nobody (that I saw) thought we were going to sweep through the pool with ease.

People did undervalue the importance of the tournament, specifically the UNC outcome. I was one, specifically in the moment, but changed by the time we collapsed. We can have a conversation about these differences without devolving into rhetorical trench warfare.

I’m more interested in hearing a breakdown on the regional and from the MSU poster who’s stopped by than I am about how other posters are lunatics.

long-time MSU dawg here.

Welcome! As others have said, would love to get your take on the region as a whole, as well as any matchup information you have. Thanks for stopping by!

Advertisement
Nobody was or is screaming. Nobody was demonized. Nobody (that I saw) thought we were going to sweep through the pool with ease.

People did undervalue the importance of the tournament, specifically the UNC outcome. I was one, specifically in the moment, but changed by the time we collapsed. We can have a conversation about these differences without devolving into rhetorical trench warfare.

I’m more interested in hearing a breakdown on the regional and from the MSU poster who’s stopped by than I am about how other posters are lunatics.

I don’t think people here can. I made a point last week and was followed around by people who had no idea what they were talking about and told how much I hated Miami bc I was objective.

The main problem I foresee is that MSU arguably possesses the best or second best pitcher in "college ball". Based on his ERA, we will most likely only score a couple of runs, and we do not have an ace that can match that. There is a high relative likelihood that we lose the first game to MSU, and we would then need to win three games in a row to advance.

The key is winning the first game against MSU. Not sure that we can advance if we lose the first game to MSU.

If we lose the first game against MSU, I could see Gino taking a risk and using Keysor in the elimination game, culminating in McKendry pitching the second game against MSU, but who would we pitch against them in the final game? (Maybe Cook..........)

Either way, placing the 17th best team in the country against the 4th best is wholly unfair. If we win, however, we match up great against Stanford....

How are MSU fans feeling about the regional? Seems like you guys got a tough draw considering the season you had.

I like our draw.

We avoided matchup with the best conference in college baseball (SECWest) and the second best conference (SECEast) :) until the CWS.

CMU = a little bit under-the-radar but good, Miami = good, Southern are not mutts. We gotta pick it up from the way we played at end of regular season/SECT, but I like our chances. Small/Ginn have been lights-out, and Plumlee has come on strong.

As far as offense... we struggled a bit to score runs in the SECT, but lets keep in mind who we were playing (Vandy/LSU). When our guys are hitting the ball we're completely deadly - ask UGA and Ole Miss.

BTW, I was being a bit sarcastic about DNF being a kinder, gentler place - though it has been gentrified. It will be crowded, and it will be LOUD.

Advertisement
DNF will be a highly intimidating environment for our young team. UM has not played in front of more than 3,000 spectators the entire season. That ballpark is arguably the best one in the country at present.

Also, traveling from Miami to Starkville is eerie in its own right. UM is literally landing in a cow patty field. There is nothing there. For the team, it will feel like playing on the set of a Mad Max movie. That part of Mississippi is fairly desolate........

I like our draw.

We avoided matchup with the best conference in college baseball (SECWest) and the second best conference (SECEast) :) until the CWS.

CMU = a little bit under-the-radar but good, Miami = good, Southern are not mutts. We gotta pick it up from the way we played at end of regular season/SECT, but I like our chances. Small/Ginn have been lights-out, and Plumlee has come on strong.

As far as offense... we struggled a bit to score runs in the SECT, but lets keep in mind who we were playing (Vandy/LSU). When our guys are hitting the ball we're completely deadly - ask UGA and Ole Miss.

BTW, I was being a bit sarcastic about DNF being a kinder, gentler place - though it has been gentrified. It will be crowded, and it will be LOUD.

I’ve only seen MSU play on Friday and Saturday’s and it’s been during wins. So I haven’t gotten to see too many arms. How many reliable guus do y’all have in the bullpen? Are y’all set up nicely for a game 5?

Advertisement
Back