Miramar beats Aquinas 22-20

Advertisement
This game just goes to show you how great the talent in South Florida is. STA destroyed a national powerhouse last week, but has trouble beating a local team.

There is obviously a ton of talent in SoFla, but if Piper, Taravella, or Skranahan went travelling it wouldn't be so pretty. Miramar is stacked.

@Cole_island: I own Peete !! .. For the last two years when I was on him they threw at him 14 times .. And he only caught 2 on me! #CmonMan

Advertisement
Still disagree with Wildcats that UF would have taken Freebeck before Grier.

You can disagree all you want but you'd still be wrong. Are you implying that the offer wasn't real?

Here's the thing you people don't realize. Offers are extended based off talent, not productivity, so what happened against Miramar is 100% irrelevant.

I watched that game on Hudl, so I had the ability to rewind every play of the game.

#1 - STA's WR's did Freebeck zero favors. They could not separate from Miramar's DB's to save their life. Many times Freebeck just simply didn't have anybody open, period.

#2 - STA's O-line couldn't protect the QB at times.

Again, I watched the game thoroughly. Freebeck threw some darts in that game. There were a few throws in that game where you say "Yeah, now I see why he's a D1 QB."

Now, if someone was a casual fan they wouldn't notice those throws, but anybody who "gets it" would see what UF saw in him. Productivity is overrated on the high school level, colleges don't care about it. Some of our current QB commits ain't doin **** at the high school level right now.

Also, STA's OC doesn't exactly do Freebeck any favors. If you're having trouble protecting the QB then you need to get the ball out of his hands ASAP. None of these long-developing route combinations. Go look at Freebeck's highlight tape from his Junior year and look at his tape from this year. Go look at how quickly he got the ball out of his hands during his Junior year.

Was out there tonight, Wade Freebeck was indecisive and not impressive. Tyrek Cole is the real deal he was shut down against devante Peete. The players who impressed me the most were 2015 miramar running back Alex Anderson and 2014 RB Pittman , kids have serious speed. On another note Anthony moten was a beast inside. This usually isn't said but St Thomas was out coached tonight.

Thanks man. Probably the two best coaching staffs around the last few years. Heck of a battle.

Really?

Both squads are loaded with D1 kids every year. What staff can't look good at these schools? LOL

STA maybe, but Miramar? C'mon man. LOL

This game just goes to show you how great the talent in South Florida is. STA destroyed a national powerhouse last week, but has trouble beating a local team.

St Thomas recruits... Miramar is a local talent. That's why I love when STA loses... Also they scheduled Northwestern knowing they were gonna have a down year, but back in 08' I remember they wanted no part of NW.

Id love to see them play Central or BTW. There known for dodging those teams...

Advertisement

St Thomas recruits... Miramar is a local talent. That's why I love when STA loses... Also they scheduled Northwestern knowing they were gonna have a down year, but back in 08' I remember they wanted no part of NW.

You sure Miramar is a "local talent" and they don't also recruit?

Was out there tonight, Wade Freebeck was indecisive and not impressive. Tyrek Cole is the real deal he was shut down against devante Peete. The players who impressed me the most were 2015 miramar running back Alex Anderson and 2014 RB Pittman , kids have serious speed. On another note Anthony moten was a beast inside. This usually isn't said but St Thomas was out coached tonight.

Thanks man. Probably the two best coaching staffs around the last few years. Heck of a battle.

Really?

Both squads are loaded with D1 kids every year. What staff can't look good at these schools? LOL

Uh oh. Gogeta in 3,2,1.............

wildcat, lol. i was gonna say the same thing. i love when people have no clue what they are talking about.

Really?

Uh oh. Gogeta in 3,2,1.............

Not saying they're a poor coaching staff but I never went into a game against Miramar worrying about their schemes. (was only worried about their players)

When I think Miramar, I don't think "well-coached", I think "superior athletes".

If they had superior coaching they wouldn't have got their *** handed to them against Plant in the state championship game, and they sure as **** wouldn't struggle with us for 3 quarters like they do every year. (since I've been at WHS)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Was at the game last night. Some thoughts:

- Wildcat knows a **** of a lot more about coaching HS football than I do, but I was extremely impressed with Miramar's staff and team discipline. STA usually kills teams that lose gap integrity with huge chunk plays. The Dark Side Defense made them earn every yard. And even though it was a gimmick, the hook-and-ladder call down 10-0 probably saved the game for Miramar. The team tackled well and the DBs showed good technique. It's no surprise that so many of those players are so polished when they arrive at the D-I level. There were some penalties, sure, but it was night and day compared to what I'm used to seeing in Dade County.

- Miramar's undersized defensive line whooped STA's offensive line. Alex Trotman (#11 for Miramar) is a BEAST. No so much as a prospect (he's undersized), but as a HS football player he is one of the best defenders I've seen this year. When he got the game-winning sack, he sprinted straight to the other side of the stadium, said a prayer, and returned to the bench in tears. Guys like that make high school football so enjoyable to watch.

- Cole and Peete battled all night. Cole shadowed him no matter where he lined up, and both guys had their moments (Peete with a back-shoulder fade TD, Cole with a near-INT on a high-point PBU). I wasn't crazy about Peete after the Miami camp, but he's impressed me in pads and has clearly surpassed Corey Holmes as STA's go-to receiver.

-Miramar has a nice stable of backs. Rigby and Pittman are quick guys, and Alex Anderson is a load. Anderson didn't play much until the 2nd half, but he is huge (close to 6'2 and thick) and coordinated.

- Freebeck looks like just a guy. He was under pressure, but he didn't show much aside from good height. Nico Pierre from Coral Reef will be a better college player IMO.

- Even on the road, Miramar does the gameday experience right. Great band, four sets of dancer/cheerleaders, and a lot of chants (DAAAARRK SIIIIIIIIDE). Had a lot of fun out there. Shout out to the mayor of Miramar, Cam Underwood, for the Patriots shirt.

Lol miramar recruits too. Just because they are a public school doesn't mean that they don't recruit

Really?

Maybe you can offer more insight than just "Cmon man LOL". Though that's a strong stance, Miramar has come a long ways the last few years and their coaching staff gets a lot of credit from our own coaching staff. Are they making **** up?

Nevermind. You addressed it in your other post. Of course their talent is top notch and has a lot to do with it, but that never stopped STA from getting the credit.

Advertisement
The only guys that looked like JAGs were STA's WR's. If a defense is playing man coverage it becomes the WR's responsibility to get off and get open. If they can't complete passes against man coverage then that's the fault of the WR's.

To add to that, STA's offensive play-calling shows little creativity. It's a scheme based on simply having more talent than the opposition. It's like Miami's offensive scheme in the early 2000's. Well in typical STA fashion, when the other team had equal talent, they failed to make plays. Miramar's defensive scheme is based on the same thing, having more talent than the offense. 4-3 defense with a ton of man coverage, just like old school Miami Hurricanes defense. STA did nothing to exploit this.

STA's offense vs. Miramar's defense was a battle of talent, nothing more, nothing less. There's little creativity on either side. Turns out that Miramar has more talent on defense than STA has on offense.

Really?

Maybe you can offer more insight than just "Cmon man LOL". Though that's a strong stance, Miramar has come a long ways the last few years and their coaching staff gets a lot of credit from our own coaching staff. Are they making **** up?

Nevermind. You addressed it in your other post. Of course their talent is top notch and has a lot to do with it, but that never stopped STA from getting the credit.

Everything they do, on both sides of the ball, is extremely vanilla. It's all talent-based scheme. No creativity.

Good **** Wildcat. Peete has been hyped up for about two years now interesting you call the receivers JAGs. I think he got a lot of hype based on camp setting though.

I'd bet a significant sum that Corey Holmes and Devante Peete both do a **** of a lot more at the college level than Freebeck.

Advertisement
Back