Miramar beats Aquinas 22-20

This game just goes to show you how great the talent in South Florida is. STA destroyed a national powerhouse last week, but has trouble beating a local team.

St Thomas recruits... Miramar is a local talent. That's why I love when STA loses... Also they scheduled Northwestern knowing they were gonna have a down year, but back in 08' I remember they wanted no part of NW.

Id love to see them play Central or BTW. There known for dodging those teams...

You sure Miramar is a "local talent" and they don't also recruit?

They may get players here and there but it isn't to the level that Aquinas does. I don't think its right but a lot of those kids on Miramar's team live in Miramar

So you think the fall of Carol City and the emergence of Miramar is juts a coincidence?

Advertisement
I'd bet a significant sum that Corey Holmes and Devante Peete both do a **** of a lot more at the college level than Freebeck.

Based on what? They can't get off Miramar's DB's.

Nobody on STA was getting open last night.

That's why I don't understand how you can say Freebeck is a JAG. Did you see him miss any throws that he should've made? Did he miss wide open WR's? Can you actually point to anything specifically that made him look ordinary? No, you can't, cause you don't know what to look for and how to evaluate a player.

I've seen Freebeck three times this year. His arm is average for a college quarterback, he's been poor under pressure, and he's an average athlete at best. I haven't seen anything to show me that he will be anything more than a middling player in college.

As for knowing "what to look for," I'm not a coach. The coaches know more than anyone because they live this. But this board has called plenty of players that the guys "who know what to look for" overlooked. The coaches felt Skai Moore wasn't worth a scholarship, when every amateur who watched him at U-School knew he was a player. LSU thought Bridgewater was a receiver when myself and others were screaming that he was the best passing quarterback in the country.

Nobody has a monopoly on the truth. I think Holmes and Peete are more talented and much better prospects than Freebeck. I base this on seeing them play several times. The good thing about the search function is there is accountability when someone is dead-*** wrong. We'll see who is right.

First off, just so you know, you're not just disagreeing with me here, you're disagreeing with college coaches who offered Freebeck.

Average arm? Dude, SMH. I don't even know what to say about that. That's just...SMH...I don't even know. LOL *shrugs* The kid throws darts. And as far as distance, he can throw around 60 yards consistently.

Funniest thing about your assessment is that you just posted a video of Kaaya looking extra ordinary, praise him, and then come in here and say what you say about Freebeck.

Honestly, show me a "top QB" who's doing anything more or less than Freebeck is. Show me a "better" QB in South Florida and I'll show you a better offense and/or better WR corp.

I just can't believe you are ripping his WR corp when they have better offers then Freebeck. These are the same college coaches you are using as an example against D$

I'm not ripping the WR's but they couldn't get off coverage last night. Period. That's a fact. Show me otherwise.

Maybe that means Miramar's DB's are just studs, but I'm not ripping STA's WR's. Last night they were JAG's on that field though.

Last edited:
This thread contains high levels of hilarity. ESPECIALLY the point where guys said Miramar doesn't have good coaching.

But, I'm chillin'. Feel free to continue sharing your opinions, which you're entitled to.

Show me otherwise and I'll change my opinion.

Shall we rewatch the state championship game against Plant? Maybe we can see some "good coaching" there.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. Maybe running 4-3 'man' every play is good coaching. Maybe having your LB's 2 yards off the ball is good coaching. Maybe running an offense that contains 3 plays is good coaching.

There's ******' 48 guys on Miramar's sidelines with coaching staff shirts on for crying out loud.

This thread contains high levels of hilarity. ESPECIALLY the point where guys said Miramar doesn't have good coaching.

But, I'm chillin'. Feel free to continue sharing your opinions, which you're entitled to.

You're hardly an impartial observer on the matter.

Never claimed to be. Which is why I just said this thread contains hilarity, and all parties are entitled to their own opinions.

I usually ride with Wildcat, but I think you're being overly critical of miramars coaching staff and STA's receivers. Now admittedly, I didn't see corey holmes make a single catch all night(I've always thought he was overrated for the record). But peete was solid and #18 had atleast 5 catches, so there were some plays to be made thru the air. Freebeck's receivers did him no favors with some of those dropped passes, but I wouldn't say the whole receiving core is comprised of JAGs. Also, STAs O-Line got whipped for the entire second half. I would point the finger at them before the receivers.

However, I agree with you on STAs offense lacking creativity. Miramar stayed in their base 4-3 for most of the game. STA did little to exploit any mismatches in their 3 receiver sets to get guys open. You clearly know a lot more about the X's and O's of the game, so I'll fall back

Advertisement

Shall we rewatch the state championship game against Plant? Maybe we can see some "good coaching" there.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. Maybe running 4-3 'man' every play is good coaching. Maybe having your LB's 2 yards off the ball is good coaching. Maybe running an offense that contains 3 plays is good coaching.

There's ****in' 48 guys on Miramar's sidelines with coaching staff shirts on for crying out loud.

1. We fired TY for that type of bad coaching. Adjustments needed to be made, on both sides of the ball, and they weren't. The Plant game was rife with bad coaching. True. Yes. Agreed.

2. We don't run 4-3 man on every play.

3. Most teams can't run on us, so the LB placement has been working FOR THE MOST PART. It does open other things, yes. Tradeoff I'm willing to take.

4. Offense contains more than 3 plays. That's an absolutely asinine statement.

5. Yes, we have a lot of coaches, people who, for the most part, volunteer their time to come in and work with our kids. This is true. We have one of, if not the, largest coaching staffs in Broward County. That does not, however, diminish the fact that those gentlemen are doing a good job coaching our players.

6. If you look at player development, count the number of guys Miramar has put on college teams over Cogdell's 6 years as coach. They didn't get to be that good by themselves.

Argue, yell, curse, call me stupid all you want. I've given pain, simple, reasoned responses to all your points.
Good day.

I usually ride with Wildcat, but I think you're being overly critical of miramars coaching staff and STA's receivers. Now admittedly, I didn't see corey holmes make a single catch all night(I've always thought he was overrated for the record). But peete was solid and #18 had atleast 5 catches, so there were some plays to be made thru the air. Freebeck's receivers did him no favors with some of those dropped passes, but I wouldn't say the whole receiving core is comprised of JAGs. Also, STAs O-Line got whipped for the entire second half. I would point the finger at them before the receivers.

However, I agree with you on STAs offense lacking creativity. Miramar stayed in their base 4-3 for most of the game. STA did little to exploit any mismatches in their 3 receiver sets to get guys open. You clearly know a lot more about the X's and O's of the game, so I'll fall back

Holmes had a few catches. Broke a tackle up the sideline and nearly scored. Saying he didn't have a catch is incorrect.

Miramar played multiple fronts and coverages. We did not stay in 4-3 the whole game. I was on the sideline and heard the calls personally. That statement is false.

Bro, I'm not saying their JAG's in general. Not at all. But last night they were JAG's when compared to the talent they were facing. Nothing wrong with that. That's big boy South FLA football they were playing last night.

Holmes had a few catches. Broke a tackle up the sideline and nearly scored. Saying he didn't have a catch is incorrect.

Miramar played multiple fronts and coverages. We did not stay in 4-3 the whole game. I was on the sideline and heard the calls personally. That statement is false.

I said I didn't see him make a catch. Missed parts of the game for various reasons. So technically what I said was correct

Also, ur telling me that ya'll weren't running a 4-3 for more than half the defensive snaps? That's false. But I don't see how it really matters, ya'll D was lights out after the 1st quarter. I was impressed

Advertisement

There's ****in' 48 guys on Miramar's sidelines with coaching staff shirts on for crying out loud.

1. We fired TY for that type of bad coaching. Adjustments needed to be made, on both sides of the ball, and they weren't. The Plant game was rife with bad coaching. True. Yes. Agreed.

3. Most teams can't run on us, so the LB placement has been working FOR THE MOST PART. It does open other things, yes. Tradeoff I'm willing to take.

5. Yes, we have a lot of coaches, people who, for the most part, volunteer their time to come in and work with our kids. This is true. We have one of, if not the, largest coaching staffs in Broward County. That does not, however, diminish the fact that those gentlemen are doing a good job coaching our players.

6. If you look at player development, count the number of guys Miramar has put on college teams over Cogdell's 6 years as coach. They didn't get to be that good by themselves.

Argue, yell, curse, call me stupid all you want. I've given pain, simple, reasoned responses to all your points.
Good day.

2. Could've fooled me. Been a 4-3 'man' defense ever since I've been at WHS. Maybe things have changed. *shrugs* I'm not there this year so I haven't scouted yall.

3. That LB placement is terrible because it causes your LB's to get caught up in the "wash" if the ball bounces outside. There's a reason NOBODY in football worth a **** lines up their LB's a 2 yards. It also hurts your zone coverage, but if you're playing 'man' every play then it's not an issue. LOL

4. That was sarcasm, but the offense is vanilla and easy to prepare for. Nothing creative about it.

5. You have alot of groupies, not coaches. Majority of them cats are standing around and twiddling their thumbs.

6. You guys put kids in college because they're great athletes, period. These kids aren't getting scholarships because of their high school coaching. I'm not responsible for putting a single kid in D1. Coaches don't create D1 athletes, genetics and hard work do. Hollywood Hill isn't responsible for developing Armbrister the same way Miramar isn't responsible for sending Jermaine Grace to Miami. Grace is at Miami cause he's 6'2" and runs a 4.4 not cause he played at Miramar. Don't give yourself credit for sending a bunch of kids to D1. That's BS. Those kids would be D1 athletes if they played at any school. YOU WANT CREDIT FOR DEVELOPING KIDS THEN SHOW ME A KID WHO ISN'T GIFTED GENETICALLY BUT STILL PRODUCES ON THE FIELD. That is player development. You don't get that much credit for getting productivity out of guys who are gifted athletes. That's easy.

Was out there tonight, Wade Freebeck was indecisive and not impressive. Tyrek Cole is the real deal he was shut down against devante Peete. The players who impressed me the most were 2015 miramar running back Alex Anderson and 2014 RB Pittman , kids have serious speed. On another note Anthony moten was a beast inside. This usually isn't said but St Thomas was out coached tonight.

Thanks man. Probably the two best coaching staffs around the last few years. Heck of a battle.

Really?

Both squads are loaded with D1 kids every year. What staff can't look good at these schools? LOL

STA maybe, but Miramar? C'mon man. LOL

Uh oh. Gogeta in 3,2,1.............

other than a few Carol City area kids.....Miramar is mostly ALL kids from Miramar and Pembroke Pines.

You wont see kids from Cooper City,Ft.Lauderdale, Hollywood out at Miramar like that....its pretty much homegrown...save some Carol City kids every year.

Their probably lower level compared to the B.A'S, and other public schools....

I didnt even go to Miramar..went to a rival school....i just know the talent level in the Miramar area...and its abundant...Miramar Optomist, Pembroke Pines Optomist are some of the best pop warner programs in s.florida...

Good **** Wildcat. Peete has been hyped up for about two years now interesting you call the receivers JAGs. I think he got a lot of hype based on camp setting though.

i brought Devante Peete's name up on this board when i first joined....umm that kid can play...he is a matchup night mare with his height. Games i watch of him in pads he just stood out completely..dont know if he is a camp guy..but in pads every time ive seen him he's caught a td or did work..

This game just goes to show you how great the talent in South Florida is. STA destroyed a national powerhouse last week, but has trouble beating a local team.

St Thomas recruits... Miramar is a local talent. That's why I love when STA loses... Also they scheduled Northwestern knowing they were gonna have a down year, but back in 08' I remember they wanted no part of NW.

Id love to see them play Central or BTW. There known for dodging those teams...

You sure Miramar is a "local talent" and they don't also recruit?

They may get players here and there but it isn't to the level that Aquinas does. I don't think its right but a lot of those kids on Miramar's team live in Miramar

So you think the fall of Carol City and the emergence of Miramar is juts a coincidence?

Its more than just Miramar responsible for that.....since Carol City started its decline.......Miramar AND Norland have won state chips...add to it having Dalvin Cooks of the world going to Miami Central.

* Freebeck is AVG in every way....i dont knw why my boy is CAPING for him so hard......calling Holmes,Peete JAGS??....Really...lol...dude is avg...never been impressed.

*Miramar has good coaches, have alot of them...but Cogdell has had a good defense even when he didnt have horses over their going div 1....if they dont have a good staff show me who the **** does in BROWARD...Them losing to Plant isnt a bad thing..Plant is a MONSTER in Tampa.a team loaded with div 1 prospects every yea and a recruiting monster..compared to Miramar where 85% of their football team walks home from school.

The thing with STA in Broward...is EVERYBODY is scared of them....its been like that since i was in high school...most teams lay down before kickoff...well Miramar has beaten them a few times...and those kids dont give a **** and arent afraid to suit up and take it to them. STA coaches are ont heir heels against teams like Miramar...MNW is loaded with prospects and got dogwalked by sta.....put it on Miramar's staff...they show up against sta every year....

Advertisement

Good day.

2. Could've fooled me. Been a 4-3 'man' defense ever since I've been at WHS. Maybe things have changed. *shrugs* I'm not there this year so I haven't scouted yall.

3. That LB placement is terrible because it causes your LB's to get caught up in the "wash" if the ball bounces outside. There's a reason NOBODY in football worth a **** lines up their LB's a 2 yards. It also hurts your zone coverage, but if you're playing 'man' every play then it's not an issue. LOL

4. That was sarcasm, but the offense is vanilla and easy to prepare for. Nothing creative about it.

5. You have alot of groupies, not coaches. Majority of them cats are standing around and twiddling their thumbs.

6. You guys put kids in college because they're great athletes, period. These kids aren't getting scholarships because of their high school coaching. I'm not responsible for putting a single kid in D1. Coaches don't create D1 athletes, genetics and hard work do. Hollywood Hill isn't responsible for developing Armbrister the same way Miramar isn't responsible for sending Jermaine Grace to Miami. Grace is at Miami cause he's 6'2" and runs a 4.4 not cause he played at Miramar. Don't give yourself credit for sending a bunch of kids to D1. That's BS. Those kids would be D1 athletes if they played at any school. YOU WANT CREDIT FOR DEVELOPING KIDS THEN SHOW ME A KID WHO ISN'T GIFTED GENETICALLY BUT STILL PRODUCES ON THE FIELD. That is player development. You don't get that much credit for getting productivity out of guys who are gifted athletes. That's easy.

So, if a kid is gifted athletically, the coaching doesn't matter? That's really the argument?

We're talking about athletes playing a sport. Their athleticism is and should be above average to make it to the Varsity level of competition. But hey, whatever man.

And, in response to your question: Mark Rucker (UCF LB), Trevon Coley (FAU DT), Jordan Burdi (FIU DT for a season then quit). None especially gifted, yet all went to college on scholarship.

But hey, like I said, you're entitled to your opinion. I vehemently disagree. Sometimes, it be like that.

Good day.

Agree on that last part. People Give WAYYYY Too much credit to coaches for supposedly "developing" kids. Honestly don't think people realize the kind of work(personal trainers/speed trainers/specialized coaching, etc....) these kids put in outside of school/HS practice/college.

Good **** Wildcat. Peete has been hyped up for about two years now interesting you call the receivers JAGs. I think he got a lot of hype based on camp setting though.

i brought Devante Peete's name up on this board when i first joined....umm that kid can play...he is a matchup night mare with his height. Games i watch of him in pads he just stood out completely..dont know if he is a camp guy..but in pads every time ive seen him he's caught a td or did work..

Yeah man, not trying to say he stinks or anything but he was a skinny ****** kicking *** in camps against legit upperclassmen a few years back. Actually it had been so long he was a forgotten name because he was so young but I always remembered seeing him. Don't know if you remember the Ohio Scout reporter, Bill Green I think it was (he was really good IMO) but he was raving about Peete years ago and basically said just wait till he gets some size/strength.

Advertisement

Good day.

So, if a kid is gifted athletically, the coaching doesn't matter? That's really the argument?

We're talking about athletes playing a sport. Their athleticism is and should be above average to make it to the Varsity level of competition. But hey, whatever man.

And, in response to your question: Mark Rucker (UCF LB), Trevon Coley (FAU DT), Jordan Burdi (FIU DT for a season then quit). None especially gifted, yet all went to college on scholarship.

But hey, like I said, you're entitled to your opinion. I vehemently disagree. Sometimes, it be like that.

coached him in optomist..beast at rb and lb.....lives around the block for me and older bro is my boy who also is on Miramar's coaching staff and played qb at Bethune Cookman.

Wildcat feels like that because he coached @ Western a team devoid of talent yearly...feels like the other teams like Miramar are lucky or whatever because of the talent their bless with either recruiting or where their located.

Its not their fault Western had to do more with less.....and u guys had to be exotic and creative to get first downs and stops...they still have good coaching staffs.

B.A. for like a 4-5 year span was loaded down with prospects ...yet couldnt win sh*t....Miramar since the early 2000's had a lot of talent over their and couldnt win consistently tll Cogdell. They still do a good job.

Good day.

coached him in optomist..beast at rb and lb.....lives around the block for me and older bro is my boy who also is on Miramar's coaching staff and played qb at Bethune Cookman.

Wildcat feels like that because he coached @ Western a team devoid of talent yearly...feels like the other teams like Miramar are lucky or whatever because of the talent their bless with either recruiting or where their located.

Its not their fault Western had to do more with less.....and u guys had to be exotic and creative to get first downs and stops...they still have good coaching staffs.

B.A. for like a 4-5 year span was loaded down with prospects ...yet couldnt win sh*t....Miramar since the early 2000's had a lot of talent over their and couldnt win consistently tll Cogdell. They still do a good job.

Ok ok ok. I'm not saying they're bad coaches or completely un-coached. If I said something that implied that then I apologize and take it back. But I get a lil' salty when I hear/see people throw around the coaching titles. I feel like we don't get the credit we deserve while teams who are loaded like STA, Miramar, Cypress Bay, etc...get credit for being great coaching staffs. I'll admit it rubs me the wrong and it gets frustrating at times. For example, Cypress Bay is supposed to have this "great coaching staff" and look at what they're doing so far this season with a little less talent than they're used to. They just got mopped by Flanagan last night. Cypress Bay, along with Miramar, is one of those teams that we've been able to give problems to for roughly 3 quarters until their athletes take over. It gets frustrating when you feel like you've out-coached another staff but their athletes just make plays for them to win games.

Make sure you follow Western this year. Our whole staff left and NOW people will see and understand how good of a job we were doing over there. Without us they're currently 0-4 and have been out-scored 114 to 3 in their first 4 games. Lmao. They got Miramar and Cypress Bay coming up.

Good day.

Ok ok ok. I'm not saying they're bad coaches or completely un-coached. If I said something that implied that then I apologize and take it back. But I get a lil' salty when I hear/see people throw around the coaching titles. I feel like we don't get the credit we deserve while teams who are loaded like STA, Miramar, Cypress Bay, etc...get credit for being great coaching staffs. I'll admit it rubs me the wrong and it gets frustrating at times. For example, Cypress Bay is supposed to have this "great coaching staff" and look at what they're doing so far this season with a little less talent than they're used to. They just got mopped by Flanagan last night. Cypress Bay, along with Miramar, is one of those teams that we've been able to give problems to for roughly 3 quarters until their athletes take over. It gets frustrating when you feel like you've out-coached another staff but their athletes just make plays for them to win games.

Make sure you follow Western this year. Our whole staff left and NOW people will see and understand how good of a job we were doing over there. Without us they're currently 0-4 and have been out-scored 114 to 3 in their first 4 games. Lmao. They got Miramar and Cypress Bay coming up.

an Cypress bay still went out an got transfers in like that beast lb/de they have that came in from piper.

i feel u on that....certain staffs i agree they get by on straight out athleting teams...no scheming or anything legible...

Miramar though for the most part has solid to good coaches.

Thats why some of u guys need to get in at these "urban" schools loaded down with athletes ready to be brought up to speed....the Plantation's, Ely's, etc....

Advertisement
Back