Mike Smith will start at MLB

Smith is a pass rushing extraordinaire. Terrible move but let's not forget our coaches have put DE's on WRs.....so not surprising.

Advertisement
This board is ridiculous. I swear it's getting worse by the day. It's not a bad move. He has the body type and skill set for it. The idea of having pass rushers everywhere is a good thing.

did anyone else notice Gaines and TC trying to get to the QB!!!

I DON'T APPRECIATE HAVING MY THREAD HIJACKED
AND THEN PASSING IT OFF AS THEIR INFORNATIION
THAT'S SOME BS

Makes perfect sense, pure pass rusher with natural instincts..... "so let's move him inside" .

I really hope this isn't true, it'll just add to the doubts that I already have with staff.

Advertisement
Makes perfect sense, pure pass rusher with natural instincts..... "so let's move him inside" .

I really hope this isn't true, it'll just add to the doubts that I already have with staff.

How dare you question the decisions of this staff? It has put in place a defense that year in, year out, sucks complete ***.

This board is ridiculous. I swear it's getting worse by the day. It's not a bad move. He has the body type and skill set for it. The idea of having pass rushers everywhere is a good thing.
Normally I would agree with you but seriously, if the fans can't question the handling of the defense, a historically pathetic unit....then when the **** are we allowed to criticize anything? You stand up on a soapbox and wag your finger, but isn't it just as ridiculous to automatically defend the worst unit in the history of the program?

Skillset?

Skill set meaning that he's able to play in space. He's a good pass rusher; normally those types of guys are a bit awkward outside of that role. He seems coordinated, flexible, and active enough to play stacked rather than on the line all the time.

He's way undersized to be a full time defensive lineman. He has to play Rush, Sam, or one of the inside backer spots. It's quite a luxury to have an inside player that's able to be an effective pass rusher. We're in good shape with young pass rushers right now. It makes logical sense to try a few of guys inside to see if we can strike gold.

Right but he hasn't really ever played in space and when they tried him out at camp last year he struggled mightly as was reported on this site by Pete who was a huge fan of his. I'm sorry but there is nothing indicating he has the skillset and actual evidence he doesn't. Now he may turn out to be a great mike but there is absolutely no evidence that he can though.

Advertisement
He doesn't have the frame or the length to play DE or OLB in a 5 man front. With Chad, Owens and Harris playing out there he should be moved. He plays aggressive as **** and that's what you want in a 3-4 WILB. We need a backup to Kirby.

Skillset?

Skill set meaning that he's able to play in space. He's a good pass rusher; normally those types of guys are a bit awkward outside of that role. He seems coordinated, flexible, and active enough to play stacked rather than on the line all the time.

He's way undersized to be a full time defensive lineman. He has to play Rush, Sam, or one of the inside backer spots. It's quite a luxury to have an inside player that's able to be an effective pass rusher. We're in good shape with young pass rushers right now. It makes logical sense to try a few of guys inside to see if we can strike gold.

Right but he hasn't really ever played in space and when they tried him out at camp last year he struggled mightly as was reported on this site by Pete who was a huge fan of his. I'm sorry but there is nothing indicating he has the skillset and actual evidence he doesn't. Now he may turn out to be a great mike but there is absolutely no evidence that he can though.

Right. Everything I said is speculation. I used a lot of speculative language in my response for a reason. They'll try him there at first. I see him more as a Will than a Mike. Lets see if it works out. They must see something in him or they're try to see if something sticks. I've seen him play before, he played against a team I coached. I'm going to trust my analysis. I don't care what someone else says.

I worry about his change of direction and ability to play in space. He looked a little stiff at linebacker at the Golden Camp, and he's coming off a serious injury.

Hopefully it works out for him because he is a great player.

Advertisement
Normally I would agree with you but seriously, if the fans can't question the handling of the defense, a historically pathetic unit....then when the **** are we allowed to criticize anything? You stand up on a soapbox and wag your finger, but isn't it just as ridiculous to automatically defend the worst unit in the history of the program?

First of all, I'm not defending anyone. It doesn't matter the news; the same people are going to criticize everyone at every angle. It's lazy. That requires very little thought. People group themselves with the anti coach movement and all their opinions hinge on a vague belief. If the coach is faintly involved, it's his fault. EVERY TIME! All that does is kill the conversation.

Half of the things said prior to my comment were just factually incorrect, or just wrong; and it's all justified by groupthink. It's obvious that we have been terrible--you put it much more eloquently than me. We could write a poetic compilation with all the anti-coach prose being thrown around here.

I want people to analyze things. Push a discussion forward, not just throw around groupthink conclusions.

Right but he hasn't really ever played in space and when they tried him out at camp last year he struggled mightly as was reported on this site by Pete who was a huge fan of his. I'm sorry but there is nothing indicating he has the skillset and actual evidence he doesn't. Now he may turn out to be a great mike but there is absolutely no evidence that he can though.[/QUOTE]

He's never played LB, and he's atrocious is coverage. I'm usually a positive poster, but this is a ridiculous move. Mike Smith may be a better pure pass rusher than chad thomas, and we're gonna make this kid a MLB?!!?

Advertisement

First of all, I'm not defending anyone. It doesn't matter the news; the same people are going to criticize everyone at every angle. It's lazy. That requires very little thought. People group themselves with the anti coach movement and all their opinions hinge on a vague belief. If the coach is faintly involved, it's his fault. EVERY TIME! All that does is kill the conversation.

Half of the things said prior to my comment were just factually incorrect, or just wrong; and it's all justified by groupthink. It's obvious that we have been terrible--you put it much more eloquently than me. We could write a poetic compilation with all the anti-coach prose being thrown around here.

I want people to analyze things. Push a discussion forward, not just throw around groupthink conclusions.

So you're generalizing? Fair enough.

not too intelligent when you have the collection of trogs this place does though

Skillset?

This site mocks Pete's player evaluations as much as Coach d's scheme.

So you're generalizing? Fair enough.

not too intelligent when you have the collection of trogs this place does though

You're probably right. I'm expecting too much of people--but eff that, everyone is capable of contributing! Why sell ourselves short?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back