Mike Smith will start at MLB

Hstokes1447

Junior
According to a article on CS, Mike Smith at MLB is a smart move. This kid is a stud and a savage like him in the middle again. The comp at this position is going to be fun to see unfold.

Advertisement
I figured Smith would redshirt anyway. Let him grow into whatever his natural position is.

Advertisement
Lulz @ this staff if true.

It continues to be amateur hour in Coral Gables.

Don't know why some of y'all are so surprised. And upset.

Smith is 6' 1" and 225 lbs or so, right? His size is right (granted, who knows how UTough will hit him). He's also a **** good football player. The type of guy we usually see grind out a helluva career somewhere else.

I'm not at all upset to hear them trying him in the middle.

Plus: "Miami coaches told me I'll play linebacker first and second down, then on third down might drop down to end." I doubt the coaches pitch was "come play on third and long forever." We'll see where he lines up.

Last edited:
We need passrushing help, so it makes sense to take our best natural incoming passrusher and make him a MLB.

Not going to jump off a cliff here though, our guys can't be that dumb. If it gets him on the field sooner, I guess I will take it.

Advertisement
This board is ridiculous. I swear it's getting worse by the day. It's not a bad move. He has the body type and skill set for it. The idea of having pass rushers everywhere is a good thing.

D.J. Williams started out at FB. He obviously didn't stay there. As long as Smith is on the field making plays, I'm good.

Advertisement
This board is ridiculous. I swear it's getting worse by the day. It's not a bad move. He has the body type and skill set for it. The idea of having pass rushers everywhere is a good thing.

Skillset?

Skill set meaning that he's able to play in space. He's a good pass rusher; normally those types of guys are a bit awkward outside of that role. He seems coordinated, flexible, and active enough to play stacked rather than on the line all the time.

He's way undersized to be a full time defensive lineman. He has to play Rush, Sam, or one of the inside backer spots. It's quite a luxury to have an inside player that's able to be an effective pass rusher. We're in good shape with young pass rushers right now. It makes logical sense to try a few of guys inside to see if we can strike gold.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back