Mike Smith will start at MLB

I guess I didn't realize he was only 6-1. All the pics and vid I saw of him he looked taller and lankier.

Advertisement
This board is ridiculous. I swear it's getting worse by the day. It's not a bad move. He has the body type and skill set for it. The idea of having pass rushers everywhere is a good thing.

Skillset?

Skill set meaning that he's able to play in space. He's a good pass rusher; normally those types of guys are a bit awkward outside of that role. He seems coordinated, flexible, and active enough to play stacked rather than on the line all the time.

He's way undersized to be a full time defensive lineman. He has to play Rush, Sam, or one of the inside backer spots. It's quite a luxury to have an inside player that's able to be an effective pass rusher. We're in good shape with young pass rushers right now. It makes logical sense to try a few of guys inside to see if we can strike gold.

Right but he hasn't really ever played in space and when they tried him out at camp last year he struggled mightly as was reported on this site by Pete who was a huge fan of his. I'm sorry but there is nothing indicating he has the skillset and actual evidence he doesn't. Now he may turn out to be a great mike but there is absolutely no evidence that he can though.

This site mocks Pete's player evaluations as much as Coach d's scheme.

It doesn't take a great talent evaluator to make a judgement call that someone struggles in coverage and space.

It doesn't take a great talent evaluator to make a judgement call that someone struggles in coverage and space.

I was at the camp as well. I'm no professional evaluator but Smith was getting beat every time out. It's new to him, but he didn't look as smooth there as Terry McCray.

It's interesting that we have three of the best pass rushers in the class starting out at ILB (Smith, McCray, Young). Maybe we will see more Double-A Gap blitzes, which have taken over the NFL courtesy of the late Jim Johnson.

I DON'T APPRECIATE HAVING MY THREAD HIJACKED
AND THEN PASSING IT OFF AS THEIR INFORNATIION
THAT'S SOME BS

I did not know you made a post about this and I also did not pass this off as my own. Below is my post again, you can clearly see me give credit to my source.

According to a article on CS, Mike Smith at MLB is a smart move. This kid is a stud and a savage like him in the middle again. The comp at this position is going to be fun to see unfold.

https://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1637499

Advertisement
[video=youtube_share;RvIrpDD7HgE]http://youtu.be/RvIrpDD7HgE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;mXd81cQvtDg]http://youtu.be/mXd81cQvtDg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;erWEgjuFLP4]http://youtu.be/erWEgjuFLP4[/video]

I like the move it adds more flexibility in running the fire zone blitz package with his speed and pas rushing ability in the middle. I think staff will bulk him up to 240lbs over the next year while he read shirts an gets used to the weight. He can also learn to play in traffic coming from the inside, also keep in mind UM asked MNW staff to pay him more at LB this year to get him used to playing LB when he came to UM.

By his r-soph year smith will be a blitzing beast from the inside, also he can drop down to 4-3 DE if we need a quick scheme change when playing uptempo on the field and substitutions aren't possible.

Go Canes

Go Canes.

Whats the big deal if he starts out at ILB? You guys know thats not written in stone and he can switch to another position if need be. He has time to work on his craft, he's a freshmen!

Advertisement
Here's a guy who transitioned nicely from DE to inside linebacker:

[video=youtube;fopFciBwsU0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fopFciBwsU0[/video]

Skillset?

Skill set meaning that he's able to play in space. He's a good pass rusher; normally those types of guys are a bit awkward outside of that role. He seems coordinated, flexible, and active enough to play stacked rather than on the line all the time.

He's way undersized to be a full time defensive lineman. He has to play Rush, Sam, or one of the inside backer spots. It's quite a luxury to have an inside player that's able to be an effective pass rusher. We're in good shape with young pass rushers right now. It makes logical sense to try a few of guys inside to see if we can strike gold.

Right but he hasn't really ever played in space and when they tried him out at camp last year he struggled mightly as was reported on this site by Pete who was a huge fan of his. I'm sorry but there is nothing indicating he has the skillset and actual evidence he doesn't. Now he may turn out to be a great mike but there is absolutely no evidence that he can though.

This site mocks Pete's player evaluations as much as Coach d's scheme.

Must have been the scheme.

Legit asking if you can name anyone else. Usually when you have defensive players change position, you want them to move closer to the line of scrimmage than further away, no?

Advertisement
Since he's redshirting, they probably want to see if he has any aptitude for inside linebacker. And even at outside linebacker, there will be coverage responsibilities that he'll need to learn. Sounds like a non-issue to me.

Whats the big deal if he starts out at ILB? You guys know thats not written in stone and he can switch to another position if need be. He has time to work on his craft, he's a freshmen!

I agree... Try him at ILB!!!

Lulz @ this staff if true.

It continues to be amateur hour in Coral Gables.

Absolutely awful.

Smith is a 4-3 DE.

There is no way in **** that Smith would stand a chance at DE, the kid is 6'1. If this staff keeps him at DE he will turn out to be another Marcus Robinson.

Not true, if he recovers well from injury and is back to normal he could potentially be an all american DE when its all said and done and if used in the right system. In terms of size I see similarities to Vic Beasly who is only 6'2 235. Moving him to MLB would slow down his game speed because he is not a natural LB, it would force him to think more. In addition, he's not agile enough for MLB.

Advertisement

Legit asking if you can name anyone else. Usually when you have defensive players change position, you want them to move closer to the line of scrimmage than further away, no?

All it takes is one to know it's possible.

But I think you're right, the other way around might be more common. Where I coached we've had kids that played guard in high school and ended up moving to LB and DE. We had a DT move to DE in college; a DE to LB. We also had LB move to nickel in college. It's not totally uncommon. Sometimes a kid fits differently in his high school team than his college team.

Smith kind of reminds me of Brandon spikes a lil bit so I'm not suprised. I think he will be awesome there. I never seen him as a rush end so Iike it.

LOL at anyone who thought Smith was going to play anything else other than MLB the minute he stepped foot on campus.
His HS tape screamed MLB.

Advertisement
Back