Mike Smith will start at MLB

Advertisement
They brought in a lot of guys that are all pretty similar at that rush end spot. Getting ILBs that are adept at coming forward and making plays at the line is a necessity.

LOL at anyone who thought Smith was going to play anything else other than MLB the minute he stepped foot on campus.
His HS tape screamed MLB.

Really??? His tape shows him playing predominantly Defensive End, yet somehow that screams "position Change." You must be a Real Life Corch.

LOL at anyone who thought Smith was going to play anything else other than MLB the minute he stepped foot on campus.

Really??? His tape shows him playing predominantly Defensive End, yet somehow that screams "position Change." You must be a Real Life Corch.

Yeah his tape shows him relentlessly hunting QBs down. It screams pass rusher but he doesn't have the size for end. Outside linebacker seems natural for him, but there's nothing wrong with giving him a look inside.

Advertisement
I DON'T APPRECIATE HAVING MY THREAD HIJACKED
AND THEN PASSING IT OFF AS THEIR INFORNATIION
THAT'S SOME BS

The "information" was on rivals several hours before you posted anything. That coupled with the fact that your thread didn't make any god**** sense.

According to a article on CS, Mike Smith at MLB is a smart move. This kid is a stud and a savage like him in the middle again. The comp at this position is going to be fun to see unfold.
It will be awesome word with the staff they tried to do the same with shayon green..if they knew armbrister was gonna be disappointment they would have forced it...

Advertisement
I figured Mike Smith would be an OLB but don't mind him at MLB. During his redshirt season he will have an opportunity to learn the intricacies of the position. I primarily like the move because I originally thought we recruited too many pass rushers and tweeners.

we back when we dont have to scrutinize these scenarios; we shouldnt even have to care about this guy til 2016.. its been this way too long now

According to a article on CS, Mike Smith at MLB is a smart move. This kid is a stud and a savage like him in the middle again. The comp at this position is going to be fun to see unfold.
It will be awesome word with the staff they tried to do the same with shayon green..if they knew armbrister was gonna be disappointment they would have forced it...

Armbrister a disappointment? What were your expectations for the Kid?

I don't have access to the amount of information that the staff does, but this seems pretty curious based on the skills of the player.

That said, in a 3-4 the WILB plays downhill mostly and rushes the passer in certain sets. It's entirely possible he is a versatile player who moves around and they only ask him to play to his strengths as a rusher from the inside and then rush from the outside on 3rd down.

You can design a defense to prevent a player from needing to be in coverage, but I will also say I haven't seen much in the way of designing plays around the strengths of the players. It's normally been "this is the scheme, fit into it." If they think he's going to simply be a 4-3 Mike that can run the defense and drop into coverage and diagnose running plays at the snap, stick his foot in the ground and fill the correct gap on 3rd and short, they're going to be disappointed I'm afraid.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Yeah his tape shows him relentlessly hunting QBs down. It screams pass rusher but he doesn't have the size for end. Outside linebacker seems natural for him, but there's nothing wrong with giving him a look inside.

Did you think Deon Bush would end up at Linebacker as well?

I persnally thought his tape just SCREAMED DT to me

Quick hands, god explosion, natural passrushing ability, elite first step off the ball........2 years of UTOUGH and **** be 270+ EASILY

After watching Smith's tape a bit more in depth: I can say that he has a few redeemable qualities for an inside linebacker. His likely shortcomings notwithstanding, Smith does a really good job of using his hat and hands; which will allow him to shed blocks very easily from a stacked alignment. Leading with his hat, he makes violent contact with blockers. After that initial contact is made, he sometimes brings his hands in a similar violent, punching manner. Being able to shock larger blockers with your hat and subsequently shooting your hands is key for a linebacker to have success in the run game.

He takes good angles in space. For as awkward as people say he is, he's a very good open field tackler. He plays with good pad level and he displays the ability to breakdown and change direction when in that situation. From experience I can tell you that any kid that hasn't played in coverage before is likely to be very awkward at first. I'm not sure how much experience he has in that role. Almost never do you find a kid that is a natural at pass coverage. It takes some time for everyone, some kids less than others. Maybe his lack of experience is why he looked so bad at camp.

Why don't we all fly off the handle about an incoming freshman that 90% of us have never really seen besides a 5-minute highlight clip?! I think that's the best course of action.

Advertisement
Back