Miami New Times: Why Everyone Hates Miami Hurricanes Fans

DTP, you are correct, however, stats show that the city with the most violent crime in FL is Miami Beach, BUT Orlando is a close 2nd and unfortunately, my town, Daytona Beach is 3rd. Probably relative to all those tourists visiting our cities. Prior to Disney, Orlando was a sleepy little town with low crime rate, while Miami/Miami Beach and Daytona have always been tourist-type cities.

Actually the city with the most violent crimes per capita in Florida is Florida City. Literally the furthest city south before you hit the Keys. After that is Opa-Lacka. Miami beach has the most property crimes though.

I do get your point though. A lot of these sleepy-tourist towns have a dark underbelly that the general public isn't aware of. If I remember correctly, Cocoa is also one of the most criminal towns in Florida also.

Advertisement
My response to this whole thread and the true canes as well as morons here is who gives two ****tts. If you are a Tru cane fan whether u took a **** class or not, you don't care what any other fan opponent, or media thinks. **** all of them. I'm a diehard regardless, I attend multiple games per season and haven't missed one in God knows. And no I didn't attend because I couldn't afford. The man who mentioned the point that no other fan base has fans who will shout out in public when seeing a fellow cane is absolutely right. Just happened to me twice at a conference in Orlando this week. I love it

Pine Hills says "Hi"

'jomar does make a good point, people love to take shots at Miami for some reason, reminds me of the Animal House line "you can't do that to our pledges, only we can do that to our pledges"
FIFY

To say something positive about canes fans - the ones who actually go to games, not the pretend ones who post on message boards but otherwise don’t do anything else to support the team - I think we’re the most inclusive group of canes anywhere.

Another poster said it before, but it‘s worth repeating. Where else will you see a neurosurgeon high fiving someone from the hood, next to an ex cane, sitting behind a housewife from the suburbs talking trash, a ****** guy bltching about no holding calls, a Cuban raising **** about the play calling, a Haitian dude telling him to be patient, and so on.....only at a Canes game ....and everybody loving the Canes. Everybody sitting together, no problems.

Think you’re seeing that at the swamp, or anywhere else?

Advertisement
To say something positive about canes fans - the ones who actually go to games, not the pretend ones who post on message boards but otherwise don’t do anything else to support the team - I think we’re the most inclusive group of canes anywhere.

Another poster said it before, but it‘s worth repeating. Where else will you see a neurosurgeon high fiving someone from the hood, next to an ex cane, sitting behind a housewife from the suburbs talking trash, a ****** guy bltching about no holding calls, a Cuban raising **** about the play calling, a Haitian dude telling him to be patient, and so on.....only at a Canes game ....and everybody loving the Canes. Everybody sitting together, no problems.

Think you’re seeing that at the swamp, or anywhere else?

Some of us haven't attended games in decades but still give more money to the progrum than most of these porsters on Cis, so I don't know what you are getting at here.

There are real Canes everywhere! That's what makes us tha :neonu:

(yeah run-on sentence and all that)

Always has been, always will be. []_[] know it!

Attachments

• uatw2.jpg
    uatw2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
Once you get to I-4 and south of it, a lot of people move down here from up north and such. Snowbirds taking over

Yea but there's been many Canes moving/ migrating for years up to cent/ North Fla. Not uncommon to see canes gear/ plates etc all over the place. My older bro moosehead cane has been proudly wearing his Cane gear for years from St.Augustine down to Cape Coral Go Canes!

So many interesting responses on here. I graduated from Miami, my parents didn't go to college. It was my dream school largely because of the football team. I'm disabled so being an athlete wasn't in the equation. I remember my first day of class my Jr. year (I was a transfer student.) I remember feeling during my time there that only the locals had more of a passionate feel about athletics. In my experience, most students didn't care about sports. I did graduate in 2008 which is right in the middle of the dark ages. I was a sports administration major, did a couple of internships with athletics. That time period was extremely dysfunctional! I personally think people hate Miami football because it wasn't as lily white and clean as most of America wanted it to be. I think for most of the Shalala era, we tried to be a big 10 south team. That is to say very collegiate, very alumni oriented. The University, while she was in charge had a very big complex because of football's 80s-90's image.

Going into college, I did have a deep sense of Canes athletic history, not just football history. I am that guy that rolled his eyes at any " thug U" or "criminal" comment. Ex girlfriends and friends have reminded me to let things go during parties, LOL! The only thing that bothers me about non alumni Canes fans, are the annoying complaints about athletic department finances when it comes to coaching searches and facilities etc.

Also, I do think during the Shalala years, my biggest complaint as a local, a student, and huge Canes fan was that from a marketing perspective we got away from being a city school and tried to catered too much to alumni and by default shrinking the fan base. What got me most excited about the right era is that it feels like a combination of Schnellenberger with facilities, JJ with attitude, and Butch with recruiting.

I think Richt is the best marketer we've ever had as a head coach. Getting college game day was huge! It showed: number one that we had a campus. Number two, how beautiful and picturesque campus actually is. And number three that college game day was uniquely Miami. This Richt era crew embraces the hate! Don't let the Bible thumping fool you, he's a savage! I really enjoy where we are headed!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some of us haven't attended games in decades but still give more money to the progrum than most of these porsters on Cis, so I don't know what you are getting at here.

There are real Canes everywhere! That's what makes us tha :neonu:

(yeah run-on sentence and all that)

Nothing against people that live away, that’s not what I meant. Don’t have to go far to find keyboard warriors that can’t be bothered. Some of the best we have don’t get to go many games because of where they live. That wasn’t the point. I mean I’ve sat in the stands in 2001 (NC year) for non marquee games at the OB looking at over 25k empty seats. Who’s that on? The locals or some guy in Utah?

I was there @mianjomar. 1st play from scrimmage, Jamal Lewis breaks free and gets to the 3 yd line caught by Ed Reed. I thought "OH ****"! They had to settle for a field goal and then we put the hammer to them the rest of the way! .

you kinda sound like the very fans we're making fun of in this thread

jamal lewis and ed reed? Lewis had been in the nfl for some time at that point, and reed was gone as well.

without looking, I'll say it was travis stephens and either sean taylor that tackled him or sikes ( probably sikes )

People always hate on the non alum fans, but it's those same fans who made the OB one of most feared places to play at back in the heyday! It's those same fans who rocked Notre Dame's bus last year and had the catholics shaking in their rosaries before the game even started! Most of the alums have never even been to a homegame.

Those of you hating on the non alum fans sound like a bunch of Tad Foote drones. Get off your high horses! The U football program and the city are one and the same. That's what makes us special. That's why we say, "It's a Canes thing, you wouldn't understand," which--by no coincidence--applies to Miami in general and its unique culture.

GO CANES!

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
People always hate on the non alum fans, but it's those same fans who made the OB one of most feared places to play at back in the heyday! It's those same fans who rocked Notre Dame's bus last year and had the catholics shaking in their rosaries before the game even started! Most of the alums have never even been to a homegame.

Those of you hating on the non alum fans sound like a bunch of Tad Foote drones. Get off your high horses! The U football program and the city are one and the same. That's what makes us special. That's why we say, "It's a Canes thing, you wouldn't understand," which--by no coincidence--applies to Miami in general and its unique culture.

GO CANES!

Maybe I haven’t been paying attention, but who’s hating on non-alum fans?

We’d be nowhere without our fire base of real fans, which is made of alums and non-alums. Plenty of great non-alum fans. It’s also important to remember the strong connection the U has to loyalists in the Miami area, it represents that, it also represents in good measure, urban culture (for lack of a better word, but I hope people understand my point).

The most passionate place and perhaps rowdiest was the WEZ of the OB. Talk about race diversity, we had it all but we fiercely hung together against all foes. I think many players on other teams envied the U players. Bosworth comes to mind.

Last edited:

GO CANES!

Ironically enough, it's comments like this that cause some alums like myself to look side eye at some of the non-alum fans. There are tons of intelligent, dedicated fans of The U that have never attended the University. I salute those fans(We need more of those fans, because the alumni base will stay pretty constant barring some kind of crazy building frenzy), but those that consistently have this anti-education, "The administration hates athletics" mindset, even though it isn't remotely close to true are the ones that we could all do without. College athletics are great, but they haven't ever, and I repeat EVER built a University. This is the problem, a lot of our fans have a professional sports mindset, forgetting that the University of Miami has well over 9900 undergraduates on campus that won't ever play football for the institution.

By the way, most of the alums have been to a home game, it's quite rare for someone to attend the University and not even attend one **** game. I wish more students would buy in, but I also understand that as the academic side of the University continues to improve, you won't get as many of the "Work Hard, Play Hard" kids that were on campus back in my era. You have more "Work Hard, Play Never" types, which you need to be, in order to survive.

Advertisement
So many interesting responses on here. I graduated from Miami, my parents didn't go to college. It was my dream school largely because of the football team. I'm disabled so being an athlete wasn't in the equation. I remember my first day of class my Jr. year (I was a transfer student.) I remember feeling during my time there that only the locals had more of a passionate feel about athletics. In my experience, most students didn't care about sports. I did graduate in 2008 which is right in the middle of the dark ages. I was a sports administration major, did a couple of internships with athletics. That time period was extremely dysfunctional! I personally think people hate Miami football because it wasn't as lily white and clean as most of America wanted it to be. I think for most of the Shalala era, we tried to be a big 10 south team. That is to say very collegiate, very alumni oriented. The University, while she was in charge had a very big complex because of football's 80s-90's image.

Going into college, I did have a deep sense of Canes athletic history, not just football history. I am that guy that rolled his eyes at any " thug U" or "criminal" comment. Ex girlfriends and friends have reminded me to let things go during parties, LOL! The only thing that bothers me about non alumni Canes fans, are the annoying complaints about athletic department finances when it comes to coaching searches and facilities etc.

Also, I do think during the Shalala years, my biggest complaint as a local, a student, and huge Canes fan was that from a marketing perspective we got away from being a city school and tried to catered too much to alumni and by default shrinking the fan base. What got me most excited about the right era is that it feels like a combination of Schnellenberger with facilities, JJ with attitude, and Butch with recruiting.

I think Richt is the best marketer we've ever had as a head coach. Getting college game day was huge! It showed: number one that we had a campus. Number two, how beautiful and picturesque campus actually is. And number three that college game day was uniquely Miami. This Richt era crew embraces the hate! Don't let the Bible thumping fool you, he's a savage! I really enjoy where we are headed!

The reason why the athletic department caters to alumni, is because it's the alumni that donate to the department. Organizations tend to set their marketing plans to those they can reach. You can't expect any marketing professional to continue to reach out to a demographic group that won't do diddly squat for the company they work for. Our fanbase, despite their being pockets of loyal support is very wishy washy in regards to writing checks. Look at this message board for an example. We have actual fans ENCOURAGING others to not donate to the IPF fund, because "The school has the money". Let that marinate. Even when times are good, we can't consistently depend on the non-affiliated fans to CONSISTENTLY give to the program. Don't get me wrong, there are some non-alums that write some HUGE checks, and I've been fortunate enough to meet some of them over the years, but there are a lot of the "I am all about The U when times are good, but I'll also bail when things inevitably take a nosedive".

By the way, what University WOULDN'T have a complex about what this program went through in the eighties and early nineties? The Decade of Dominance was great, but the hangover almost killed the entire program. I don't think it would have happened had Jimmy stayed, he found a way to combine swagger with actual discipline. His guys graduated, they for the most part stayed out of trouble. The problem was that Erickson was able to ride Jimmy's discipline to two quick titles, and the the program started to fall apart both on and off the field. People act like Dr. Shalala and the brass tried to cripple the program. They didn't. If you want an actual example of an administration putting the kibosh on a program, go to Dallas and take a look at SMU after they came back from the death penalty. That's an administration that didn't want anything to do with big time athletics. They didn't do diddly squat for that program for **** near 20 years.

you kinda sound like the very fans we're making fun of in this thread

jamal lewis and ed reed? Lewis had been in the nfl for some time at that point, and reed was gone as well.

without looking, I'll say it was travis stephens and either sean taylor that tackled him or sikes ( probably sikes )
Make all the fun you desire. Probably been a Cane longer than you've been on the planet. You're correct about Lewis. He was drafted in 2000. Reed was drafted in 2002.

Don't forget Ron Fraser..

Advertisement
Back