Miami New Times: Why Everyone Hates Miami Hurricanes Fans

Advertisement
Remembering your bio off the top of my head.
1. I am about 15-20 years older than you.
2. You went to school out west which would have been least ‘native’, more transplants/dilution - and more fans as result of multiple national championships. AKA Bandwagon. I watched Jimmy Johnson live in the Orange Bowl in his first season and thought he was a bust hire. I admit it.
Saw that awful display in the Sugar Bowl against Tenn. and wanted to kill JJ and Vinnie on the spot. We spent a fortune on that trip to NOLA. Finally thought I’d finally see a good Miami team in person. I still haven’t seen one except on the tube.

Why everyone hates uncle puke.
AEAFC6C2-33E8-40CB-9E2A-2A1DD394942B.jpeg

It is the same all over the USA. College football is regional support. Go to Louisiana. There is no FSU, UF, UCF, USF, Miami debate. It is LSU period. And 90% of their fans did not attend college anywhere fellas. So stop your whining about UM fans that did not attend college there, much much more prevalent in many places. And that is not a bad thing, support your regional school.

You could say that about any college fanbase, especially the three in florida. Most fsu fans you meet in Tallahassee didn't go there. It's just easy to pick on miami and uf fans for that because A.) the cost of tuition and B.) acceptance requirements, as opposed to fsu. Couple that with the small amount Miami graduates every year compared to the other two and you get the worst of both sides.
Amen

Advertisement
I’ll be honest , living in North Central Fla I can say most of the cane fans I’ve come across here are idiots , they can’t name any players or know anything about the team.

Over the years I’d get excited to see a cane fan around here, start talkin canes then immediately realized it’s just another idiot that just wears the gear or has the tags on the ride. I just gave up on it. I’m a cane fan with a negative outlook on cane fans lol, at least the ones around here.

If I came across a knowledgeable cane fan in person around town I’d probably start stalking them lol. I wouldn’t know how to react.

I guess cis is all I have unless I’m at a game.

Which is fine.

I just figured my experiences could be some of the reasons why cane fans get a bum wrap. Then there’s the the blue lot douches lol. That’s a whole different conversation.
I don't know any FSU/UF fans that aren't alumni. Maybe some kids in high school but pretty much every person I know that roots for Florida State went to school there.
Please you need to get out more. Go to a game in trailerhassee, you will see that this is much more prevalent there.

I am but your right! Let me apology for my complaining.

Sorry for pointing out how bad we looked horrible vs a 1-7 injury riddled UNC team.
Sorry for complaining about a Syracuse team who is horrific at running the ball running for 250 yards on our 'elite" defense.
Sorry I don't think Rosier is a power 5 QB.
Sorry for thinking our defense is average because most numbers (plus the eye test) says so
Sorry for wanting better run defense and 3rd down defense.
Sorry for wanting the ability to stop 3rd and short and convert 3rd and short
Sorry for thinking our O-line is bad

Most importantly, sorry for not thinking we were the best team on the planet of the earth when we started 10-0. Your right, questioning the legitimacy of our 10-0 start.. fighting to the last man against our gauntlet of a schedule that consisted of a close victories vs bowl-less G.Tech, bowl-less Syracuse, bowl-less UNC, should-of-been bowl-less FSU, and a lost to bowl-less Pitt. Tough, TOUGH schedule. How dare I.
And we rest our case. Got some news for ya, there were fans in 2001 complaining till we won in the Rose bowl, fans like you. Take a HIKE!

people hate Miami because they brought color to the NCAA.Color that whipped the azzes of the rest of the NCAA.

say what you want.Blame it on what you want but Howard changed the landscape of college football when he went into the projects and brought out all the studs that lived there who up until that point had been mostly overlooked.

Was there AA in CFB before then? Of course but not to the point where 80-90% were AA.Howard didn't worry about percentages.He worried about winning.Something Miami hadn't done much of up until he took over.

After other schools saw what he did and how he did it they had no choice but to start recruiting those areas.

That's why fans hate Miami.Miami brought the black athlete and their speed to CFB in mass.

To say something positive about canes fans - the ones who actually go to games, not the pretend ones who post on message boards but otherwise don’t do anything else to support the team - I think we’re the most inclusive group of canes anywhere.

Another poster said it before, but it‘s worth repeating. Where else will you see a neurosurgeon high fiving someone from the hood, next to an ex cane, sitting behind a housewife from the suburbs talking trash, a ****** guy bltching about no holding calls, a Cuban raising **** about the play calling, a Haitian dude telling him to be patient, and so on.....only at a Canes game ....and everybody loving the Canes. Everybody sitting together, no problems.

Think you’re seeing that at the swamp, or anywhere else?
No, our cultural diversity is unique. In Swampland the Neurosurgeon would be high fiving a no teeth trailer inhabitant!

Advertisement
Make all the fun you desire. Probably been a Cane longer than you've been on the planet. You're correct about Lewis. He was drafted in 2000. Reed was drafted in 2002.
Ed Reed
Defense Year Team GP Tackles For Loss Passes Def Int FF 1998Miami11902.07241999Miami12744.04202000Miami11800.023802001Miami11441.01890College Totals452887.052214
you kinda sound like the very fans we're making fun of in this thread

jamal lewis and ed reed? Lewis had been in the nfl for some time at that point, and reed was gone as well.

without looking, I'll say it was travis stephens and either sean taylor that tackled him or sikes ( probably sikes )
Wrong - Kelly Jennings number 22.

On the issue of fans not going to the school, look no further than Notre Dame. Plenty of fans didnt go there.

Not that it matters AT ALL.

So, a 13 year old cant be a fan because he hasnt gone to the school? Ridiculous.

They hate us when we are good, we stick it in their face.

We wouldnt have it any other way.

Its actually good for business to have those types of fans and it means your a successful program. Im pretty sure there new patriot fans out the wood work and theres bama fans all over. Who cares if they dont know the players as long as they watch the games and help that specific school. Not everyone is a die hard and invested as much as others thats something that happens in all categories of life whether its religion politics and alot of other things. Some are super interested and some r but dont know anything about wjats going on and some dont give a ****.

Please you need to get out more. Go to a game in trailerhassee, you will see that this is much more prevalent there.
I've been there. It's a dump. I likely won't ever go back. Maybe up there there are tons of non-alum fans. I don't live up there. I don't really care. All I said was every FSU fan I know went to school there. I wasn't speaking for hordes of north florida hillbillies.

Advertisement
I've been there. It's a dump. I likely won't ever go back. Maybe up there there are tons of non-alum fans. I don't live up there. I don't really care. All I said was every FSU fan I know went to school there. I wasn't speaking for hordes of north florida hillbillies.
Well that was not our point, we were talking about fanbases as a whole, not your personal friends.

Never understood the "did you go to school there?" argument because rooting interests are largely regional.

If your from South Florida, why the **** wouldn't you root for Miami in all sports?

... usually uttered by an alumnus of one of the prestigious institutions of higher learning in the north of the state.

I think there are fans "that didn't even go to the school" at just about every one of them. I live about halfway between UTK and Vag Tech. The "didn't even go to school there fans" are the worst by far.
Whoa...are you in Bristol?

Advertisement
Well that was not our point, we were talking about fanbases as a whole, not your personal friends.
Re read my original post you quoted. I was talking about people I know. You must have misread that post or assumed I was talking about some other people, I'm not really sure. Work on the reading skills before you start calling people out for no reason.

Re read my original post you quoted. I was talking about people I know. You must have misread that post or assumed I was talking about some other people, I'm not really sure. Work on the reading skills before you start calling people out for no reason.
You need to focus on your reading skills. The post that started this debate about fans who do not go Um was this
"I think it's also because so few went to UM to begin with. The loudest, most obnoxious, foaming at the mouth types are the ones that could hardly get through high school, much less UM. They talk trash like their personal worth is on the line. Maybe it is, and that's pretty sad. "

We, not you were talking about the larger fanbase. Focus fella, the world is bigger than your narrow little prism. Geez. Read the whole darn thread - and yes you just got called out for a reason, capice?

Dude, you were either born into it, or you weren't. Both my parents were FSU grads (bless their hearts), but raised in Miami most of their lives. From the day I was born, it was the Canes, and then the Dolphins somewhere after that. I'm not one of those that has the idetic memory who can name dates and times and whatever from things in your life, but got **** if the history of Hurricanes football from 1977 on isn't a HUGE part of the history of my life. I didn't go to the U, but that doesn't mean ****. This is just my story, but it's also one that I share with a whole lot of people that I grew up with that never took a class at the U, but love the Canes as much as anything in life, have for as long as they can remember, and will until the day they die.

The Miami Hurricanes are Miami's Team. Period. End of story.
Almost exactly my past involvement with the U. And ironically, my step-son is a UM grad who won't miss a Fins game but will see Canes games if there's nothing else to do. He has Fins and a Star Wars tattoo, I have only Canes tattoos. I've worked with many UM grads that don't follow Canes sports, and I'm talking both men and women. To me Miami is all about he U period. My present wife of 11 years retired from UM so the Canes benefits were nice. My passion for the Canes goes back 5 decades, and I never took a single class there.

Advertisement
Back