Miami New Times: Why Everyone Hates Miami Hurricanes Fans

D

deleted7012

2. Why everyone hates Miami Hurricanes fans: It's relatively easy to figure out hatred for Miami Hurricanes fans: People hate winners, but they really hate winners who rub it in the losers' faces. For years, the Canes beat the ever-loving crap out of their opponents and then spiked the football on their corpses. Some refer to their style as classless, but the Hurricanes know it's just jealousy of their swagger. Either way, there are two groups of college football fans: Hurricanes fans, and everyone else.

Recently, Canes fans have given ammunition to their detractors by not showing up at games. Throughout the Al Golden era, the stadium was empty every Saturday. Now, after the Hurricanes have put two decent seasons in a row together, Hard Rock Stadium provides a home-field advantage again. That history is a bad look, but it's nothing new in Miami. If you win, fans come out. If you lose, well, you'll be lucky if we watch on TV.

Hurricanes fans are hated because of the reputation the program has earned over the years. That reputation is kicking other teams' asses and having fun while doing so. Sorry, not sorry.

Source: Here's Every Reason Why People Hate Miami Sports Fans

LOVE IT! GO CANES!!

Advertisement
Nah the real reason people hate Canes fan is because we talk trash as if we haven't been irrelevant for about 13 years thinking it still the late 80's-early 90's, and you would think with a fan base that talk so much trash that we'd actually go to the games win or lose. Nope, not unless we're winning which give people the impression that we're just a bunch of bandwagon fans who don't support the team/kids through thick and thin.

IDC what sport it is hockey, basketball, football, soccer, baseball NO ONE likes bandwagon fans who talk the most trash then when the team sucks again those "fans" disappear off the face of the earth and it back to half empty stadiums.

Last edited:
I think it's also because so few went to UM to begin with. The loudest, most obnoxious, foaming at the mouth types are the ones that could hardly get through high school, much less UM. They talk trash like their personal worth is on the line. Maybe it is, and that's pretty sad.

I think it's also because so few went to UM to begin with. The loudest, most obnoxious, foaming at the mouth types are the ones that could hardly get through high school, much less UM. They talk trash like their personal worth is on the line. Maybe it is, and that's pretty sad.
I think there are fans "that didn't even go to the school" at just about every one of them. I live about halfway between UTK and Vag Tech. The "didn't even go to school there fans" are the worst by far.

Advertisement
Never understood the "did you go to school there?" argument because rooting interests are largely regional.

If your from South Florida, why the **** wouldn't you root for Miami in all sports?

Because a lot of people only become college football fans when they go to college. A lot of people don't realize how much time and energy a fan has invested in his/her team before going to college. Look, my family was not nearly wealthy enough to afford UM's tuition. I still brought an antenna TV to UCF tailgate parties at the Citrus Bowl so I could watch UM football on game days. (I know, I just dated myself) I broke the TV when they lost to Washington in 2000.

With that said, Miami fans in general (not just UM) are among the most ignorant in America. They jump on and off bandwagons with no regard and will talk trash to anyone who doesn't agree with them. Even if the other party is making a valid point.

Here's my personal perspective. I will talk some light trash against rivals when UM wins. I have no reason to give random,over matched teams' fans a hard time unless they ask for it. I will NEVER get into a fight over a sports game (unless it's straight self-defense). Not a single dude on that field or member of that coaching staff is going to get into a fight over me, so I'm sure as **** not going to risk jail or injury over them.

Never understood the "did you go to school there?" argument because rooting interests are largely regional.

If your from South Florida, why the **** wouldn't you root for Miami in all sports?
I like the Denver Broncos. Never even been to Denver. Never going to go. I've been north of the Mason-Dixon once, Lexington, KY during February. They can keep it. If I have to move snow just to get out the door and into my car, I ain't ******* going to work.

evac line.jpg

Yes, but haven't you noticed all of the FSU and UF gear all over S. Fl? How about the NY Jets gear? There isn't the regional loyalty in S. Fl you get in other parts of the country.

We also have the entitlement aspect. It's not enough that Richt is a good coach, he "didn't win a National Championship" is one our fans often echo. Or how about "I'm not satisfied with a 10 win season/div title/conference title, I just want a National Championship!" followed by "Why should I have to pay for the IPF? The school has money!"

Advertisement
Yes, but haven't you noticed all of the FSU and UF gear all over S. Fl? How about the NY Jets gear? There isn't the regional loyalty in S. Fl you get in other parts of the country.

We also have the entitlement aspect. It's not enough that Richt is a good coach, he "didn't win a National Championship" is one our fans often echo. Or how about "I'm not satisfied with a 10 win season/div title/conference title, I just want a National Championship!" followed by "Why should I have to pay for the IPF? The school has money!"
Once you get to I-4 and south of it, a lot of people move down here from up north and such. Snowbirds taking over

Oh I understand it. I'm from Florida and was a Dolphins fan. When I found out about the other team in Miami I naturally became a fan.

Our problem is so many of our fans attached themselves to the program for reasons that had little to do with football, and more to do with an image. Vanilla Ice comes to mind. Luke. Nevin Shapiro. All of them looking to gain something from the UM image. People thinking that wearing a UM jacket made you tough. You know the type. Miami has more of those fans than anyone.

Advertisement

Exactly. Using that same logic then NFL teams wouldn't have a fan base because most people have never worked for NFL teams, never played for NFL teams, never worked with an NFL team. Most NFL fans only connection with their NFL team is that it is located in their state/city.

****, I saw Jets, Bills, and many college team colors 50 years ago growing up in Hollywood. All the people who migrated into the state from the NE and the mid-atlantic had already established loyalties to other teams/colleges. This phenomenon is one of the main reasons all Miami teams have had a difficult time establishing loyal fanbases.

Advertisement

You could say that about any college fanbase, especially the three in florida. Most fsu fans you meet in Tallahassee didn't go there. It's just easy to pick on miami and uf fans for that because A.) the cost of tuition and B.) acceptance requirements, as opposed to fsu. Couple that with the small amount Miami graduates every year compared to the other two and you get the worst of both sides.

That's not how it is in Atlanta at all. Most the hate either goes to Bama, Florida, ND, Ohio State, and UGA. Bama because of the obnoxious bandwagon fans and Florida because the jorts wearers are rivals with the in state team. Though UGA fans out number the rest, they are the ones hated by every other base. Its pretty understandable when you realize they believe grown men barking at people is an acceptable thing to do. I never hear anyone throwing shade at Miami here.

There’s also a lot of anti-cane resentment from certain local cliques in Broward.

Exists in Palm Beach as well, but in a broader sense. There’s some real haters among coaches and others in Broward. Has been for a long time.

The only way to really savor FB.
Invest emotionally in a team.
Said team on a championship run,, after years of disappointment.
How it happened to me in 1983.
How sweet it was,& is..

Advertisement
Back