Miami New Times: Why Everyone Hates Miami Hurricanes Fans

I live in the same area

one fan had a santana moss jersey back in bike week and I told him moss was one of my favorite players. He responded ( already knowing at that point I was a serious fan ), "how did you know it was a moss jersey?" Which should have been my first clue

My 2nd clue was when he told me al golden was a good coach

Another fan works out at my gym which I'd consider a die hard. All he really is a die hard at running his **** mouth. I don't even like talking to him anymore because he'll try and turn the convo into a 30 minute one while I'm trying to get work done there. Him and an fsu fan almost got into it one day up there because he was non-stop talking trash about fsu in a pretty sh*t manner. It was so bad I was starting to side with the fsu fan, yes that bad..

I have so many stories , from guys with pimped out cane cars , cane gear , cane tags etc. Then I talk with them five minutes and they don’t even know who we play the next Saturday.

I’ve also had the “ Al Golden is a good coach” guy too.

I did come across a cane fan that was very knowledgeable 10-15 years ago. He knew the games , the players , results and so on. Right before I hugged him with excitement he hit me with “ I’m a Gaytor fan at basketball though”. Right then I was done with him. That was just unacceptable , it’s bad enough he wasn’t a cane fan at b-ball, but a gaytor fan on top of it.

But to be fair a high percentage of all fans are clueless. They just want to be apart of something.

Advertisement
I went to high school in Broward from 94-97. This was during the "probation years" at Miami and FSU and UF were playing each other for national championships. Plenty of kids were rooting for those schools because, well, they were very good at the time. Plus, by the time I was a senior, people started getting involved with the schools that they were accepted to. There were plenty of people at my high school who never cared about college sports until they got that acceptance letter from UF or FSU. Still , there were a few dudes, like myself that kept the UM hope alive even though we were relegated to public school.
I never respected any kid that didn't root for a team until he got accepted to the school. How can you not follow the game until you're 17 or 18? Unacceptable.

Everywhere I go, without fail, people throw up the U when they see me rocking Miami gear. I don’t see that out of other fan bases.

Agree. I was parked at a traffic light when a truck on my left pulled out of a convenience store parking lot. I saw a "U" tag on front of the truck & threw up the "u" sign, which the driver threw back and then did a thumbs up. Also, recently was at Caps on the Water restaurant north of St. Augustine and sitting out on the desk when a young guy walked up with a Miami shirt on. I threw the "u" sign and both he and his buddy threw it back and yelled, Go 'Canes".

You are correct, I don't know of any other college football fan base that communicates so well or so passionately.

Agree. I was parked at a traffic light when a truck on my left pulled out of a convenience store parking lot. I saw a "U" tag on front of the truck & threw up the "u" sign, which the driver threw back and then did a thumbs up. Also, recently was at Caps on the Water restaurant north of St. Augustine and sitting out on the desk when a young guy walked up with a Miami shirt on. I threw the "u" sign and both he and his buddy threw it back and yelled, Go 'Canes".

You are correct, I don't know of any other college football fan base that communicates so well or so passionately.
I live in Savannah, GA so some UGA fan friends and I were lined up watching the St. Patty's Day parade--it's a pretty big deal if you're ever in the area around the 17th of March--and of course I had a Canes shirt on, nothing special, just a Hurricanes Athletics tee, and some dudes IN THE PARADE stopped to throw up the U, and my guy was like, "God****, man. Everywhere we go with you!"

**** right. WE BACK!

The reason people hate Miami is racism. We are the most multicultural school in Div 1. And not just white/black/hispanic. It's economic. We have kids from the projects with gold fillings and gold necklaces, or guys who literally lived on the streets before they got to their dorm rooms. We are from the South but represent everything the Southern Cross doesn't. And we're not apologetic about it. **** all those SEC teams and Notre Dame. Miami is the true America.

No, people disliked Miami because they broke the mold of what college football was and made no apologies for it. Every team has kids with fronts, dreads and the like.

Advertisement
I grew up a Cane fan in Oklahoma. Canes beat OU 3 times in the 80's. Took it to "The Boz". That hatred runs deep to this day. They still hate JJ out here. I've always had people say mean **** to me when wearing my Canes swag. Noone throws up the U to me. Recently had a conversation with a football Dad. Talking OU, Texas, OSU etc. He went off when I said I was a Cane fan. His mood went to hatred. He said I was living in the past. Really? I am? Cant wait to beat them again. We actually did in 09 but they dont remember that one. Hope its in a Championship game. They have 0 defense. Jarren Williams and Co. will torch them. Go Canes.

I grew up a Cane fan in Oklahoma. Canes beat OU 3 times in the 80's. Took it to "The Boz". That hatred runs deep to this day. They still hate JJ out here. I've always had people say mean **** to me when wearing my Canes swag. Noone throws up the U to me. Recently had a conversation with a football Dad. Talking OU, Texas, OSU etc. He went off when I said I was a Cane fan. His mood went to hatred. He said I was living in the past. Really? I am? Cant wait to beat them again. We actually did in 09 but they dont remember that one. Hope its in a Championship game. They have 0 defense. Jarren Williams and Co. will torch them. Go Canes.

Funny I was at a social gathering out on Montauk L.I. a few weeks back and I was having conversation with this guy and it turned to college football and he did the same 180, went from friendly to "Miami's a bunch of criminals" etc. It cracked me up, my wife gave me the 'don't get started look'.

Funny I was at a social gathering out on Montauk L.I. a few weeks back and I was having conversation with this guy and it turned to college football and he did the same 180, went from friendly to "Miami's a bunch of criminals" etc. It cracked me up, my wife gave me the 'don't get started look'.
My wife has given me the exact same look multiple times.

Advertisement
Got a new store manager in the Lowes I work in part time. Found out from some co-workers that knew him he was originally from Miami. First conversation with him the subject came up about where we were from originally. His father used to own a muffler shop on 27th Ave in N. Miami Beach about 2 blocks from the iconic Coppertone sign - the one that has the dog pulling at the little girls bikini bottom. He said he was a huge Canes fan! Couple of weeks later, he comes in the store with a pastel orange shirt on. I told him we had to get him a new shirt. One that was Canes orange. He said it was Gaytor orange. I told him there's no way in **** he could be a gaytor fan AND a Canes fan! Fortunately, he has a great sense of humor!

Got a new store manager in the Lowes I work in part time. Found out from some co-workers that knew him he was originally from Miami. First conversation with him the subject came up about where we were from originally. His father used to own a muffler shop on 27th Ave in N. Miami Beach about 2 blocks from the iconic Coppertone sign - the one that has the dog pulling at the little girls bikini bottom. He said he was a huge Canes fan! Couple of weeks later, he comes in the store with a pastel orange shirt on. I told him we had to get him a new shirt. One that was Canes orange. He said it was Gaytor orange. I told him there's no way in **** he could be a gaytor fan AND a Canes fan! Fortunately, he has a great sense of humor!

I went to Sara's restaurant right there all the time as a kid.

I went to UM but always thought of the U as a city of Miami team. Maybe it is less so these days, but my whole family was raised canes fans on both sides even though only my grandmother and I went there. My dad was at the 83 Orange Bowl and said people around the city were honking their horns for days afterwards. Despite being an alum I love having people from all across South Florida and all walks of life root for us.

When I was growing up in NC as a nerdy white kid black guys would say whats up because of my Miami starter jacket. Let's be honest, that was probably peak coolness for me. Not sure any other team brings people together like that.

Advertisement
I went to UM but always thought of the U as a city of Miami team. Maybe it is less so these days, but my whole family was raised canes fans on both sides even though only my grandmother and I went there. My dad was at the 83 Orange Bowl and said people around the city were honking their horns for days afterwards. Despite being an alum I love having people from all across South Florida and all walks of life root for us.

When I was growing up in NC as a nerdy white kid black guys would say whats up because of my Miami starter jacket. Let's be honest, that was probably peak coolness for me. Not sure any other team brings people together like that.

It still is, for many people, a city of Miami team.

That loyalty does not extend to Broward in the slightest. For a few yes. But like I said previously, there’s some well established, long lived, anti-Miami cliques/groups in Broward. It’s why we have such a hard time recruiting there sometimes for an area so close.

Because a lot of people only become college football fans when they go to college. A lot of people don't realize how much time and energy a fan has invested in his/her team before going to college. Look, my family was not nearly wealthy enough to afford UM's tuition. I still brought an antenna TV to UCF tailgate parties at the Citrus Bowl so I could watch UM football on game days. (I know, I just dated myself) I broke the TV when they lost to Washington in 2000.

With that said, Miami fans in general (not just UM) are among the most ignorant in America. They jump on and off bandwagons with no regard and will talk trash to anyone who doesn't agree with them. Even if the other party is making a valid point.

Here's my personal perspective. I will talk some light trash against rivals when UM wins. I have no reason to give random,over matched teams' fans a hard time unless they ask for it. I will NEVER get into a fight over a sports game (unless it's straight self-defense). Not a single dude on that field or member of that coaching staff is going to get into a fight over me, so I'm sure as **** not going to risk jail or injury over them.

Miami is a tough city so I'm inclined to agree with you. I have news for you .People don't Ike Miami fans in part because people don't like Miami period. If you don't believe me just move away and see how people react when you say you're from Miami. Our fans are tough including me. When we went to Knoxville to see Dorsey led Miami crush Tennessee some years ago I made friends with some of the Tenn. fans. They started leaving the beginning of the fourth quarter when the game was out of reach. I asked them why they were leaving. They responded "Wouldn't you?"" I said no. If our team stunk up the place like Tenn. did that day we would let them know how we felt and boo them to the final gun. Butch once said He wouldn't have if any other way. Fans should not be happy when the team plays poorly. We certainly aren't. That's Miami. Us against the world then and now.

Miami is a tough city so I'm inclined to agree with you. I have news for you .People don't Ike Miami fans in part because people don't like Miami period. If you don't believe me just move away and see how people react when you say you're from Miami. Our fans are tough including me. When we went to Knoxville to see Dorsey led Miami crush Tennessee some years ago I made friends with some of the Tenn. fans. They started leaving the beginning of the fourth quarter when the game was out of reach. I asked them why they were leaving. They responded "Wouldn't you?"" I said no. If our team stunk up the place like Tenn. did that day we would let them know how we felt and boo them to the final gun. Butch once said He wouldn't have if any other way. Fans should not be happy when the team plays poorly. We certainly aren't. That's Miami. Us against the world then and now.
Oh, I lived in Orlando for four years. I know exactly how people feel about the city. Most central Florida rednecks would prefer that everything south of the lake just form it's own state. I've literally heard people say "be careful if you go down there, you're outnumbered". The funny thing is there's parts of Orlando that are just as crime infested as the worst parts of Miami but people up there think the whole city is a giant hood.

Advertisement
Oh, I lived in Orlando for four years. I know exactly how people feel about the city. Most central Florida rednecks would prefer that everything south of the lake just form it's own state. I've literally heard people say "be careful if you go down there, you're outnumbered". The funny thing is there's parts of Orlando that are just as crime infested as the worst parts of Miami but people up there think the whole city is a giant hood.

Orange Blossom Trail says "Hi"

'jomar does make a good point, people love to take shots at Miami for some reason, reminds me of the Animal House line "you can't do that to our pledges, only we can do that to our pledges"

Why do people hate Miami fans?

Numerous reasons, and what real Miami fan really cares why.

Just like every other school we've got a huge number that never attended or even ever went to a game. So what?

People choose what teams they follow for reasons ranging from I like the colors, like their attitude , I like that they're winners .......and I'm an Alum.

The only issues I have are with the ones with unrealistic expectations, for example; the ones who expect more from our players than they'd ever expect or be able to deliver themselves. I also realize that Bandwagons do exist but support of any team doesn't determine your personal worth

Last edited:
Why does everyone hate Miami fans? Because we're some motherfùckin Canes.
8445e009bdd8c45e372f7bad30826093.jpg

miami-texas-cotton-bowl2.jpg

I was there @mianjomar. 1st play from scrimmage, Jamal Lewis breaks free and gets to the 3 yd line caught by Ed Reed. I thought "OH ****"! They had to settle for a field goal and then we put the hammer to them the rest of the way! .

Advertisement
Back