Miami New Times: Why Everyone Hates Miami Hurricanes Fans

I’ll be honest , living in North Central Fla I can say most of the cane fans I’ve come across here are idiots , they can’t name any players or know anything about the team.

Over the years I’d get excited to see a cane fan around here, start talkin canes then immediately realized it’s just another idiot that just wears the gear or has the tags on the ride. I just gave up on it. I’m a cane fan with a negative outlook on cane fans lol, at least the ones around here.

If I came across a knowledgeable cane fan in person around town I’d probably start stalking them lol. I wouldn’t know how to react.

I guess cis is all I have unless I’m at a game.

Which is fine.

I just figured my experiences could be some of the reasons why cane fans get a bum wrap. Then there’s the the blue lot douches lol. That’s a whole different conversation.

Advertisement
I’ll be honest , living in North Central Fla I can say most of the cane fans I’ve come across here are idiots , they can’t name any players or know anything about the team.

Over the years I’d get excited to see a cane fan around here, start talkin canes then immediately realized it’s just another idiot that just wears the gear or has the tags on the ride. I just gave up on it. I’m a cane fan with a negative outlook on cane fans lol, at least the ones around here.

If I came across a knowledgeable cane fan in person around town I’d probably start stalking them lol. I wouldn’t know how to react.

Which is fine.

I just figured my experiences could be some of the reasons why cane fans get a bum wrap. Then there’s the the blue lot douches lol. That’s a whole different conversation.

Dude, go to the game watch parties in Altamonte. We know our s$&@.

Dude, go to the game watch parties in Altamonte. We know our s$&@.

I’m more north, Gainesville / High Springs / Lake City areas. I ran into one guy who hits the watch parties in Jax , but even he sounded suspect lol. Didn’t even know the Orange Bowl day or time which instantly rubbed me wrong.

I live in the heart of Vol and Hokie country and I've been pleasantly surprised to come across some die-hard Canes. One in particular goes to at least 2 or 3 football games a year and 2 or 3 BB games a year. Whenever I run into him, my wife goes shopping for a couple of hours because she knows it'll be a while that my fellow Cane and I will be talking shop!

Oh I understand it. I'm from Florida and was a Dolphins fan. When I found out about the other team in Miami I naturally became a fan.

Our problem is so many of our fans attached themselves to the program for reasons that had little to do with football, and more to do with an image. Vanilla Ice comes to mind. Luke. Nevin Shapiro. All of them looking to gain something from the UM image. People thinking that wearing a UM jacket made you tough. You know the type. Miami has more of those fans than anyone.

Oakland/LA Raiders own that title.

Advertisement
Everywhere I go, without fail, people throw up the U when they see me rocking Miami gear. I don’t see that out of other fan bases.

I don't know any FSU/UF fans that aren't alumni. Maybe some kids in high school but pretty much every person I know that roots for Florida State went to school there.

Everywhere I go, without fail, people throw up the U when they see me rocking Miami gear. I don’t see that out of other fan bases.
Most CFB fans know about the "U". It's one of the most recognizable symbols there is. Some have tried to imitate it - Wisconsin with the W comes to mind - but none can replicate it.

I don't know any FSU/UF fans that aren't alumni. Maybe some kids in high school but pretty much every person I know that roots for Florida State went to school there.
I've actually run into a few semenhole fans here in UTK country and asked them how/why they're fans and they all respond "I don't know why, I just like them." Imagine that!

Advertisement
Near opposite for me.

I went to high school in Broward and UF/FSU fans outnumbered the Canes fans. I don’t know the numbers today but it wouldn’t surprise me if there are more Florida and Florida State alumni in Broward and WPB than there are Miami alumni. It also wouldn’t surprise me if they outnumbered Canes alumni in Dade. They have a lot of alumni in Florida.
When were you in high school? I went to high school in Broward in the late 90's and Miami fans outnumbered UF fans which outnumbered F$U fans at my school.

They hate us cuz they ain't us plain and simple.

So what if there are fans who didn't attend school. Every school has fans who didn't attend the school and Miami just has more bc they are small school in big city. But when you consider really how important the team was in uniting the city during rough times in the 80s and 90s, what is there to hate? Being an alum myself, I look at fans who didn't attend as equal or sometimes better fans bc of that connection.

Every team has trouble filling seats when they suck idc who you are. ****, the packers almost had to file for bankruptcy and move the team in the 80s and that is considered one of the most loyal and non-fair weather team in sports. Some are a bit more "Suckcession" proof than others sure, but so being extra pathetic or living in an area that literally has nothing else to do makes their fans "better"?? I hate when teams brag about things like spring football attendance. To me it's like bragging about *********ing instead of getting laid. Just another easy bs target for the haters to bash Miami.

Recently we have been living in the past, but our past is legit AF and should be respected and anyone who rips on us for that just wishes they had our history and our ships.

Advertisement
Didn't read the op, just wanted to chime in...

I fckin hate Gaytor fans, hate'em, can't fckin stand'em.

That is all, carry on.

Which is fine.

I live in the same area

one fan had a santana moss jersey back in bike week and I told him moss was one of my favorite players. He responded ( already knowing at that point I was a serious fan ), "how did you know it was a moss jersey?" Which should have been my first clue

My 2nd clue was when he told me al golden was a good coach

Another fan works out at my gym which I'd consider a die hard. All he really is a die hard at running his **** mouth. I don't even like talking to him anymore because he'll try and turn the convo into a 30 minute one while I'm trying to get work done there. Him and an fsu fan almost got into it one day up there because he was non-stop talking trash about fsu in a pretty sh*t manner. It was so bad I was starting to side with the fsu fan, yes that bad..

I like the Denver Broncos. Never even been to Denver. Never going to go. I've been north of the Mason-Dixon once, Lexington, KY during February. They can keep it.

Lexington, KY???

BREAKING NEWS: You still haven't been north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Advertisement
Nah the real reason people hate Canes fan is because we talk trash as if we haven't been irrelevant for about 13 years thinking it still the late 80's-early 90's, and you would think with a fan base that talk so much trash that we'd actually go to the games win or lose. Nope, not unless we're winning which give people the impression that we're just a bunch of bandwagon fans who don't support the team/kids through thick and thin.

IDC what sport it is hockey, basketball, football, soccer, baseball NO ONE likes bandwagon fans who talk the most trash then when the team sucks again those "fans" disappear off the face of the earth and it back to half empty stadiums.

Man Shut yo Soft *** up

When were you in high school? I went to high school in Broward in the late 90's and Miami fans outnumbered UF fans which outnumbered F$U fans at my school.
I went to high school in Broward from 94-97. This was during the "probation years" at Miami and FSU and UF were playing each other for national championships. Plenty of kids were rooting for those schools because, well, they were very good at the time. Plus, by the time I was a senior, people started getting involved with the schools that they were accepted to. There were plenty of people at my high school who never cared about college sports until they got that acceptance letter from UF or FSU. Still , there were a few dudes, like myself that kept the UM hope alive even though we were relegated to public school.

The reason people hate Miami is racism. We are the most multicultural school in Div 1. And not just white/black/hispanic. It's economic. We have kids from the projects with gold fillings and gold necklaces, or guys who literally lived on the streets before they got to their dorm rooms. We are from the South but represent everything the Southern Cross doesn't. And we're not apologetic about it. **** all those SEC teams and Notre Dame. Miami is the true America.

Advertisement
Back