Miami Evaluating New DB

A 4.69 is actually very solid for a HS junior. Add in an elite vertical and great shuttle. What was his size height/weight?

Edit*: nevermind, saw he's listed at 6' 2" 190.
4.69 very solid for a DB ? There are LBs faster than that

Try again.

Guys like Deon Bush, Keanu Neal and Jayron Kearse all ran 4.6s at the combine. 4.69 is fine as a high school junior.
but guys like Deon Bush and even Dallas Crawford were listed as running 4.45/4.5s in high school...in fact SB nation did a study that showed 150 out 203 players studied ran a slower time than their high school number...so according to your arguement we're looking at a solid 4.75/4.8 from this kid

Hopefully the listing is wrong I just dont aee how a 4.69 is solid, especially when these numbers are usually exaggerated not the other way around

High School times are exaggerated. Sparq and Nike Opening times are done by laser. You can't judge a recruit of 1 time anyway there's too many factors.

Poor field?
Has the kid been trained to run the 40? Getting off the block etc?
Wind aided?
Was he 100% healthy?

His vert and shuttle were elite so that indicates the 40 can be improved upon.

Advertisement
Remember that big comparison post either Carolcityhigh or 1953 put up about how many people break 4.50 at those Nike Combines. If he did 4.69--as a junior that is OK The vertical and the short shuttle show a guy that is faster than 4.69. How much?

That aside he is listed at 6-2 and 190-195 so has the side.

The one thing I recall about him was a little academic/grade trouble. May or may not be true.

Remember that big comparison post either Carolcityhigh or 1953 put up about how many people break 4.50 at those Nike Combines. If he did 4.69--as a junior that is OK The vertical and the short shuttle show a guy that is faster than 4.69. How much?

The one thing I recall about him was a little academic/grade trouble. May or may not be true.

That statement about academic is interesting as his offers are not the greatest and schools like Samford Middle Tenn. State and Liberty did not offer him.
Tariq Carpenter Recruit Interests

Here are his track bests and they were all done in 2016--
Personal Records
100m - 13.27
High Jump - 5-8
Long Jump - 19-7
Triple Jump - 39-7

This player is questionable in some areas---maybe why few offers

Last edited:
Really good shuttle and VJ.

This is a nice find by the coaching staff. With Paris Ford looking unlikely, this could be a viable replacement for Billy Gibson.

The recruiting newbies seem to forget that some kids slip through the cracks and that our staff is constantly evaluating and resetting the board.

Kid has off the charts athletic ability.

Tariq Carpenter ESPN COMBINE SPARQ RATING
4.69 40 yard dash
4.10 20 yard shuttle
42 inch vert
34 foot power throw
115.15 SPARQ RATING

The 4.69 is not great but it could have been a slow track or something. The kid is an all state caliber high, long and triple jumper.

Haven't watched film but this is the type of physical ability you want.

He did participate in the Charlotte Nike Combine on April 24, 2016--
Carpenter, Tariq-- 17-- DB-- Long County-- GA-- 6-2(H)-- 188(W)-- 4.69(40)-- 4.1(SS)-- 34(PB)-- 42(Vert)-- 114.15(SPARQ)

Hist SPARQ was 5th of the 267 invited who attended
vertical--- 4th best
short shuttle--3rd best

That day they ran the 40 in Charlotte condition must have been bad. Only one person broke 4.50. Maybe into a head wind, wet, slick, etc. As here are the top 10 40 times--I ahev highlighted the shuttle in red and vertical in blue

This kid Carpenter has a short shuttle and vertical up with the fastest.

Matthews, Jae'vion 17 WR York (SC) SC 6-0 171 4.48 4.41 32 30.5 83.85
Graham, Edmond 17 WR Mill Creek GA 5-9 161 4.53 4.33 33 41.5 101.61
Braswell, Christian 17 DB Friendship DC 5-10 161 4.55 4.26 32 39 97.05
Askew, Jaytlin 17 DB McEachern GA 5-9 187 4.56 4.24 33.5 37 103.05
Richardson, Kerryon 17 DB Airport SC 5-10 156 4.56 4.27 32 40 97.05

that 13.27--100m may be possible the only time he ran the event and pulled up for some reason and did not go all out. Would be interesting to see if he ran the 100m more than once that resulted in that poor time.

Last edited:
Advertisement

That statement about academic is interesting as his offers are not the greatest and schools like Samford Middle Tenn. State and Liberty did not offer him.

Personal Records
100m - 13.27
High Jump - 5-8
Long Jump - 19-7
Triple Jump - 39-7

Well, color me shocked at a 13.27 in the 100. I have no idea how he can do that and run a 4.69 40 without some weird occurrence in the 100.

Personal Records
100m - 13.27
High Jump - 5-8
Long Jump - 19-7
Triple Jump - 39-7

Well, color me shocked at a 13.27 in the 100. I have no idea how he can do that and run a 4.69 40 without some weird occurrence in the 100.

I agree...

Advertisement
I don't see the suddenness in his tape. Looks very slow for a DB. Compare to Shawn Davis for example

Go find me a legitimate track or combine time for Shawn Davis.

You can't.

I have much bigger concerns about Shawn Davis than Carpenter.

He definitely can play with that being said, at this point if we plan on taking 4 safeties in the 2018 class ain't no point in taking this kid.

He definitely can play with that being said, at this point if we plan on taking 4 safeties in the 2018 class ain't no point in taking this kid.

Yep...would be surprised if we offered him.

I understand going after Ford and Davis but to settle on this kid seems unnecessary.

Advertisement
So yall gonna tell me these late reaches arent the same thing Golden doing? Robert Knowles anyone?

Golden reached on kids late so that he could field a team after everyone he wanted told Miami to stuff it up their noses.

I don't think we should offer this kid by any means but we're good at this position either way imo.

Advertisement
A 4.69 is actually very solid for a HS junior. Add in an elite vertical and great shuttle. What was his size height/weight?

Edit*: nevermind, saw he's listed at 6' 2" 190.
4.69 very solid for a DB ? There are LBs faster than that

You obviously don't know much about recruiting.
yeah i guess i dont know anything about recruiting because im tired of having slow dbs

Go look up the sparq combine and tell me how many HS juniors ran under a 4.55. Bet you'll be surprised. 4.1 shuttle and 42 vert indicate he's a quick twitch explosive athlete he probably just needs some training to run a 40.

He doesn't need training to run a 40 because the 40 isn't part of football competition. Compare his time to other guys at the same event the same day. And watch his games to see if he plays fast. Mastering the 40 won't do jack **** for his football skills.

We should take a hard pass on this kid. Just my opinion but his tape does not look Miami quality and that 100m time is slow.

Personal Records
100m - 13.27
High Jump - 5-8
Long Jump - 19-7
Triple Jump - 39-7

Unless they threw a couple hurdles on that 100m track that 13.27 speaks volumes. Thanks, Rand.

Advertisement
Back