Mark walton getting some national praise

Here's the problem with the stats Brock posting and saying Walton is going for 1,400 yards.....

1) 55 of Walton's 98 yards came in the one run late in the Pitt game when he, shocker, started the run by running into his own Offensive Lineman.

2) Against P5 Teams - Walton's first 15 games he averaged 3.11 yds rush with 6 TD's. In his last 2 P5 games he averaged 3.7 ypc.

So the argument for Walton is to ignore 17 of those games and judge him on 3 of them?

Walton has averaged 3.5 ypc in 16 of the 26 games he's played in. There's no chance....0%....that he will rush for 1.400 yards this year. Zero.

You conveniently didn't mention his 120 yards 2 tds vs ncstate who had the best rushing defense we played against last year ranked in the top 5 in the country. Also had mark waltons td vs fsu not been called back he woud have even better numbers. He will be leaned on even more this year with yearby and Edwards gone

Mark Walton played a great game against NC St. He actually had 3 TD's in that game. The 24 yd TD run in that game was IMO his most impressive run ever. I would 100% be on board with Walton if I thought that's how he could consistently play. But I've seen too many games to know that game was an outlier.

Here's his YPC vs Power 5 games in his career:

3.6+ YPC - Pitt, NC St., UVA, UVA, Duke, Duke (6 Games. He averaged over 5.0 ypc in 4 of them)
3.5 or less YPC - Nebraska, FSU, FSU, VT, VT, Clemson, UNC, UNC, GT, GT, Pitt, Wash St., ND, WVU (14 Games. He averaged under 3.0 ypc in 7 of them)

What I don't understand is - Why you would only concentrate on his 2 good games against good teams (Pitt & NC St.) and ignore the 14 other ones? Why would you point out the 1 run called back against FSU or 1 run called back against Nebraska and ignore the 200+ runs that weren't called back?

Here's the list of Miami RB's ever to have 1,400 yd seasons - McGahee, Edge, Duke

Do you really think Mark Walton is going to join that list?

TBH, it's not inconceivable. My guess is that Brock's adding in the ACCCG, and I don't think we had 12 regular-season games when McGahee and Edge played. So Walton will have more games to get there. And we really need him to average 100 ypgs this year to take pressure off the QB. I'm sure Richt is hoping he can be more balanced this year, and will give him the load if he can handle it.

I'm with you that Walton has bad vision. On the other hand, he HAS had a lot of big plays called back, much more than typical, and I believe all of them were either phantom penalties or not meaningful to his runs. If you added those in, his ypc's would look a lot better. Plus, he really did improve year-on-year between 2015 and 2016, as well as in-season last year during 2016. That's unusual for a feature back. So there's hope there he'll take one final step.

2016 - There were 70 players had 1,000 yds rushing. Walton's 5.34 ypc ranked 49th out of 70. He had just an average ypc, not a good one.
2015 - Of the Top 250 players in rushing yds, Walton's 3.49 ypc ranked 242nd out of 250. His 2016 ypc improvement was a jump from god awful to average.

I could roll out stat after stat after stat after stat about Walton. No one's going to pay attention. People would rather believe the bad OL, bad play calling, he has a ton of plays called back excuses. It is what it is.

But let's just look at the called back FSU run, which people always seem to want to use as an example of Walton's best run, and then I'll stfu on Walton (at least until the season starts).

Yes - the run would've improved his ypc. Yes - he showed incredible balance on this run.

But Yes - Walton, running at full speed, gets yanked to the ground with one hand by Ermon Lane. That should not happen, especially on one of your "best" runs. And that's why Walton is just an average RB.

[video]https://j.gifs.com/3lPMMr.gif[/video]

Walton isn't elite, but neither is he average. 1000yds rushing is well above average.

Advertisement
Are you arguing that Walton isn't elite?

Is it that Walton and Yearbt are equal, and neither is elite?

Or is it Yearby is better than Walton?

I'm arguing neither is elite. I think both are solid college RB's, but NFL journeyman at best.

I think Yearby is better, but it's close. I can see it if you think Walton is better. I can't see it if you think Walton is significantly better.

I didn't think Yearby was a stud when he ran for 1,000 yds in 2015. I don't think Walton is a stud because he ran for 1,000 yds in 2016.

I don't think being the starting RB at Miami automatically makes you a stud. I think it means you're the best of what we've got on the roster.

I think both Yearby & Walton are below the level of talent we should want/expect from a workhorse RB at Miami.

Walton isn't elite, but neither is he average. 1000yds rushing is well above average.

2015 - Yearby gained 1,000 yds. He had 200+ carries. 50 of the 53 players who had 200+ carries in 2015 gained 1,000 yds (94%).
2016 - Walton gained 1,000 yds. He had 200+ carries. 44 of the 51 players who had 200+ carries in 2016 gained 1,000 yds (86%).

If you get 200+ carries in a season, it's pretty hard not to gain 1,000 yds.

The bigger problem is that Yearby & Walton are getting as many carries as they are.

[MENTION=1107]bshaw28[/MENTION] Where is Walton at in terms of TD's with those top rushers

Walton is really good here.

His 14 TD's were tied for 26th in the NCAA. His TD's per carry were 24th.

He scored a TD every 14.9 carries which is great.

His TD's per carry were basically the same as Yearby (14.6), and better than Fournette (16.13), McCaffery (19.4), Cook (15.6), Mixon (18.7)

YPC & TD's Per Carry are, IMO, the 2 best metrics to look for in a RB. Just for their running ability, not counting how they are as a receiver or anything else. But a RB's main responsibility should be to run the ball.

"In general" - the baselines you want in an "elite" RB the college level are:

YPC - 5.5
TD's Per Carry - 20 or less

You conveniently didn't mention his 120 yards 2 tds vs ncstate who had the best rushing defense we played against last year ranked in the top 5 in the country. Also had mark waltons td vs fsu not been called back he woud have even better numbers. He will be leaned on even more this year with yearby and Edwards gone

Mark Walton played a great game against NC St. He actually had 3 TD's in that game. The 24 yd TD run in that game was IMO his most impressive run ever. I would 100% be on board with Walton if I thought that's how he could consistently play. But I've seen too many games to know that game was an outlier.

3.6+ YPC - Pitt, NC St., UVA, UVA, Duke, Duke (6 Games. He averaged over 5.0 ypc in 4 of them)
3.5 or less YPC - Nebraska, FSU, FSU, VT, VT, Clemson, UNC, UNC, GT, GT, Pitt, Wash St., ND, WVU (14 Games. He averaged under 3.0 ypc in 7 of them)

What I don't understand is - Why you would only concentrate on his 2 good games against good teams (Pitt & NC St.) and ignore the 14 other ones? Why would you point out the 1 run called back against FSU or 1 run called back against Nebraska and ignore the 200+ runs that weren't called back?

Here's the list of Miami RB's ever to have 1,400 yd seasons - McGahee, Edge, Duke

TBH, it's not inconceivable. My guess is that Brock's adding in the ACCCG, and I don't think we had 12 regular-season games when McGahee and Edge played. So Walton will have more games to get there. And we really need him to average 100 ypgs this year to take pressure off the QB. I'm sure Richt is hoping he can be more balanced this year, and will give him the load if he can handle it.

I'm with you that Walton has bad vision. On the other hand, he HAS had a lot of big plays called back, much more than typical, and I believe all of them were either phantom penalties or not meaningful to his runs. If you added those in, his ypc's would look a lot better. Plus, he really did improve year-on-year between 2015 and 2016, as well as in-season last year during 2016. That's unusual for a feature back. So there's hope there he'll take one final step.

2016 - There were 70 players had 1,000 yds rushing. Walton's 5.34 ypc ranked 49th out of 70. He had just an average ypc, not a good one.
2015 - Of the Top 250 players in rushing yds, Walton's 3.49 ypc ranked 242nd out of 250. His 2016 ypc improvement was a jump from god awful to average.

I could roll out stat after stat after stat after stat about Walton. No one's going to pay attention. People would rather believe the bad OL, bad play calling, he has a ton of plays called back excuses. It is what it is.

But let's just look at the called back FSU run, which people always seem to want to use as an example of Walton's best run, and then I'll stfu on Walton (at least until the season starts).

Yes - the run would've improved his ypc. Yes - he showed incredible balance on this run.

But Yes - Walton, running at full speed, gets yanked to the ground with one hand by Ermon Lane. That should not happen, especially on one of your "best" runs. And that's why Walton is just an average RB.

It's not well above average or even above average if it takes you 200 carries to get there.

Advertisement
Here's the problem with the stats Brock posting and saying Walton is going for 1,400 yards.....

1) 55 of Walton's 98 yards came in the one run late in the Pitt game when he, shocker, started the run by running into his own Offensive Lineman.

2) Against P5 Teams - Walton's first 15 games he averaged 3.11 yds rush with 6 TD's. In his last 2 P5 games he averaged 3.7 ypc.

So the argument for Walton is to ignore 17 of those games and judge him on 3 of them?

Walton has averaged 3.5 ypc in 16 of the 26 games he's played in. There's no chance....0%....that he will rush for 1.400 yards this year. Zero.

Please stop trying to use Walton's true freshman season as part of your argument if you want to have any credibility. I agree he has bad vision at times, but he made huge improvements over the course of this past season and was much better than he was as a true freshman. If we have competent QB play this year, Walton will definitely run for around 1400 because the o-line is going to be much better.

Most players aren't anywhere near their potential as a true freshman, so stop with that nonsense. He's the best returning back in the ACC and will likely finish as top three as well, maybe even the best if he can keep improving his vision as he did in 2016.

Please stop trying to use Walton's true freshman season as part of your argument if you want to have any credibility. I agree he has bad vision at times, but he made huge improvements over the course of this past season and was much better than he was as a true freshman. If we have competent QB play this year, Walton will definitely run for around 1400 because the o-line is going to be much better.

Most players aren't anywhere near their potential as a true freshman, so stop with that nonsense. He's the best returning back in the ACC and will likely finish as top three as well, maybe even the best if he can keep improving his vision as he did in 2016.

This..... walton was a different back when you compare his 2015 film to his 2016 film. He will continue to improve

This..... walton was a different back when you compare his 2015 film to his 2016 film. He will continue to improve

OK - so let's throw Walton's entire Freshman season out. He was young and wasn't ready. Got it. But understand - you can't then reference any runs that were called back. You can't reference any good plays in 2015 if you're not willing to acknowledge any bad plays either.

2016 - First 3 games - FAMU, FAU, App St.

Walton goes 48 for 401, 8.4 ypc, 7 TD's. Has a 30+ run in all 3 games

2016 - Next 5 games - GT, FSU, UNC, VT, ND

Walton goes 82 for 248, 3.0 ypc, 2 TD's. His longest run is 16 yards
YTD Stats - 130 for 649, 5.0 ypc, 9 TD's

2016 - Next 3 games - Pitt, UVA, NC St.

Walton goes 49 for 356, 7.3 ypc, 5 TD's. He has a 25+ yd run in all 3 games
YTD Stats - 179 for 1,005, 5.6 ypc, 14 TD's

2016 - Next 2 games - Duke & WVU

Walton goes 30 for 112, 3.7 ypc, 0 TD's. He has a 22 yd run
YTD Stats - 209 for 1,117, 5.3 ypc, 14 TD's

Between the first carry in the App St. game and his last carry in the Pitt game, Walton had 110 carries for 334 yds, a 3.3 ypc, and 1 run over 20 yards. That's a pretty good chunk of the season where he just didn't play well.

So I'd say his 2016 was much better, no question, but still pretty inconsistent.

If he showed so much improvement in the first 3 games, what happened in the next 5? If he showed so much improvement in the next 3 games, what happened in the last 2?

To get to 1,400 yds in 2017 - Walton will need to average 100 yds per game, and we'll get to the ACCCG so that we play in 14 games.

So is the thought process - Walton was bad in every game his Freshman year, he was good in about 50% of his games his Sophomore year, so he'll be good in 100% of his games his Junior Year?

Last edited:
I have zero idea if Walton is a high round or middle round pick. But I'm certain he gets drafted and I think with his running improvement and his stellar special teams play he makes a roster and he sticks.

The other thing I'm certain about about is that [MENTION=1107]bshaw28[/MENTION] is that psycho ***** chick that Walton stopped smashing last year and then tried to jam him up.

What else would explain this clown's obsession, with dozens and dozens of posts, trying to prove to people that Walton won't even get drafted. Every positive thing anybody says about Walton, this chick refutes in anyway possible.

I'm not saying he will be a first round choice and the best running back we've ever had. I'm not saying he doesn't have his faults, possibly vision being one of them.

What I am saying is he's been a fairly productive back, he works hard, so with that with excellent work ethic and some God-given ability and his killer work on special teams, not only does he get drafted, but he sticks in the NFL. This chick would have you believe otherwise.

Mark Walton might not be an elite back, but he's an excellent football player. Some of you people don't get that. Especially the psycho chick [MENTION=1107]bshaw28[/MENTION] that's stalking him on here.

Advertisement
I have zero idea if Walton is a high round or middle round pick. But I'm certain he gets drafted and I think with his running improvement and his stellar special teams play he makes a roster and he sticks.

The other thing I'm certain about about is that [MENTION=1107]bshaw28[/MENTION] is that psycho ***** chick that Walton stopped smashing last year and then tried to jam him up.

What else would explain this clown's obsession, with dozens and dozens of posts, trying to prove to people that Walton won't even get drafted. Every positive thing anybody says about Walton, this chick refutes in anyway possible.

I'm not saying he will be a first round choice and the best running back we've ever had. I'm not saying he doesn't have his faults, possibly vision being one of them.

What I am saying is he's been a fairly productive back, he works hard, so with that with excellent work ethic and some God-given ability and his killer work on special teams, not only does he get drafted, but he sticks in the NFL. This chick would have you believe otherwise.

Mark Walton might not be an elite back, but he's an excellent football player. Some of you people don't get that. Especially the psycho chick [MENTION=1107]bshaw28[/MENTION] that's stalking him on here.

Haha - pschycho ***** chick! Good analogy

I guess that makes you & the Walton apologists the chick that get beaten by their boyfriend but swear he's going to change? Yes he was bad in the past, but don't pay any attention to that!! He's working really hard, and he's getting better, you gotta believe me!!!

Are you arguing that Walton isn't elite?

Is it that Walton and Yearbt are equal, and neither is elite?

Or is it Yearby is better than Walton?

I'm arguing neither is elite. I think both are solid college RB's, but NFL journeyman at best.

I think Yearby is better, but it's close. I can see it if you think Walton is better. I can't see it if you think Walton is significantly better.

I didn't think Yearby was a stud when he ran for 1,000 yds in 2015. I don't think Walton is a stud because he ran for 1,000 yds in 2016.

I don't think being the starting RB at Miami automatically makes you a stud. I think it means you're the best of what we've got on the roster.

I think both Yearby & Walton are below the level of talent we should want/expect from a workhorse RB at Miami.

I think Yearby is a "C" back. He's an average back to me, at the P5 level.

But I think Walton is a "B" back. He's an above average P5 back.

I hear your points. And they validate the "not elite" argument, IMO. So, we agree on that. But Walton still has another season to add to his argument, so we'll see ...

As for who is better between the 2 of them ... We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate how thorough you are!

Bshaw, Walton's production in October was abysmal. I will give him some slack because that was also when Kaaya looked like dog**** and teams were loading the box against the run, daring us to throw which we couldn't. Regardless, Walton is not great based on last year, B- type, C vs decent power 5 teams. The projection is for him to become a B+ or better overall, B- or better vs decent power 5 teams in the upcoming season based upon his demonstrated progression since his freshman year.

I don't think he'll ever be elite. But he could end up very good in an offense that favors the run due to limitations at QB. I expect Walton averages 20 or more rushes a game, which at 14 games at 5 ypc is 1400 yards. Hopefully he carries fewer times for higher ypcs; would mean our QBs and backup RBs are capable of sharing the load more.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I guess that makes you & the Walton apologists the chick that get beaten by their boyfriend but swear he's going to change? Yes he was bad in the past, but don't pay any attention to that!! He's working really hard, and he's getting better, you gotta believe me!!!

Just another post proving you're stalking him, and adding more weight to the argument you were his jumpoff chick with a grudge.

Pretty much most people posting here aren't being Walton apologists, in fact most like myself are saying he's an average back at this point in time. Some might be saying he's above average. Time will tell.

But you've already got 40 posts in this thread tearing him down. I mean you don't even think he's going to get drafted which most reasonable people think he will.

You sure are acting like some obsessed psycho stalking chick.

Bshaw, Walton's production in October was abysmal. I will give him some slack because that was also when Kaaya looked like dog**** and teams were loading the box against the run, daring us to throw which we couldn't. Regardless, Walton is not great based on last year, B- type, C vs decent power 5 teams. The projection is for him to become a B+ or better overall, B- or better vs decent power 5 teams in the upcoming season based upon his demonstrated progression since his freshman year.

I don't think he'll ever be elite. But he could end up very good in an offense that favors the run due to limitations at QB. I expect Walton averages 20 or more rushes a game, which at 14 games at 5 ypc is 1400 yards. Hopefully he carries fewer times for higher ypcs; would mean our QBs and backup RBs are capable of sharing the load more.

I hear you, and you make great points. Honestly, it's ridiculous of me to say Walton getting 1,400 is impossible. It's definitely is possible. I think if you take an optimistic outlook you can see it, and I'm just taking a pessimistic approach because I don't like Walton.

Regardless of my thoughts on Walton, these are my reasons why I (pessimistically) think a 1,400 yard season won't happen:

1) YPC - It's rare for a RB's ypc to increase incrementally each year he's in college. On paper, it seems like it makes sense that it would, but in reality it doesn't. Example - of the Top 5 leading rushers in the ACC in 2015, all 5 had a lower ypc in 2016.

2) Passing Game - If the passing game struggled at times last year with Kaaya throwing to Richards/Coley/Njoku, and it caused Walton to struggle, then I'm assuming it's going to struggle at times this year with Perry/Rosier/Sherrifs throwing to Richards/Thomas/Herndon this year, with the same effect on Walton.

3) Amount of Carries 20 carries x 14 games = 280 carries. Again, this sounds like it makes sense on paper, but in actuality it's rare. Only 7 RB's had 280 or more carries last year. Most carries ever by a Miami RB in a season - 1) McGahee (282), 2) Tie - with Duke & Edge (242). Most carries by a Georgia RB under Richt - 1) Musa Smith (260), 2) Knowshon Moreno (250). 280 is just a really high number.

Just another post proving you're stalking him, and adding more weight to the argument you were his jumpoff chick with a grudge.

Pretty much most people posting here aren't being Walton apologists, in fact most like myself are saying he's an average back at this point in time. Some might be saying he's above average. Time will tell.

But you've already got 40 posts in this thread tearing him down. I mean you don't even think he's going to get drafted which most reasonable people think he will.

You sure are acting like some obsessed psycho stalking chick.

I totally understand that my amount of posts on Walton and what I'm saying is extremely annoying. I don't mind you coming at me. I get it.

I said - "I think like Yearby, Walton is a late round draft pick at best, but more likely an UDFA."

You said - "I have zero idea if Walton is a high round or middle round pick. But I'm certain he gets drafted"

I think Walton's Ceiling is a 5th round pick. If I'm reading right, you seem to be saying a 5th round pick is his Floor.

I agree, going into this season most reasonable people think he'll get drafted. I think going into last season most reasonable people also thought Yearby would get drafted.

You're right - time will tell. And I'll stfu about it now.

Advertisement
I agree with everything Bshaw posted and everyone else is just a homer wanting to see something that isn't there. Walton is an above average player nothing more nothing less.

ELITE UM backs
McGahee
Duke
Ottis Anderson
Portis
Edge

Excellent Backs
Frank Gore
Lamar Miller
James Jackson
Cleveland Gary
Alonzo Highsmith
Melvin Bratton cause of blocking and catch catching ability

Above Average
Mark Walton
Danyell Furgerson
Warren Williams
Stephen McGuire
Albert Bentley
Najeh Davenport

Starter level
Jarrett Peyton
Daryl Oliver
Yearby
Jabari's James
Craig Cooper
Mike James
Leonard Conely

Actually I thinking I might be overrating Walton cause he seems closer to the Starter Level group then the Above Average group. I just can't crown someone who averaged UNDER 4.0 ypc more games then he was OVER 4.0ypc. I seen lots of RBs have big seasons with average and below average OLINES but I believe you gotta be ELITE or EXCELLENT to do that something that Walton isn't right now.

I agree with everything Bshaw posted and everyone else is just a homer wanting to see something that isn't there. Walton is an above average player nothing more nothing less.

ELITE UM backs
McGahee
Duke
Ottis Anderson
Portis
Edge

Excellent Backs
Frank Gore
Lamar Miller
James Jackson
Cleveland Gary
Alonzo Highsmith
Melvin Bratton cause of blocking and catch catching ability

Above Average
Mark Walton
Danyell Furgerson
Warren Williams
Stephen McGuire
Albert Bentley
Najeh Davenport

Starter level
Jarrett Peyton
Daryl Oliver
Yearby
Jabari's James
Craig Cooper
Mike James
Leonard Conely

Actually I thinking I might be overrating Walton cause he seems closer to the Starter Level group then the Above Average group. I just can't crown someone who averaged UNDER 4.0 ypc more games then he was OVER 4.0ypc. I seen lots of RBs have big seasons with average and below average OLINES but I believe you gotta be ELITE or EXCELLENT to do that something that Walton isn't right now.

All I've got to say is that duke ran behind virtually an NFL line in all 3 of his years. Linder, flowers, feliciano, Henderson, McDermott/isidora all are playing in the NFL so it would be interesting to see how much better walton would have done if he had that line blocking for him.....

And let's be clear let's not act like duke johnson showed up in big games either ....
walton had that 3td 120 performance vs nc state who had a top 5 rushing defense in the country.
Duke had that 120 plus yard rushing performance vs fsu his junior year but was tapping to come out on the last drive of the game with a few minutes left.

Duke johnson was one of the best though no doubt regardless how mediocre he was sometimes(not all the time) against the good competiton

You're not an elite RB unless you can single handedly beat FSU...next season, which should be Walton's true Sophomore season (since he reclassified) will tell us all we need to know...Without a proven QB, it will be mostly up to him to set the tempo on the offensive side..

Walton might be the hardest worker on this team and I think it will pay off big time.

#43 is Ronald Jones. Jones has 8 less carries, and 502 more rushing yards than Walton in his career.

Makes perfect sense that he's ranked behind Walton.
Walton is literally one of the 5 best players on this team & you're constantly ****tin on him.

When he makes you look stupid this season I legit hope you stop posting for good, you're fake *** ****in "fan" who doesn't know **** about the game.

Kid has been through enough than to have bhitch made *** "fans" like you always coming after him because he doesn't meet your precious YPC standard.

I know, I know - and I know you hate when I post about Walton. I don't blame you for hating my negativity. I should probably not post at all. I get all that.

But it's just as infuriating to me to see Walton pumped up like 1 or 2nd round draft pick when it's very obvious to me he's not a very good RB. I've seen Walton play more then enough. I just don't see any way Walton makes me look stupid on this one. The hard part is there's just a ridiculous amount of stats to back me up on this.

It's like when I use to argue Dalvin Cook was better than Yearby. I just could not understand what the Yearby defenders were watching just like I can't understand what Walton defenders are watching now.

And YPC is one of the best ways to measure a RB's ability. It's in no way perfect or always accurate. But it's probably the best single stat to use, and Walton's ypc is just really pretty bad.

Walton is a really good running back. No one is calling him the GOAT. Yes as fans I think we'd all love to see him with a higher YPC average. But just because it isn't higher doesn't make him a bum. Walton is considered one of the top 50 players in the country you don't need perfect vision to be #41 . I don't see anyone propping up Walton as a high draft pick. Your arguments come off more like a personal vendetta because everyone agrees there are flaws in his game but you are frustrated we won't call him trash also.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back