Mark walton getting some national praise

Who started the whole Walton doesn't have vision thing?

And you determined that on some Wide shots from the ACC network. Stupid.

Walton is my favorite current Cane and I had never noticed a RB with poor vision until I saw him play. I don't know if he just tries to run to where the play is designed - I really don't know what the case is but he definitely runs into his offensive linemen more than anyone I've seen carry the ball. Regardless, he has been pretty dominant in ACC play and at times carried our offense. Also doesn't seem to have elite speed but he still had several long runs last year.
Don't get the hate; but then again this is the board the puts Gus Edwards on the pedestal.

Advertisement
[TWEET]829356689388400640[/TWEET]

[TWEET]811608168040001536[/TWEET]

He's progressing. I except him to have at least 1400 rushing yards this year

Television started it when they showed him run up his OL's back a bunch of times instead of stepping to the right or left where there was a hole.

Not only is Walton here but Ahmon Richards at #29

29. Ahmmon Richards, WR, Miami (Fla.): An amazing talent, Richards is as smooth off the line as any receiver I've seen in recent years. He's not only a fast strider, but has great hands and can make defenders miss with stop-start action.

#43 is Ronald Jones. Jones has 8 less carries, and 502 more rushing yards than Walton in his career.

Makes perfect sense that he's ranked behind Walton.
Walton is literally one of the 5 best players on this team & you're constantly ****tin on him.

When he makes you look stupid this season I legit hope you stop posting for good, you're fake *** ****in "fan" who doesn't know **** about the game.

Kid has been through enough than to have bhitch made *** "fans" like you always coming after him because he doesn't meet your precious YPC standard.

I don't like the one time well some of them well most of them. This is new to me but entertaining as ****....go gettem lib

Advertisement

Walton is my favorite current Cane and I had never noticed a RB with poor vision until I saw him play. I don't know if he just tries to run to where the play is designed - I really don't know what the case is but he definitely runs into his offensive linemen more than anyone I've seen carry the ball. Regardless, he has been pretty dominant in ACC play and at times carried our offense. Also doesn't seem to have elite speed but he still had several long runs last year.
Don't get the hate; but then again this is the board the puts Gus Edwards on the pedestal.

He faster than duke Johnson imo

Is the last 5-games when the schedule let up AND the team made a change in the OL? I want to say yes, but I don't know how to validate that via goggle

Is the last 5-games when the schedule let up AND the team made a change in the OL? I want to say yes, but I don't know how to validate that via goggle

You might think that but Virginia dline caused Louisville ****. Pitt had a good dline last year and ncstate had a top 5 rushing defense in the country

#43 is Ronald Jones. Jones has 8 less carries, and 502 more rushing yards than Walton in his career.

Walton is literally one of the 5 best players on this team & you're constantly ****tin on him.

When he makes you look stupid this season I legit hope you stop posting for good, you're fake *** ****in "fan" who doesn't know **** about the game.

Kid has been through enough than to have bhitch made *** "fans" like you always coming after him because he doesn't meet your precious YPC standard.

I know, I know - and I know you hate when I post about Walton. I don't blame you for hating my negativity. I should probably not post at all. I get all that.

But it's just as infuriating to me to see Walton pumped up like 1 or 2nd round draft pick when it's very obvious to me he's not a very good RB. I've seen Walton play more then enough. I just don't see any way Walton makes me look stupid on this one. The hard part is there's just a ridiculous amount of stats to back me up on this.

It's like when I use to argue Dalvin Cook was better than Yearby. I just could not understand what the Yearby defenders were watching just like I can't understand what Walton defenders are watching now.

And YPC is one of the best ways to measure a RB's ability. It's in no way perfect or always accurate. But it's probably the best single stat to use, and Walton's ypc is just really pretty bad.

Advertisement
Here's the problem with the stats Brock posting and saying Walton is going for 1,400 yards.....

1) 55 of Walton's 98 yards came in the one run late in the Pitt game when he, shocker, started the run by running into his own Offensive Lineman.

2) Against P5 Teams - Walton's first 15 games he averaged 3.11 yds rush with 6 TD's. In his last 2 P5 games he averaged 3.7 ypc.

So the argument for Walton is to ignore 17 of those games and judge him on 3 of them?

Walton has averaged 3.5 ypc in 16 of the 26 games he's played in. There's no chance....0%....that he will rush for 1.400 yards this year. Zero.

Here's the problem with the stats Brock posting and saying Walton is going for 1,400 yards.....

1) 55 of Walton's 98 yards came in the one run late in the Pitt game when he, shocker, started the run by running into his own Offensive Lineman.

2) Against P5 Teams - Walton's first 15 games he averaged 3.11 yds rush with 6 TD's. In his last 2 P5 games he averaged 3.7 ypc.

So the argument for Walton is to ignore 17 of those games and judge him on 3 of them?

Walton has averaged 3.5 ypc in 16 of the 26 games he's played in. There's no chance....0%....that he will rush for 1.400 yards this year. Zero.

You conveniently didn't mention his 120 yards 2 tds vs ncstate who had the best rushing defense we played against last year ranked in the top 5 in the country. Also had mark waltons td vs fsu not been called back he woud have even better numbers. He will be leaned on even more this year with yearby and Edwards gone

You conveniently didn't mention his 120 yards 2 tds vs ncstate who had the best rushing defense we played against last year ranked in the top 5 in the country. Also had mark waltons td vs fsu not been called back he woud have even better numbers. He will be leaned on even more this year with yearby and Edwards gone

Mark Walton played a great game against NC St. He actually had 3 TD's in that game. The 24 yd TD run in that game was IMO his most impressive run ever. I would 100% be on board with Walton if I thought that's how he could consistently play. But I've seen too many games to know that game was an outlier.

Here's his YPC vs Power 5 games in his career:

3.6+ YPC - Pitt, NC St., UVA, UVA, Duke, Duke (6 Games. He averaged over 5.0 ypc in 4 of them)
3.5 or less YPC - Nebraska, FSU, FSU, VT, VT, Clemson, UNC, UNC, GT, GT, Pitt, Wash St., ND, WVU (14 Games. He averaged under 3.0 ypc in 7 of them)

What I don't understand is - Why you would only concentrate on his 2 good games against good teams (Pitt & NC St.) and ignore the 14 other ones? Why would you point out the 1 run called back against FSU or 1 run called back against Nebraska and ignore the 200+ runs that weren't called back?

Here's the list of Miami RB's ever to have 1,400 yd seasons - McGahee, Edge, Duke

Do you really think Mark Walton is going to join that list?

Last edited:

I know, I know - and I know you hate when I post about Walton. I don't blame you for hating my negativity. I should probably not post at all. I get all that.

But it's just as infuriating to me to see Walton pumped up like 1 or 2nd round draft pick when it's very obvious to me he's not a very good RB. I've seen Walton play more then enough. I just don't see any way Walton makes me look stupid on this one. The hard part is there's just a ridiculous amount of stats to back me up on this.

It's like when I use to argue Dalvin Cook was better than Yearby. I just could not understand what the Yearby defenders were watching just like I can't understand what Walton defenders are watching now.

And YPC is one of the best ways to measure a RB's ability. It's in no way perfect or always accurate. But it's probably the best single stat to use, and Walton's ypc is just really pretty bad.

Just stop. While I don't think Walton is a 1st round draft pick, he's obviously a way above average college RB.

Advertisement

Mark Walton played a great game against NC St. He actually had 3 TD's in that game. The 24 yd TD run in that game was IMO his most impressive run ever. I would 100% be on board with Walton if I thought that's how he could consistently play. But I've seen too many games to know that game was an outlier.

3.6+ YPC - Pitt, NC St., UVA, UVA, Duke, Duke (6 Games. He averaged over 5.0 ypc in 4 of them)
3.5 or less YPC - Nebraska, FSU, FSU, VT, VT, Clemson, UNC, UNC, GT, GT, Pitt, Wash St., ND, WVU (14 Games. He averaged under 3.0 ypc in 7 of them)

What I don't understand is - Why you would only concentrate on his 2 good games against good teams (Pitt & NC St.) and ignore the 14 other ones? Why would you point out the 1 run called back against FSU or 1 run called back against Nebraska and ignore the 200+ runs that weren't called back?

Here's the list of Miami RB's ever to have 1,400 yd seasons - McGahee, Edge, Duke

TBH, it's not inconceivable. My guess is that Brock's adding in the ACCCG, and I don't think we had 12 regular-season games when McGahee and Edge played. So Walton will have more games to get there. And we really need him to average 100 ypgs this year to take pressure off the QB. I'm sure Richt is hoping he can be more balanced this year, and will give him the load if he can handle it.

I'm with you that Walton has bad vision. On the other hand, he HAS had a lot of big plays called back, much more than typical, and I believe all of them were either phantom penalties or not meaningful to his runs. If you added those in, his ypc's would look a lot better. Plus, he really did improve year-on-year between 2015 and 2016, as well as in-season last year during 2016. That's unusual for a feature back. So there's hope there he'll take one final step.

You are completely missing the point. Mark walton made me into a believer this last season. I thought yearby was better heading into the season however due to his play and heart I clearly recognize what walton is doing. No one said his career started off great however he is improving which is great for us and my point...

TBH, it's not inconceivable. My guess is that Brock's adding in the ACCCG, and I don't think we had 12 regular-season games when McGahee and Edge played. So Walton will have more games to get there. And we really need him to average 100 ypgs this year to take pressure off the QB. I'm sure Richt is hoping he can be more balanced this year, and will give him the load if he can handle it.

I'm with you that Walton has bad vision. On the other hand, he HAS had a lot of big plays called back, much more than typical, and I believe all of them were either phantom penalties or not meaningful to his runs. If you added those in, his ypc's would look a lot better. Plus, he really did improve year-on-year between 2015 and 2016, as well as in-season last year during 2016. That's unusual for a feature back. So there's hope there he'll take one final step.

2016 - There were 70 players had 1,000 yds rushing. Walton's 5.34 ypc ranked 49th out of 70. He had just an average ypc, not a good one.
2015 - Of the Top 250 players in rushing yds, Walton's 3.49 ypc ranked 242nd out of 250. His 2016 ypc improvement was a jump from god awful to average.

I could roll out stat after stat after stat after stat about Walton. No one's going to pay attention. People would rather believe the bad OL, bad play calling, he has a ton of plays called back excuses. It is what it is.

But let's just look at the called back FSU run, which people always seem to want to use as an example of Walton's best run, and then I'll stfu on Walton (at least until the season starts).

Yes - the run would've improved his ypc. Yes - he showed incredible balance on this run.

But Yes - Walton, running at full speed, gets yanked to the ground with one hand by Ermon Lane. That should not happen, especially on one of your "best" runs. And that's why Walton is just an average RB.

[video]https://j.gifs.com/3lPMMr.gif[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement

You are completely missing the point. Mark walton made me into a believer this last season. I thought yearby was better heading into the season however due to his play and heart I clearly recognize what walton is doing. No one said his career started off great however he is improving which is great for us and my point...

I completely get your point. You and a majority of this board are believers in Walton, and you've given your reasons why.

I just happen to disagree.

If you say "he's improving" - I totally agree with you on that. But it's statements like "I'd expect a 1,400 yd season" or people saying he'll be a "1st to 3rd round draft pick" that just sound crazy to me.

IMO - Walton is just an average RB. I'm not a believer. I think his talent is very similar to Yearby, even though I think Yearby outplayed him. I think like Yearby, Walton is a late round draft pick at best, but more likely an UDFA. And people think I'm crazy and a complete idiot for thinking that. But I give my reasons why.

[MENTION=1107]bshaw28[/MENTION] Where is Walton at in terms of TD's with those top rushers

2016 - There were 70 players had 1,000 yds rushing. Walton's 5.34 ypc ranked 49th out of 70. He had just an average ypc, not a good one.
2015 - Of the Top 250 players in rushing yds, Walton's 3.49 ypc ranked 242nd out of 250. His 2016 ypc improvement was a jump from god awful to average.

I could roll out stat after stat after stat after stat about Walton. No one's going to pay attention. People would rather believe the bad OL, bad play calling, he has a ton of plays called back excuses. It is what it is.

But let's just look at the called back FSU run, which people always seem to want to use as an example of Walton's best run, and then I'll stfu on Walton (at least until the season starts).

Yes - the run would've improved his ypc. Yes - he showed incredible balance on this run.

But Yes - Walton, running at full speed, gets yanked to the ground with one hand by Ermon Lane. That should not happen, especially on one of your "best" runs. And that's why Walton is just an average RB.

[video]https://j.gifs.com/3lPMMr.gif[/video]

Are you arguing that Walton isn't elite?

Is it that Walton and Yearbt are equal, and neither is elite?

Or is it Yearby is better than Walton?

I completely get your point. You and a majority of this board are believers in Walton, and you've given your reasons why.

I just happen to disagree.

If you say "he's improving" - I totally agree with you on that. But it's statements like "I'd expect a 1,400 yd season" or people saying he'll be a "1st to 3rd round draft pick" that just sound crazy to me.

IMO - Walton is just an average RB. I'm not a believer. I think his talent is very similar to Yearby, even though I think Yearby outplayed him. I think like Yearby, Walton is a late round draft pick at best, but more likely an UDFA. And people think I'm crazy and a complete idiot for thinking that. But I give my reasons why.

I'd honestly like to see what any running back, especially this boards favorite dalvin cook, would have done behind last years abysmal o-line play + running into stacked 9 man boxes

I'm quite surprised he even had the season he ended up having

Advertisement
Back