Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Advertisement
Mario can get the roster up to par and just hope we hire ex HCs as analysts to cover his wars. Butch and Coker were bad game day coaches. Thank God for Ed Reed and Dorsey! Find the leaders like TVD/Garcia and LT/JW to will us to wins.
He'll build the roster up to the point where it's even more heartbreaking we're sitting at 2 losses with no shot at the playoffs.

Completely agree. As Lu said late last week bring in an AD that can change the foundation of the program and provide the HC all the tools they need to succeed. There are no undefeated coaches walking through the door, all will have some deficiencies. I feel like Mario would be the guy in it for the long haul, Kiffin typically uses jobs as a spring board for the next opportunity.
1899, this is where a strong infrastructure can help not just Mario but the whole program, in that if you have strong football minds they can guide any coach and tell him, "Hey, we love you overall, but we have concerns about the offensive/defensive system you run."

Then you can help guide them in terms of who they hire and what they run

It's interesting, when I see Lane, I have concerns about if he will pay enough attention to the defense. With Mario, what he runs offensively. But to me, these are NOT insurmountable hurdles with either guy. Both guys will recruit well, in my view.

I look at Oregon this season, and I'd like to think that would they run with Anthony Brown at QB (who is very limited in the pass game) is different than what Mario would like TVD to do.

But Miami's issues go far beyond just a head coach. And they already are in the process of taking care of that as it relates to the AD

1899, this is where a strong infrastructure can help not just Mario but the whole program, in that if you have strong football minds they can guide any coach and tell him, "Hey, we love you overall, but we have concerns about the offensive/defensive system you run."

Then you can help guide them in terms of who they hire and what they run

It's interesting, when I see Lane, I have concerns about if he will pay enough attention to the defense. With Mario, what he runs offensively. But to me, these are NOT insurmountable hurdles with either guy. Both guys will recruit well, in my view.

I look at Oregon this season, and I'd like to think that would they run with Anthony Brown at QB (who is very limited in the pass game) is different than what Mario would like TVD to do.

But Miami's issues go far beyond just a head coach. And they already are in the process of taking care of that as it relates to the AD
My question is why stick with Brown who obviously limits your offense

Advertisement
Mario has been at Oregon for 5 years. Taking out his first year and the COVID year, he won 10 regular season games twice (2/3) season. Including both, he’s won 10 regular season games 40 percent of the time. Looking at his last 3 seasons, this one included, he’ll have won 10 regular season games 2 out of the last 3 times. Why 3 loses a year?

Hes 34 -12 in 3.5 seasons of work. Do all the backlips and deletions of years you want. Your record is your record. If he played a full season last year his record would be even worse.

Hes 34 -12 in 3.5 seasons of work. Do all the backlips and deletions of years you want. Your record is your record. If he played a full season last year his record would be even worse.
It's doing a backflip to point out that he's done better in the past 3 years than the first 2 years? Isn't that what you want to see in a coach? Someone who comes in, builds a culture, recruits, figures coordinators out, and improves? What about Dabo's record in the first 5 years? What about Jimbo's at FSU?

It's doing a backflip to point out that he's done better in the past 3 years than the first 2 years? Isn't that what you want to see in a coach? Someone who comes in, builds a culture, recruits, figures coordinators out, and improves? What about Dabo's record in the first 5 years? What about Jimbo's at FSU?

He went 4-3 last year. Oregon is in their worst QB situation in 15+ years, theyre still losing to teams significantly less talented than them.

Both Dabo and Jimbo were great OCs ...they brought more than recruiting to the table.

The guy is 22-9 in the pac12......

Advertisement
That 9-10 isnt a given...

This isnt the Pac12

Exactly. So here's what I want to know. Cristobals bread and butter is supposed to be OL and DL. The entire Oregon team is Cristobal recruits. They went through his S&C program, but they got bullied on both sides of the ball by Utah. This wasn't some trap game. The odds makers actually favored #24 Utah because they felt #4 Oregon was a paper tiger (shades of 2017 UM).

Mario's biggest positive is that he's a super duper recruiter (like Richt was said to be). Maybe I'm wrong here, but Mario doesn't seem to have a massive advantage in gameday coaching ability over Diaz. Both rely heavily on coordinators to do the strategic thinking for them (unfortunately for Diaz, he didn't get a DC even though everyone knew it was necessary). And if you look at this season with unbiased eyes, Diaz is getting more out of his offense than Mario. So it seems like the thing that makes Mario so superior to all the candidates is recruiting.

So hypothetically, lets say Diaz added a god tier recruiter to his staff. Wouldn't that give UM the same results as hiring Cristobal?

Advertisement
He went 4-3 last year. Oregon is in their worst QB situation in 15+ years, theyre still losing to teams significantly less talented than them.

Both Dabo and Jimbo were great OCs ...they brought more than recruiting to the table.

The guy is 22-9 in the pac12......
Dabo has never been a coordinator. Fisher was a decent OC, he spiked with Jameis. I haven't been impress with Fisher at all.

Advertisement
Xs and Os matter. Cristobal offers no schematic advantage. You can't out-talent your way into a national championship. Not even an ACC championship judging Clemson this year.
Georgia may be doing just that this year, at least offensively.

Their defense is historic and carries that program. Kirby recruits like a madman but he's an ace coordinator too.
I was focusing more on their offense.

Fair point with how good that defense is, but how much of it is Kirby as DC vs Kirby as recruiter. He has dudes all over, including the best DT in recent memory. I’ll be curious what it looks like without Jordan Davis. He is the type of player that can make a lot of DCs look like a genius.

Advertisement
Back