Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Temple and FIU were in pretty comparable condition, hence the comparison.
No they actually weren’t. Fiu was so far below temple quality at that time. Goldens record included temple and UM because he got the UM job and failed there. We don’t need the context of Mario’s fiu era to understand who he is as a coach as we have been watching him for 4 years at Oregon. Golden we didn’t have that.

Advertisement
Al Golden 59-59 @ UM and Temple
Mario Christobal 61-59 @ FIU and Oregon

Both turds who occasionally float at the top of mediocrity.

Horrific take. Mario inherited an 0-12 program when he took the FIU job. Building back from that, and being at a resourceless program with as low a ceiling as there was in CFB is going to be an albatross against your overall win record. He did a very good job at FIU, built them back to a winner that won the conference championship. Again, from 0-12 before he got there, worst team in CFB... to conference champions. That's where 90% of his losses come from. Come on, bud.

Last edited:
Funny.

I tried to tell all you guys that were hoping for a Mario loss so that he would be more likely to take the Miami job that you would no longer want him if he did lose.

Well, here we are.
You correctly predicted that many of our board members hover around room temperature IQs

I didn’t like anything I saw from Mario tonight. He can stay out west.
Sure but you were unimpressed when he beat OSU and super impressed when Lane lost by double digits to Auburn and to Bama by almost the same score as Manny. What kind of dumb knee-jerk sh*t is this?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm on the WEZ but Mario is a neantherdal Al Golden 2.0, yall are deluding yourselves if you think he's the savior of Miami Football

Advertisement
Go with Kiffin for sure if you can get him. If everyone is so sure Kiffin wouldn't stay here long Mario will be available in 2 or 3 years when Oregon fires him.

Advertisement
Hey, but for real, on this topic, something went wrong with how Herbert was handled at Oregon. It's not even what he's done in the NFL. Dude stepped into the Senior Bowl and looked like he had previously played a different sport to the one he now dominated. People were even skeptical about the difference in how he looked. I can't tell you exactly why or how this happened, but it's strange to have not unleashed him while at Oregon. I'm sure there's some explanation we don't know about.

Here's an excerpt:

Strangely though, despite insane tools at 6-6 and 236 pounds with a live arm and effortless athleticism, in 2019 Oregon restricted Herbert, making him a secondary piece of the offense and focusing on running the football and playing sound defense. Think about that for a second. Oregon had a legitimate contender to be the No. 1 overall pick at quarterback, and had no qualms about placing him in the background of the offense. But, from a team perspective, the philosophy worked. The Ducks went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl.

But it completely confounded the draft community. Why would Oregon schematically limit Herbert's importance? Why was Herbert playing so conservatively? Where were the deep strikes? The awesome throws while on the move? The long scrambles? Why are they running on third and long?

giphy.gif

Horrific take. Mario inherited an 0-12 program when he took the FIU job. Building back from that, and being at a resourceless program with as low a ceiling as there was in CFB is going to be an albatross against your overall win record. He did a very good job at FIU, built them back to a winner that won conference championship. Again, from 0-12 before he got there, worst team in CFB... to conference champions. That's where 90% of his losses come from. Come on, bud.
Temple was went 3-31 the 3 years before Golden, they could barely field a team they were so short on players. He was elected into the temple HOF for whatever that's worth. Christobal was fired from FIU.

Temple was went 3-31 the 3 years before Golden, they could barely field a team they were so short on players. He was elected into the temple HOF for whatever that's worth. Christobal was fired from FIU.

Dude Temple was terrible but FIU was non-functional. If you want to praise Golden you're on your own here!

And using Mario being fired from FIU as a cornerstone of any argument against him is ludicrous. It was an idiotic firing by an idiotic AD and it literally ground that AD's career to a halt. Mighty Alabama and Saban snapped him right up. Mario took a 0-12 non-functioning, unsupported, resourceless commuter school program full of soccer loving students who live with their abuelas and won the conference championship as a first time head coach. THEN hew went and learned under Saban and won rings, THEN he went and had success as a high level assistant at Oregon, and THEN he turned Oregon into a true winner again as a head coach (keep in mind they won 4 games and 7 games in the two years before he took over), and he's already won 12 games in a season, won a Rose Bowl, went to the Fiesta, and is having another excellent year right now. Come on, man.

Go Dark Helmet GIF

Dude Temple was terrible but FIU was non-functional. If you want to praise Golden you're on your own here!

And using Mario being fired from FIU as a cornerstone of any argument against him is ludicrous. It was an idiotic firing by an idiotic AD and it literally ground that AD's career to a halt. Mighty Alabama and Saban snapped him right up. Mario took a 0-12 non-functioning, unsupported, resourceless commuter school program full of soccer loving students who live with their abuelas and won the conference championship as a first time head coach. THEN hew went and learned under Saban and won rings, THEN he went and had success as a high level assistant at Oregon, and THEN he turned Oregon into a true winner again as a head coach (keep in mind they won 4 games and 7 games in the two years before he took over), and he's already won 12 games in a season, won a Rose Bowl, went to the Fiesta, and is having another excellent year right now. Come on, man.

Go Dark Helmet GIF
You glossed over the fact he accepted jobs from Al Golden and Willie Taggart. I think Christobal has a lot of potential but his body of work is not worth what we're going to have to pay him. His team lacks discipline and plays to the level of their competition or worse. He underwhelmed with Herbert at the helm and now has Oregon in the worst QB situation i can remember in 15 years.

All that being said there is no doubt he's an improvement and could help bring some stability to the program. I don't hate the hire but if we go out and hire Miami guys at both AD and HC again I'll be disappointed.

Remember this....

From Alonzo Highsmith
FERb70uUUAIU2qu

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back