Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

You glossed over the fact he accepted jobs from Al Golden and Willie Taggart. I think Christobal has a lot of potential but his body of work is not worth what we're going to have to pay him. His team lacks discipline and plays to the level of their competition or worse. He underwhelmed with Herbert at the helm and now has Oregon in the worst QB situation i can remember in 15 years.

All that being said there is no doubt he's an improvement and could help bring some stability to the program. I don't hate the hire but if we go out and hire Miami guys at both AD and HC again I'll be disappointed.

Come on, man. Stop. He literally ghosted Golden after three weeks. He was way ahead of EVERYONE on AG. He got a major promotion to go to OU where he was co-offensive coordinator and running game coordinator so no bad judgment there. He got the title and opportunity he was looking for. And he ended up becoming the head coach at Oregon and his children and their children are now set for life so I am not sure I'd be questioning his judgment on that one. He checkmated that situation. I feel like you are just looking for things to pick on.

Like I said, I am not some fanboy, but like you said, he's an improvement, or as I say, either him or Kiffin would easily be the best HC we'd have in this century so far.

100% Agree on the nepotism thing, but really at AD IMO because I don't see a qualified former player. Former players need to knock that Toretta/AH crap off. I don't think Mario would be hired BECAUSE he is a former player, I think the only reason we would have a CHANCE at stealing a 12 win coach from Oregon is because he is a former player/raised here.

Advertisement
This is what worries me about Mario.

He's supposed to be a great recruiter that builds inside-out and has tough teams, but Oregon was completely outmatched tonight. They got beat up on both lines and that talent advantage he compiled didn't show up because at a certain point x's and o's matter.

He has a ceiling and it isn't a national championship. If you're fine winning 9-10 games a year and making NY6 bowls but never competing for the biggest stage, then Mario is your guy.
That 9-10 isnt a given...

This isnt the Pac12

Advertisement
Well without knowing either individual I get ur skepticism. VERY different people. Kiffin just wants to make money and get back to the NFL. His path to that is far more so in the sec than it is here where it's not an even playing field. He's also not interested in a long term situation. Mario you mention being an alum and coming home in the same breath while you dismiss the relevance of that. #1 Mario is a family guy. Him, Jessica, his kids, all born and raised here. His entire family firmly established in the community and the kind of guy Mario is to be in a position to coach at the University that it all started out at... To put his career this early on in a position he'll NEVER have to go anywhere again and be surrounded by all of the people he knows and loves... His attention is piqued. Now it's up to us to get a good ad in place and make it happen. Still a few steps in this process and only one stone has fallen. So I'm gonna cut my side of this right here. Have a blessed day

Miami badly needs quality and stability. Since 2010 they've had Shannon, Golden, Richt and Diaz. Not good

Gimme a guy that is not only good, but will stick around a bit.

There is no perfect candidates. But I know Mario checks a lot of boxes for me

Funny.

I tried to tell all you guys that were hoping for a Mario loss so that he would be more likely to take the Miami job that you would no longer want him if he did lose.

Well, here we are.
I still want him!

Everyone loses games and sometimes badly. Brian Kelly got smacked by us in 2017. Kirby Smart with all that talent hasn’t won anything but this year might be it.

Beating Utah 30-7 or losing to them 30-7 doesn’t make Mario a bad coach. This Oregon team is probably 1 year or 2 from really being at their peak.

Mario will be fine.

You were on point wifh manny from day 1 in our private convos. I gave the super fan a chance but he’s clearly not a football guy

as Ive said before, this was like making Michael Scott the CEO of Dunder-Mufflin

That second point is what worries me most with Mario. We'll out-talent most teams and still lose games we have no business losing. I'll still take him because he'll elevate the program to another level but anyone thinking about CFB championship with Mario needs to be realistic in their expectations. I think he gives us a good 5 or 6 years then we run him out of town for falling short of the CFB playoff back to back.

Oregon hasn't won anything and their still eating Mario alive, imagine what we'll do to him after that honeymoon period wears off. CIS will try to deport him to ****. Lol

Advertisement
Unpersuasive point by OP. We're basically a .500 team since joining the ACC. Have won the Coastal like once or twice. Typically win around 6-8 games a year and consistently drop games to teams like Virginia, Pitt, etc. We ******* suck.

Sure I'd like a coach that has the juice to eventually make us a championship contender. But I won't be upset one bit if we grab a proven coach, whose learned from the best, that'll elevate our recruiting and win the Coastal more times than not. That's a recipe to finish top 10/15 most years, potentially win the ACC championship, and perhaps sneak into the CFP. There's your "discernible advantage."

Do I want to be Bama/Ohio State? Obviously. But, given how low we are right now, I have no problem hiring someone who will take us down the Oklahoma/Notre Dame path. We can level up from there.

Last edited:
Utah dominated the line of scrimmage, oftentimes running for touchdowns on third and long situations inside red zone. When they threw the ball, No. 23 Utah's tight ends were wide open and made the Ducks pay for letting them get open. Twice Oregon made a third and long situation inside their 20 yard-line, and each time the Ducks committed a penalty, gave Utah an easier chance at success, and each time Utah scored touchdowns on the drive.

https://fishduck.com/2021/11/oregon-football-ducks-crash-and-burn-raising-tough-questions/

Advertisement
Miami badly needs quality and stability. Since 2010 they've had Shannon, Golden, Richt and Diaz. Not good

Gimme a guy that is not only good, but will stick around a bit.

There is no perfect candidates. But I know Mario checks a lot of boxes for me
Completely agree. As Lu said late last week bring in an AD that can change the foundation of the program and provide the HC all the tools they need to succeed. There are no undefeated coaches walking through the door, all will have some deficiencies. I feel like Mario would be the guy in it for the long haul, Kiffin typically uses jobs as a spring board for the next opportunity.

Miami fans = averaging 3 losses a year will bring us stability.
Mario has been at Oregon for 5 years. Taking out his first year and the COVID year, he won 10 regular season games twice (2/3) season. Including both, he’s won 10 regular season games 40 percent of the time. Looking at his last 3 seasons, this one included, he’ll have won 10 regular season games 2 out of the last 3 times. Why 3 loses a year?

Advertisement
Unpersuasive point by OP. We're basically a .500 team since joining the ACC. Have won the Coastal like once or twice. Typically win around 6-8 games a year and consistently drop games to teams like Virginia, Pitt, etc. We ******* suck.

Sure I'd like a coach that has the juice to eventually make us a championship contender. But I won't be upset one bit if we grab a proven coach, whose learned from the best, that'll elevate our recruiting and win the Coastal more times than not. That's a recipe to finish top 10/15 most years, potentially win the ACC championship, and perhaps sneak into the CFP. There's your "discernible advantage."

Do I want to be Bama/Ohio State? Obviously. But, given how low we are right now, I have no problem hiring someone who will take us down the Oklahoma/Notre Dame path. We can level up from there.
In the last 3 years Cristobal has lost to Stanford, Utah, Cal, Oregon State and Arizona State. How is that any different than losing to VT or Pitt?

In the last 3 years Cristobal has lost to Stanford, Utah, Cal, Oregon State and Arizona State. How is that any different than losing to VT or Pitt?
shrug2.gif

Because we lose 3-6 games a year and he's won 10 regular season games twice in the last 3 years? Big difference.

Mario can get the roster up to par and just hope we hire ex HCs as analysts to cover his warts. Butch and Coker were bad game day coaches. Thank God for Ed Reed and Dorsey! Find the leaders like TVD/Garcia and LT/JW to will us to wins.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back