Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Advertisement
This dude really said ā€œyeah Mario can get us to the playoffs, but what then!!?!??ā€ WITH A STRAIGHT ******* FACE!!!!

Bro, 24 months ago we lost to ******* FIU! We just got beat by a 3-6 team. Weā€™ve lost 7 of our last 12 games. Do you have any idea how out of my ever loving mind I would be if we sniffed the god**** playoff????
I want to get back to finishing top 10-15 and looking like a real team. Then build from there. Weve sucked for a long time.

Their defense is historic and carries that program. Kirby recruits like a madman but he's an ace coordinator too.

Lol the corch who put Justin Fields on the fake punt unit?!?!?

Kirby is winning with sheer talent period

Where was that ace coordinator when Riley put up 50 on them in the playoffs?

Advertisement
You all make great points and you could be absolutely correct. I'll take Mario, the U
I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
This is dumb. Mario is far better than anything we've had in decades!

I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
Okay so he is a better version of Manny who can actually recruit. Hello re Gina staff & I will take it.

I've never been impressed with Dabo. Elite recruiting with elite staff is less than solid X and Os but look how many titles he got. The thing about Mario, if you are this type of coach, you better recruit elite QBs all of the time like Watson and Lawrence

Advertisement
Bruh, I hate to be it, but I'm gone be u on the mario hire. And it aint just this game that has me worried.

I just don't see it, excellent recruiter bad gameday coach. Feel like we need someone who can do both with a slight lean towards X & O's. UNLESS we finna start droppin bags.
Gameday coaching, player development and motivation/charisma are what Manny is lacking. His recruiting, according to rankings, has actually been pretty good, no?

No they actually werenā€™t. Fiu was so far below temple quality at that time. Goldens record included temple and UM because he got the UM job and failed there. We donā€™t need the context of Marioā€™s fiu era to understand who he is as a coach as we have been watching him for 4 years at Oregon. Golden we didnā€™t have that.

Temple and FIU being comparable might be the dumbest thing Iā€™ve read on here in awhile. Players at Fiu changed in closets and the facilities were that of a broke *** high school. No words lol.

Temple was went 3-31 the 3 years before Golden, they could barely field a team they were so short on players. He was elected into the temple HOF for whatever that's worth. Christobal was fired from FIU.
No , Temple went from the big East to the mac while having fat better players than most opponents in conference. So once again itā€™s a ridiculous comparison. A big East program versus FIU who was Hadley surviving. Smh

Advertisement
Temple and FIU being comparable might be the dumbest thing Iā€™ve read on here in awhile. Players at Fiu changed in closets and the facilities were that of a broke *** high school. No words lol.
Is today going to be a good day?

km_20211204-1_1080p_1.gif

No , Temple went from the big East to the mac while having fat better players than most opponents in conference. So once again itā€™s a ridiculous comparison. A big East program versus FIU who was Hadley surviving. Smh
They were kicked out of the Big East for being a doormat. He took them to their first bowl in 30 years.

Mario had a chance to win the Sun Belt conference but of course lost the game and settled for "co-champion" @ 7-6.

Advertisement
They were kicked out of the Big East for being a doormat. He took them to their first bowl in 30 years.

Mario had a chance to win the Sun Belt conference but of course lost the game and settled for "co-champion" @ 7-6.

Do you even have a clue what youā€™re saying? A big East team was kicked out and went to the Mac. People at temple compared rosters and broke it down when we landed him , how it was smoke in mirrors. He took big East players to the Mac, yes temple sucked in the big East but had far better players and recruiting versus mac teams who recruit at a Mac level. Golden was in fact doing less with more as their fans said .

Comparing Fiu under Mario to Temple is so idiotic on so many levels , I canā€™t even comprehend it lol. But then again youā€™re the same guy who said ā€œ Oregon recruited at an elite level president Mario , Nike bags broā€. Temple was nowhere in the stratosphere as FIU, who was barely keeping the lights on. On top of that the programs history was five years old lol. Yeah , real apple's to apples.

Just stop while youā€™re ahead.

Do you even have a clue what youā€™re saying? A big East team was kicked out and went to the Mac. People at temple compared rosters and broke it down when we landed him , how it was smoke in mirrors. He took big East players to the Mac, yes temple sucked in the big East but had far better players and recruiting versus mac teams who recruit at a Mac level. Golden was in fact doing less with more as their fans said .

Comparing Fiu under Mario to Temple is so idiotic on so many levels , I canā€™t even comprehend it lol. But then again youā€™re the same guy who said ā€œ Oregon recruited at an elite level president Mario , Nike bags broā€. Temple was nowhere in the stratosphere as FIU, who was barely keeping the lights on.

Just stop while youā€™re ahead.
So Golden get's no credit for reviving their program and getting them back to the big east but Mario is a Gawd for a 7-6 Co Championship season and then getting fired. Lol. It's not an apples and apples comparison, that's not what i claimed it to be. But it's relevant.

I'm sure if Mario didn't fall on his face again this season Oregon would be offering more to keep him.....but continue on.

So Golden get's no credit for reviving their program and getting them back to the big east but Mario is a Gawd for a 7-6 Co Championship season and then getting fired. Lol. It's not an apples and apples comparison, that's not what i claimed it to be. But it's relevant.

I'm sure if Mario didn't fall on his face again this season Oregon would be offering more to keep him.....but continue on.
Go educate yourself rather speaking on myths. He didnā€™t fix crap, he took a Automatic qualifying roster ( equivalent of power five now) down to the Mac level. Yet only went 8-4 with better players recruited while in AQ conference. Itā€™s pretty self explanatory and easy to understandā€¦..for most people.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back